Hearing an Echo when calling on 3G network

VIPERxGTx2000

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Does anybody else have this problem?

Sometimes all I hear is an echo of what I am saying when I make a call, I don't hear any ringing, just myself and whatever is around me because it sounds like the microphone is amplified and I can hear every little noise around me.

My brother has the iPhone 3G and has the same problem sometimes, he usually just hangs up and tries making a call again. My phone on the other hand doesn't stop doing it for a while, I even tried turning the phone off and back on but the problem still exists. Maybe after 30 mins or so will it work again but I never know when the problem will return. It has only happened when i'm connected to the 3G network.

AppleHead

Aug 3, 2008
Hey I would try just reseting the Network Settings on your phone
This will reset your APN and Wi-Fi settings and might do the trick.
Settings->General->Reset Network Settings

Or if you want you can just disable 3G for now until it gets better
Settings->General->Network->Enable 3G 0ff

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
Me Too. Only the last three days since I got the 3G. 13 Months with my version 1 iPhone not one single echo.

Anyone else starting to see a patern?
1- If you hear an echo shut off 3G
2- Poor batery life shut off 3G
3- Droped call- shut off 3G
4- Some apps don't work- shut off 3G

Looks like 3G is a problem (YOU THINK)

Paul830

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Cleveland, OH
So once again... Why do we pay for 3G when most of the time we can't use it. Or it drains our battery. Call quality doesn't seem to be better and using it for surfing the internet drains the battery... IMO, Apple and AT&T have not fully delivered service as advertised.

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
Well, I don't use 3G because I'm a teacher on summer break, using my phone primarily in my house or my yard where I have access to wi-fi. On top of that, there is no 3G coverage in my town and when I stray beyond my town I tend to forget that checking for it is even a choice. I presume I'll get used to it when I go back to school as I'll have 3G there.

I think we can decide to pick at every perceived flaw, wish for every missing thing, or we can enjoy the phone for what it adds to our lives. Depends on whether you want your cup to be half empty or half full.

SPB3690

Jul 18, 2008
I have been having the same problem with my phone, so I asked my AT&T rep (who happens to be my girlfriend) about it. She called tech support and they told her that it is a problem with the network that is supposed to be fixed tonight. I realize that this is my first post, so I have little or no credibility, but I am just repeating what I was told.

Paul830

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Cleveland, OH
IMO, call quality and the ability to make and receive calls is not picking at every "perceived" flaw. I'm talking about basic phone services that are lacking in most every aspect. Overall, Apple has hands down the best user interface on the market. The phone is truly a "work of art". I guess that it depends on what is important to each user... I personally need a reliable phone and Apple and AT&T are not delivering that to many users. After all it is a phone and if everyone is "happy" that they have a phone that might work half the time... then I guess their glass is half full...

SPB3690

Jul 18, 2008
Paul, I am going to have to agree with you. I would hardly refer to this problem as a perceived flaw. It is a pretty major flaw when you have a phone that can't make calls. And while I am confident that the problem will be corrected, I still find it to be frustrating. Especially because when you call out and all you hear is feedback from your own mic, the phone that you called still rings (though neither person can hear each other). After several failed attempts at calling someone, both parties become frusterated....

Paul830

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Cleveland, OH
Thank you SPB3690, Everyone seems to miss this point. I love the iPhone as much as the next person... However, everyone seems to be so "in love" with the iPhone that they are overlooking one of its major functions, it should be "rock" solid as a phone. Cell phone technology is not new... It's not perfect but it should not be as poor as what many people are experiencing with Apple and AT&T.

VIPERxGTx2000

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
I hope its just a problem with the network. I was thinking that it was the network because it happens only when I'm on the 3G network which is odd.

AppleHead

Aug 3, 2008
But hey I figure if you think about it. Apple is on its second year of making cell phones and everyone else has been make phone for years.

I am not looking over the flaws, I agree that not having MMS is stupid, Voice dialing,(Feel bad for California), Can not take video, no file transfer, etc. But other then that I think the iPhone is going to get better and better as time goes on.

Apple is just being careful like always, they start off slow, but they eventually get a product that is flawless.

SPB3690

Jul 18, 2008
I am not complaining about the lack of certain features that some people feel the iPhone should have. We all knew exactly what the phone could and couldn't do when we bought them, so IMO, if someone is upset that their new iPhone cant record video or send MMS, they shouldn't have bought the phone. What is bothering me is the difficulties with placing a phone call, the primary function that makes it an iPhone and not an iPod. I do understand that it is not a perfect world, and things do go wrong, I just want my phone to work. I am confident that AT&T and Apple will do whatever it takes to resolve this problem, as they said they would.

VIPERxGTx2000

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Is anybody still having this problem? I haven't been to a 3G area to find out if it's still buggy.

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
Well, I don't use 3G because I'm a teacher on summer break, using my phone primarily in my house or my yard where I have access to wi-fi. On top of that, there is no 3G coverage in my town and when I stray beyond my town I tend to forget that checking for it is even a choice. I presume I'll get used to it when I go back to school as I'll have 3G there.

I think we can decide to pick at every perceived flaw, wish for every missing thing, or we can enjoy the phone for what it adds to our lives. Depends on whether you want your cup to be half empty or half full.
Amen to that! Excellent post. I feel the same way.

laststanding

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008

Beautifully Said! Not just in regards to iPhone, but everything in our lives.

VIPERxGTx2000

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Well I went to the same area's my phone was echoing at yesterday and I was able to make perfect calls everytime. Last night I restored my phone and then synced it instead of restoring from a backup. I'm not sure if that's what fixed the issue or if maybe it was some type of network problem that was fixed.

For those of you that would view a non-calling iPhone as a cup that's half full, god bless you... I have a car that doesn't have axels or wheels so it doesn't drive, but hey the cup is half full because it has a working A/C, radio and windshield wipers. I'll sell it to you for MSRP, how would you like that?

The cup half empty or half full is a good analogy for no MMS or video recording and a lot of things in life but when we're talking about a phone that doesn't make calls... It just doesn't cut it..

Paul830

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Cleveland, OH
Well put VIPERxGT2000... GREAT POST...

Again, some people continue to miss the point. I don't think that anyone here is "picking" apart the iPhone... Why would we support Apple and their products if we didn't believe in them. However, basic reliable phone service is not asking too much. I work on call for a hospital ER. They must be able to reach me and I must be able to respond quickly. Last weekend I was called, my phone didn't even ring it went right to voicemail. If I hadn't picked up my phone I wouldn't have even known that they had called me. This has happened several times. To me that's not "picking at every perceived flaw". That's asking for what you pay for. Comparing "critiquing" a cell phone to our contentment with everything else in our everyday life is hardly a fare comparison... after all it's a phone, a pretty good phone but not our lives, at least not mine. Peace.

SPB3690

Jul 18, 2008
I went the entire day with no problems whatsoever placing or receiving phone calls. I also noticed that my 3G signal seemed to be strongest it has been since I got the phone. Whatever repairs AT&T made to the network last night have had a drastic impact......... At least in my area, I hope everyone else that was having problems with the "echo" has been as lucky as I appear to be (knock on wood).