Held on as long as i could...

Devori

Jun 15, 2007
Long island NY
Been an iPhone owner since iday, and just recently sold it and changed carriers. after almost one full year of trying to use this device in a "moderate" coverage area, suffering from failed and dropped calls, horrible connections, i realized the truth. this just wasn't for me. of course the day after i sell the thing, i end up messing up on my directions coming from getting my marriage license, really could have used google maps right then! The coverage everywhere else was spot on, but as a chef, i spend countless hours @ the restaurant where i work, and that was the spot that i needed a phone to work. hopefully over the next year, the network can be built out and i will be back with another iPhone.

Devori

Jun 15, 2007
Long island NY
there really isn't anything that can "replace" an iPhone.. ended up with a sidekick:mad:

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
lol I almost put "replace" in quotes.

Hey man coulda done worse. I hate to play devil's advocate, but did you ever try taking the phone back for a replacement? I only say this because there is precedent for bad antennas on the iPhone for which they will give you a replacement.

Ex post facto, I know. But you're in Long Island. I guaranteeeee AT&T has good coverage there. I'm sure other long islanders will chime in, but I have to think it was a lemon phone.

Devori

Jun 15, 2007
Long island NY
tried a replacement, then sold my 4 gig and bought a 8 gig, same thing.. you are correct that long island has amazing coverage.. however, if you do a coverage search for jamesport ny.. you will see for yourself. the area is labled as moderate.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
That's a shame. I hope for your sake that AT&T rectifies that situation. I know you're bummed.

But seriously, Sidekicks are kinda cool. Don't stress it.

Devori

Jun 15, 2007
Long island NY
like i said.. i tried to make it work all year.. i am bummed. the sidekick does have a lot of really neat features, but instead of rejoicing that i can finally use my phone inside the kitchen, all im doing is comparing it to the iPhone.

VasiliosKN

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
NY - Miami
Whatever works for you! I personally would have done the same thing. If you get service in more places, its what really matters.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I find it hard to believe that AT&T would have poor coverage in Long Island. That's really rough. Hopefully they improve in your area soon.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Yeah exactly! You would think that an area as populated and developed would have no coverage issues at all. Now some random city in Montana on the other hand...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Populated, developed, and RIIIIIICH.

For the most part at least.

Devori

Jun 15, 2007
Long island NY
guys, don't forget, the north fork of long island has a lot of money.. and the nimby{ not in my backyard} organization runs strong.. a lot of eastern long island towns lack coverage due to lack of towers.. just last month we received a letter from a nearby development asking us if we can turn off our kitchen exhaust system because it made to much noise!And again, i will say that the rest of the island is very well covered.. except the place that i spend six 16 hours days at!

gotpancakes

Bronze
Nov 24, 2007
Hopefully u can have better luck with 3G

VasiliosKN

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
NY - Miami
OMG, didn't read the long island part. Im from there and usually get great service from Nassau to Suffolk (the farthest would be around dix hills)

Devori

Jun 15, 2007
Long island NY
OMG, didn't read the long island part. Im from there and usually get great service from Nassau to Suffolk (the farthest would be around dix hills)
Like i said.. everywhere else on the island it worked flawless.. except when i was at work and needed it the most.. i remember for a few months after iday, i actually opened another line with a nokia phone and forwarded all my iPhone calls! that didn't work too well either.

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
that's a real bummer man. On the up and up tho the new iPhone will be ariving soon hopefully with 3g. Good luck with the sidekick.

Devori

Jun 15, 2007
Long island NY
that's a real bummer man. On the up and up tho the new iPhone will be ariving soon hopefully with 3g. Good luck with the sidekick.
Thanks man.. its far from an iPhone.. but for now it will have to do..:(