Hello all, please don't hurt me

meltd0wn

Bronze
Feb 23, 2008
Hi guys let me start off by saying hello and well done on the website.

Ok im all very new to the iPhone i hadnt even seen one till a few weeks ago and i must what an impressive device.

BUT
i am new to the iPhone i know little about it and i am a little lost. i bought 2 phones one for me and one for my wife and we love them.

i see a heap of things on this site and modmyiPhone but im lost to tell you the truth.

I would like to start at the beginning and go from there but it is all a little daunting.

I worked on the psp for a little while but i got a heap of help from my bro.

What im asking is, where can i find some info on some of the stuff you guys do IE summerboard ibricker and other apps.

Any help would be appreciated and i am new please don't hurt me too much.

Many thanks
Meltd0wn

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
I'd do a keyword search for Jailbreak (Assuming you want to keep AT&T and your wireless provider) and then read the most recent threads that describe jailbreak methods. When i say read the most recent, i'd read a sizeable amount of threads. That was the only way i somewhat understood what was going on, even if it was someone elses question thread, i still learned a little.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Welcome to the site! Other than OJ (two posts above me) you won't have to worry about getting hurt with us.

First try a search with the obvious keywords (Jailbreak, SummerBoard, AppTapp, etc.) and see if you can find anything. While you may, our search feature here isn't the greatest. I'll be happy to explain it to you if you aren't able to find anything. Just send me a Private Message telling me what kind of computer you're using (PC or Mac) and what firmware your iPhone is firmware is running. (This can be determined by going into Settings >General > About, then looking beside 'Version'. It will be something like 1.1.1, 1.1.2, 1.1.3, or 1.1.4.

Enjoy the site!

- John

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
welcome to the site. I see you are extremely new to the iPhone if you plan on modding your iPhone I would do lots of research to make sure you don't have any problems. Enjoy!

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Yeah, take everything OJ says with a grain of salt. Everybody else is cool, you can take them at their word. With that said, give me $4,000 :)

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
welcome! hope you enjoy EIC. it definatly takes some reading to get a handle on the iPhone but im shurr you will find all the answers you need here.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
You have been forewarned........But it looks as if you won't have to fear my wrath. It seems like you know how to communicate and have a brain. You have no worries, my friend.

unless you get knocked on the head and start asking stupid questions...

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
OJ's our resident Archie Bunker. Crusty on the outside, but good as gold. I love me some OJ (but I still don't wanna piss him off...) :p

jjsquizz

Bronze
Nov 10, 2007
Los Angeles
Welcome. I hope you find everything you're looking for. You now own a well oiled machine. lol Take care of it and it will take care of you. These guys are great at EIC. Look through the posts to find what you need. If you don't find it, don't hesitate to ask . Enough said, JUST HAVE FUN!:laugh2::laugh2:

Nov 26, 2007
Welcome also, I tend to lurk more than anything, and Thanks to all these guys I have learned SOOOO much, my iPhone would be plain boring without ya'll!
You will love it here, and if its possible you will love your iPhone even more because you joined!

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
A couple real quick tips that had me confused back at the beginning:

1) To jailbreak means to modify the software of the iPhone so that you can add programs to it.

2) To unlock means to modify the iPhone so that it may be used with other carriers.

You don't have to do both of these. In other words, you can jailbreak without unlocking. To be honest I'm not sure if you can unlock without jailbreaking. I'm on AT&T so don't worry about that myself.

If you just bought the phones then I'm assuming they are software version 1.1.3 so if you follow this link:

and follow the instructions then when you are done you will have a jailbroken iPhone with Installer (AppTap) installed and be ready to install 3rd party software. At that point don't just go crazy and start installing stuff just to install. Think about what you really want the iPhone to do for you and start there. Just want to change the look of it? Then Summerboard and some themes along with the Bigboss hack so Summerboard themes work with 1.1.3 is what you're looking for. Take your time and research each program on this site before you install so you don't mess up your phone with programs with known issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
A couple real quick tips that had me confused back at the beginning:

1) To jailbreak means to modify the software of the iPhone so that you can add programs to it.

2) To unlock means to modify the iPhone so that it may be used with other carriers.

You don't have to do both of these. In other words, you can jailbreak without unlocking. To be honest I'm not sure if you can unlock without jailbreaking. I'm on AT&T so don't worry about that myself.

If you just bought the phones then I'm assuming they are software version 1.1.3 so if you follow this link

and follow the instructions then when you are done you will have a jailbroken iPhone with Installer (AppTap) installed and be ready to install 3rd party software. At that point don't just go crazy and start installing stuff just to install. Think about what you really want the iPhone to do for you and start there. Just want to change the look of it? Then Summerboard and some themes along with the Bigboss hack so Summerboard themes work with 1.1.3 is what you're looking for. Take your time and research each program on this site before you install so you don't mess up your phone with programs with known issues.
Don't jailbreak your iPhone yet because we should see legit third party applications on March 6th.

Last edited by a moderator: