heavy duty iPhone cases & compatible chargers etc. (SE,5,5s)

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by iUser123, Dec 29, 2016.

1. iUser123

iUser123 New Member

Hi there!

I am a very clutzy person and have a habit of dropping things...including my phone.
    My last one (a Sony Xperia) survived me for 4 years, now I'm switching back to Apple.
    Therefore, I want to get a "heavy duty" rugged iPhone case, shock-resistant etc. for my new iPhone SE. I've been told that 5 and 5s cases would fit the SE as well.

1) What case(s) would you recommend?
    I was looking at Griffin, Lifeproof and Otterbox. I read reviews about the latter two, in which users complained that the cases rubbed off the coating around the Touch button or that the cases' quality wasn't as good as it used to be a few years ago, etc. I'm feel more clueless after my research now than before, because everything sounds so contradictory.

2) What accessories (for example car chargers, headphones, powerbanks) work with your case?
    I've read some cases don't work with chargers and headphones because the cables don't fit / the cases are too bulky in all the wrong places.

I own Beats headphones that are a bit older, but still work perfectly, and I'd like to continue using them with the heavy duty case.

I'd basically love to get a recommendation for a whole set of accessories that are compatible with each other: Protective iPhone SE case, car charger & powerbank!

2. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

For a case I've always used an Otterbox defender. I've accidentally dropped my phones from various heights up to 6-7 feet onto concrete floors and never a scratch or malfunction. As far as accessories, I travel unexpectedly sometimes so I keep a complete charging kit in my car, motorcycle and suitcase. Each kit contains a car charger, Apple cube charger, a charging cord, an additional charger and cord for my iPad and a triple tap adapter to plug into a wall socket and have three outlets available from one wall outlet. I also have an Anker 20100 Power Core that I keep charged for those occasions when power isn't available for charging.
    The only problem I've seen with the Otterboxes is that if you often use hand lotion, the case will soak it up over time and after 16-18 months the rubber part of the case will become softer and misshapen requiring replacement.
    One last suggestion is to get only genuine Apple accessories or Apple certified ones. There are may counterfeits out there and if the price seems too good to be true it's probably a counterfeit one. Good luck.

3. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

I also leave ac adapters and USB-C cables all over. In my truck glove box, in my backpack, and in drawers all around the house. I have a car usb charger plug in my truck as well that handles two USB cables simultaneously. That alone has saved more people's bacon than I can recount.