HELP after jailbreak

Aug 4, 2011
Houston, Texas
Hi. My SON! did a jailbreak on my iPhone 3gs and installed Cydia. I was not happy. I went into Cydia and under Manage used the complete removal or whatever it was called. There was nothing else he put on it.
Now my battery seems to be draining a lot faster than it used to.
I deleted my iTunes folder on my PC, uninstalled iTunes, reinstalled it and loaded everything from scratch. The only thing I reused was the folder of apps and the .itdb files which I'm assuming are data base files.
I Googled removing Cydia and saw there is a right and wrong way, but different opinions, and that there are battery drain problems with it.
So I don't have to kill my son, is there anything else to do, any other complete restore or even something they could do at an Apple store? I'm not sure about telling them at an Apple store since it might void the warranty.
Thanks

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
If you've synced / backed up your data on the iPhone, just do a normal restore and that will wipe out the jailbreak and give you back a 'stock' device.

imotionb18

Bronze
Jun 15, 2010
Houston, Tx
Just backup your phone through iTunes and do a restore. That should take care of it.

Aug 4, 2011
Houston, Texas
Any reason why the phone might be draining really fast now since the cydia was removed? I have about everything turned off and no notifications on it. Could "something" be hidden that I don't see, left from Cydia after I restore?
At 7:50 my battery was 100% from an overnight charge
9:02 99%
10:56 91%
11:28 86%

Does that seem strange? That was all from just sitting in stand by, no usage

Aug 4, 2011
Houston, Texas
Yes. Did keeping the app files and the .itdb files cause a problem? Or do iPhone batteries just go bad? I work from home and very rarely use the phone. I let it drain and then recharge it so it's not a usage thing

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
The simple fix would have been to open iTunes, sync and backup then press the restore button. You didn't even need to open Cydia after you saw that he had jailbroken it. Removing all packages or Cydia itself won't unjailbreak it. Jailbreaking it won't damage the battery, but manually trying to remove certain things like that and jailbreaking in general can impact the battery life.

I recommend restoring to factory settings and then syncing your media back on.

Aug 4, 2011
Houston, Texas
I'm not a pro at this, but from the description I wrote above does it sound like I did everything I could to restore? Deleted every folder, uninstalled, reinstalled, and set up from scratch. I know it might be overkill, but did I do all I could at this point?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You don't need to delete folders or uninstall anything. You just press the restore button and don't select a backup when it asks if you want to use one.

I'd try this and see if the battery life improves. You can always apply your backup at a later time if you want.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Thread moved to the iPhone Jailbreak section.

David, connect your iPhone to your computer, launch iTunes and click restore. Once the restore process has completed set the phone up as new and re-sync all of your information back onto the device. Your warranty will be restored and no one will ever know that your device was ever jailbroken.

Restoring your device is pretty much the same as reformatting a computers hard drive, so restoring will clear anything to do with the jailbreak. Just make sure you set up as new.

Aug 4, 2011
Houston, Texas
OK Thanks. I already did all the deleting and reinstalling and then did the restore, but if that's all I needed to do then I'm all set. I did som "extra" steps I guess, but it's all back together now. I just wanted to make sure Cydia wasn't lurking hidden somewhere because of the way I did things. Thanks for your help everyone.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
If you restored in iTunes, Cydia is gone.