Help! A case that doesn't cover the side buttons?

delenn99

Dec 25, 2008
I am so disappointed.. I got my 3G for Christmas and have been excitedly searching for cases and reading all kinds of reviews. I even went to the Apple store in Tampa to look at what they had. I settled on the Switcheasy Rebel Capsule http://www.switcheasy.com/products/Rebel/Rebel.php?color=arctic , and shelled out the $25. The first problem I had was trying to put the protector screen on the phone - I screwed up the first one, but got the second on. Then I slipped the silicone case on and it instantly made the protector screen bubble up at the edges. So I removed the screen and I snapped the "exoskeleton" on, and thought I'd just use it like that. Well, I soon discovered that the silicone case covers almost all the buttons - the sleep/wake on the top, and the volume buttons on the side. I can't stand how that feels. Now that I look at the website again I see that those buttons are covered - but I didn't realize that I wouldn't like how it felt.

So I'm back to square one and out $25. What cases would you guys recommend that do NOT cover any of the side buttons or the home button and also do NOT cover the front of the phone? I'm not crazy about hard cases, but I do like the way the "Smartphone Experts Full HD Skin Case" looks http://store.phonedifferent.com/smartphone-experts-full-hd-skin-case/4A54A3940.htm However, I've searched and searched online and can't find any other pics except the same ones which do not show the sides of the phone and whether the volume buttons are covered. Although it does say that the case has cutouts for all of the 3G features. *sighs*

Any ideas? I'd be forever grateful!

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
incase slider. the best case imo.

delenn99

Dec 25, 2008
YES I know I posted first in the "iPhone Cases" forum BEFORE I saw there was a 3g cases one. I reposted there since my question was about a 3G, and I TRIED to delete the post in the wrong forum but could not figure out how to do it. I tried to contact the sys admin too. Geez, cut a newbie a break, will ya? :)

delenn99

Dec 25, 2008
incase slider. the best case imo.
Thanks Kenneth. I actually just purchased one, in the red metallic, so I am looking forward to trying that one out. I just hope that the protector can stay on with the case. :)

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
YES I know I posted first in the "iPhone Cases" forum BEFORE I saw there was a 3g cases one. I reposted there since my question was about a 3G, and I TRIED to delete the post in the wrong forum but could not figure out how to do it. I tried to contact the sys admin too. Geez, cut a newbie a break, will ya? :)
Lol, calm down, I was just letting you know. :)
At least you did the right thing by trying to delete it and contact a mod or admin.
How'd you even see that post so quickly? I deleted it... ;)

delenn99

Dec 25, 2008
Lol, calm down, I was just letting you know. :)
At least you did the right thing by trying to delete it and contact a mod or admin.
How'd you even see that post so quickly? I deleted it... ;)

LOL! its ok. I get the instant email notifications. *grins* and I just felt bad because I know forum etiquette and that it was bad form to do that... I just couldn't figure out how to delete the bad boy!

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
Congrats on the incase. It's a great case and really comfortable.

Dec 21, 2008
NY
I had done some research before I bought my phone and decided on the incase slider as well. I actually purchased the slider before I got my phone.

It's not perfect, but I think it's pretty close. I do have a little bubble at the bottom of my screen protector because the slider does have some lay on the table protection but I don't think it's much of an issue.

delenn99

Dec 25, 2008
I do like the incase slider, the metallic red is beautiful! What I'm not too crazy about is that it is kind of slippery... I really was hoping it would be more tactile. I feel like I still have to be uber-careful with it. Also I was not able to get the case on with a protector on the screen, which bothers me. I really wanted a protective screen on the face of the phone. I guess I just got one of the really tight cases (I've seen some posts about that). In fact, the dock bottom part won't even slide off easily - instead, the top part of the case starts to slide off the top of the phone!

I guess you just keep trying until you find the one you like the best. I laid out $34 for it, though, so its annoying. :(

I had done some research before I bought my phone and decided on the incase slider as well. I actually purchased the slider before I got my phone.

It's not perfect, but I think it's pretty close. I do have a little bubble at the bottom of my screen protector because the slider does have some lay on the table protection but I don't think it's much of an issue.

delenn99

Dec 25, 2008
I do like the metallic red, its gorgeous, but I am really surprised at how slippery it is. I was hoping it would be more tactile. Also I cant get it on the phone with a protector on the screen without the screen bubbling around the edges - which drives me BATTY!

Congrats on the incase. It's a great case and really comfortable.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Seidio Innocase II. It's not slippery, and I have noticed no scratches on my phone. The side buttons are uncovered too.

http://www.seidioonline.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=2363

I have the ash grey and I love it.
I also got the Innocase II w/holster (black...I didn't know they had other colors, but would have gotten the black any way), great combo. After adding a invisible shield (front only) it's great. It did pop up the sides of my cheap "in-case" screen protectors. I took one of those and cut a little square to cover my Apple logo on the back and it's awesome.

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
Maybe instead of the case get the invisible shield get the back only and use another screen protector.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Maybe instead of the case get the invisible shield get the back only and use another screen protector.
Curious as to why, if your not going to do a case, would you recommend the invisible shield back with a different front screen protector. Why not get the full body invisible shield? Personally I love my invisible shield (front only) and innocase II combo.

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
Well I didn't like the front of it. So I bought a static cling Which actually feels like the glass itself.