HealthKit defective [again]; Apple promises a fix via not one, but two iOS updates

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Apple is once again running into issues with its Health app, although this time around, the situation isn't as grave as the first time.

It turns out that blood glucose levels can only be entered or viewed using United States measurements, which are specified in mg/dL. The SI unit for blood glucose levels (used by basically the rest of the world) is mmol/L (millimoles per liter).

So, to paraphrase from the article I linked to above, Apple will go about getting this fixed using a two-step process. The first step will consist of an iOS 8 update to disable this particular function of the Health app altogether. Then, their iOS 8 team will go learn a little bit about using mmol/L to measure blood sugar (I guess they realize they need the time, since they feel the need to shut the feature down while they work on a fix and then re-enable it as opposed to just fixing it in using one iOS update). Once they finally figure it out, they will release another update to iOS 8 that should allow everyone in every country to enter or view blood glucose levels into the Health app.

I can't help but cringe every time I hear the phrase "iOS 8 Update" nowadays. As we learned the hard way, updates to iOS 8 have proven to have a nasty tendency to fix some things, while simultaneously breaking others.

Apologies on the thread title typo, I'm on it :)