Help before purchasing iPhone 3G

dgreat5000

Oct 1, 2007
I am a employee of T-mobile and currently have the original iPhone, I want the iPhone 3g unlocked but I'm wondering if there are any features that will be missing if I get it unlocked. Also, with an unlocked iPhone 3g, can i download iTunes Apps? I have heard rumors that with the 3g, syncing the iPhone with iTunes will cause it to be bricked. Is this true? Please help, any answers are appreciated. Thanks

eplantz

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
why do you want a 3G iPhone? Even if you could unlock it (not possible via software yet), it will not work on T-Mobile's 3G network as the frequencies are different from AT&T.

dgreat5000

Oct 1, 2007
why do you want a 3G iPhone? Even if you could unlock it (not possible via software yet), it will not work on T-Mobile's 3G network as the frequencies are different from AT&T.

Oh ok I didn't realize that. So basically it will work just as good as the original iPhone? Would there be any advantages to getting the 3G?

eplantz

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
if you manage to unlock it and use it on T-Mobile, you would only be able to use data via EDGE. Quite a bit slower but workable.

The main advantage then of the 3G iPhone would be GPS.

Otherwise the V1 phone is the same.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
GPS won't work if he doesn't do a service plan with AT&T, am I right?

So I guess it's better to stick to the original iPhone for now, and when a software unlock comes out for the iPhone 3G, then you can buy it. Because I guess that way you'll experience full features of the new iPhone 3G on T-Mobile.

eplantz

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I believe GPS is not tied to carrier..... obviously, the main functions on the phone, for GPS, are things like Google Maps but as long as you have a T-Mobile data connection (EDGE), GPS should work.

But, I agree that there is no really good reason to buy a 3G if you are going to use T-Mobile.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
GPS would work without cell service of any sort, technically. It's just data received via satellite.

What could be impacted is the data that the GPS apps use. Google Maps, for example, uses the GPS for position data and 3G/Edge for map data. So your ability to use those apps is limited to your ability to get data.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
The thing is, I tried using it here but it didn't work. Although I tried on a lot of mobiles including Nokia N95 8GB, E71, HTC Tytn II, and other phones and it worked just fine.