Hello! Several questions before I finally purchase THE iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Mikozee

Bronze
Dec 12, 2007
(Prepare your eyes and ready your fingers to type answers that you have probably answered hundreds of times already....)

Hello! After months of painstaking overwork, I finally managed to save enough money for a iPhone (I'm 15)! But, I had questions that no one I personally knew could answer and Cingular (Yes I still call them Cingular) could definitely not (or wouldn't) answer.

Yes there's Google (and of course, the forum search button), but with the amount of time I put into work and school, there simply wasn't enough time to Google for answers. Even now, typing this thread is considered "luxury" time for me.

So on with the questions! (You do not need to post specific instructions. If there are sites containing them, you can simply post it)

1. Is it mandatory to renew or start a new contract with Cingular in order to buy an iPhone? If so, is there anyway I can avoid this, other then through online order?

2. I heard from a friend (Apple freak...) that the iPhone warranty does not replace the phone, but replaces parts. And that you must pay for shipping yourself. Is this true? If not, is it anywhere close? (Get as detailed as you wish)

3. Would either jailbreaking or unlocking the phone void the warranty?

4. Is it possible to downgrade the firmware? Although I have a contract with Cingular right now, I'm planning on changing to either Verizon or T-Mobile in the future. And my basic knowledge of the phone tells me that the current firmware does not (or protects) allow you to unlock?

5. How high is the percentage of "bricking" your phone while either unlocking or jailbreaking?

6. If you unlocked or jailbreaked your phone, could you return it to factory settings by restoring it through iTunes? I heard that you can't upgrade iPhone's while in it's "unlocked state", otherwise it will brick it.

7. Is there anyway Cingular (or anyone with access to my online account) can view my internet history? In other words, can someone look at what sites I've been visiting without physical access to the phone.

8. Are bluetooth keyboards compatible? Now, I'm not an expert in bluetooth, so I'm not exactly sure what a bluetooth keyboard does, but I assume it can act as a keyboard for your phone if your phone has bluetooth compatibility. Because I've tried texting with a demo phone at Cingular, and the results were terrible!

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
wow...

With the amount of time you wasted of "luxury" time as you call it you could have already googled or searched all your answers.. Have a good day

Mikozee

Bronze
Dec 12, 2007
wow...

With the amount of time you wasted of "luxury" time as you call it you could have already googled or searched all your answers.. Have a good day
No need to be so rude... :(

Some people type faster then others. I just happen to be one of those.

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
(Prepare your eyes and ready your fingers to type answers that you have probably answered hundreds of times already....)

Hello! After months of painstaking overwork, I finally managed to save enough money for a iPhone (I'm 15)! But, I had questions that no one I personally knew could answer and Cingular (Yes I still call them Cingular) could definitely not (or wouldn't) answer.

Yes there's Google (and of course, the forum search button), but with the amount of time I put into work and school, there simply wasn't enough time to Google for answers. Even now, typing this thread is considered "luxury" time for me.

So on with the questions! (You do not need to post specific instructions. If there are sites containing them, you can simply post it)

1. Is it mandatory to renew or start a new contract with Cingular in order to buy an iPhone? If so, is there anyway I can avoid this, other then through online order?

by phone at Apple and jailbreak it put your sim card in it

2. I heard from a friend (Apple freak...) that the iPhone warranty does not replace the phone, but replaces parts. And that you must pay for shipping yourself. Is this true? If not, is it anywhere close? (Get as detailed as you wish)

go to a store they will hook you up at Apple store if your within warranty like 7 outa 10 times id say even more probably

yes but you can restore the iPhone back to its factory settings if you had to nobody would know

4. Is it possible to downgrade the firmware? Although I have a contract with Cingular right now, I'm planning on changing to either Verizon or T-Mobile in the future. And my basic knowledge of the phone tells me that the current firmware does not (or protects) allow you to unlock?

you can use it with att thats all right now if you get a 1.1.2

and never on verizon unless they gsm

5. How high is the percentage of "bricking" your phone while either unlocking or jailbreaking?

depends on if you can follow directions ive done this several time never had a problem

6. If you unlocked or jailbreaked your phone, could you return it to factory settings by restoring it through iTunes? I heard that you can't upgrade iPhone's while in it's "unlocked state", otherwise it will brick it.

you can just read the directions and you will be all good if you unlock it may re lock the iPhone

7. Is there anyway Cingular (or anyone with access to my online account) can view my internet history? In other words, can someone look at what sites I've been visiting without physical access to the phone.

Nobody can

8. Are bluetooth keyboards compatible? Now, I'm not an expert in bluetooth, so I'm not exactly sure what a bluetooth keyboard does, but I assume it can act as a keyboard for your phone if your phone has bluetooth compatibility. Because I've tried texting with a demo phone at Cingular, and the results were terrible!

No they arent compatible

i felt sorry for you and heres your answers disregard my first post i made at you

Mikozee

Bronze
Dec 12, 2007
Wow thank you for the quick reply! :cool:

Also, on your post, you said "No they arent available or compatible". Was that the answer to the last question?

if so...

availability isn't a problem because there are lots of bluetooth keyboards (unless you were talking about a keyboard made specifically for the iPhone)

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
sorry i meant they arnt compatible... You cant even do a bluetooth transfer with the iPhone or even a2dp its stupid but thats how it is

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL

congrats on your purchase...i hope you got all your questions answered in a polite, timely fashion...most of the people are pretty knowledgeable when it comes to the iPhone...i've gotten several issues resolved by the genius' on this site...enjoy!:laugh2:

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA

1. No. But it is mandatory to activate the phone with AT&T and iTunes to maximize its fullest potential (visual voicemail and regular updates)

2. Not sure. I've never had to use an Apple warranty yet. This is only my fourth Apple device.

3. ABSOLUTELY! But you can do some pretty cool things with a jailbroken phone.

4. You'll never be able to run the iPhone on Verizon. They use a completely different technology than AT&T. T-Mobile is definitely an option though.

5. Not very high unless you're one of the hundreds of people that bricked their phones after update 1.1.1 came out.

6. Not sure. New iPhones have bootloaders that prevent certain mods being performed. IF you phone is modified, you definitely want to avoid iTunes updates.

7. Absolutely. With the right technology, every site you've ever visited can be tracked.

8. No.