HELP! Bricked? 1.13

Jan 21, 2008
Hi, I will be eternally grateful to anyone who can offer me any advice or help me out. Here is the situation - I decided last night that it would probably be ok to update my firmware from 1.02 to 1.13 - big mistake. My phone is now bricked and I can't reverse or downgrade it. I've tried doing this via ibrickr. (btw, I know I should have researched all this a little more thoroughly) but I seem to have made more of a mess.

When I first updated the phone I was only offered the option of emergency calls. Then it just displayed either a blue(?) or a green background with a picture of the cable and an iTunes logo. THEN - after trying to downgrade via ibrickr - the phone went nuts! It was just turning itself on and off repeatedly and scrolling through lines of code very quickly for the brief period it was on. There was literally nothing I could do with it - I couldn't even turn the power off! I had to put it in a box and forget about it!

Can anyone help? Is it completely knackered or is there anything I can do? Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks

phillyphill39

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
i had that problem i just had to keep trying to do the restore and then it finally worked. Press and hold the home button and the top button when its plugged up to your computer and see what happens..

Jan 21, 2008
i had that problem i just had to keep trying to do the restore and then it finally worked. Press and hold the home button and the top button when its plugged up to your computer and see what happens..
So you managed to downgrade from 1.13? Was your phone scrolling code like a maniac too?! I did try pressing the buttons but it just wouldn't stop. The computer wouldn't recognize it at all...

phillyphill39

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
this didn't happen in 1.1.3 it happened when i was downgrading from 1.1.2 to 1.1.1. but its that exact same problem you were talking about. With the blue screen and the iTunes connector icon in the back. And then it goes black and then it looks like the matrix is going on but just in white. It took about 5-10 min to get it back to normal.

phillyphill39

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
But if push come to shove and you cant get it working, is there an Apple store near by. Im sure they can exchange it out for another one.

Jan 21, 2008
this didn't happen in 1.1.3 it happened when i was downgrading from 1.1.2 to 1.1.1. but its that exact same problem you were talking about. With the blue screen and the iTunes connector icon in the back. And then it goes black and then it looks like the matrix is going on but just in white. It took about 5-10 min to get it back to normal.
Cool, thanks for info man but I believe that's one of the main changes in 1.13 - it can't be downgraded?! Can anyone confirm this? it sounds like you did have exactly the same problem but mine just really doesn't seem to be getting any better!

Jan 21, 2008
But if push come to shove and you cant get it working, is there an Apple store near by. Im sure they can exchange it out for another one.
I doubt it very much seeing as how I'm using (or was using) it on the Vodafone network!

phillyphill39

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
oh ok, well that changes everything didn't know it was unlocked. Well then im not sure what to say, just because 1.1.3 bricks unlocked iPhones, did you try the things i mentioned?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Cool, thanks for info man but I believe that's one of the main changes in 1.13 - it can't be downgraded?! Can anyone confirm this? it sounds like you did have exactly the same problem but mine just really doesn't seem to be getting any better!
Generally, when a new firmware version is released, there is NOT an option to downgrade. Each new firmware updates the baseband on the phone, making it incompatible with previous versions.
In the past, the change was either minor, or could be worked around, but since 1.1.3 is still fresh, this is not the case.
Word to the wise from this point forward: When a new update comes out, make sure that you WAIT before upgrading. If you are jailbroken or unlocked, chances are you are at the very least going to lose something, if not brick the whole phone.
That being said, iBrickr - to the best of my knowledge- has not come out with anything that is compatible with 1.1.3, so your attempt to use it to downgrade is not going to work as you discovered. The only thing that it can be used for is to restart the phone if you have the " Connect to iTunes" symbol with a red background (and I don't even know if the background is red anymore with 1.1.3. it's brand new.)

Jan 21, 2008
Generally, when a new firmware version is released, there is NOT an option to downgrade. Each new firmware updates the baseband on the phone, making it incompatible with previous versions.
In the past, the change was either minor, or could be worked around, but since 1.1.3 is still fresh, this is not the case.
Word to the wise from this point forward: When a new update comes out, make sure that you WAIT before upgrading. If you are jailbroken or unlocked, chances are you are at the very least going to lose something, if not brick the whole phone.
That being said, iBrickr - to the best of my knowledge- has not come out with anything that is compatible with 1.1.3, so your attempt to use it to downgrade is not going to work as you discovered. The only thing that it can be used for is to restart the phone if you have the " Connect to iTunes" symbol with a red background (and I don't even know if the background is red anymore with 1.1.3. it's brand new.)
So, are you saying that there is nothing I can do right now?!

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
as of now, yes.

I recommend you to connect the cable and the dock to your computer, and then just connect the iPhone and hold home and power, and hold them for like 45 seconds until it resets, and as soon as the Apple logo is shown, release the top button , and force it into dfu mode and after that if it is seen by iTunes, restore to 1.1.3, and we'll take it from there because I think that I saw that there is a way to downgrade its just very hard.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
The only thing I can suggest is to download and use revirginizer (make sure it can work for you. I don't know if it can or not, but if you are bricked at the moment, I cant see it hurting.)
If it works, then restore 1.1.3 again.
Just saw Themanofthedark's post. Follow his instructions first. If that doesn't work, then I suggest trying revirginizer.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
hawk, I heard of a way to downgrade a touch to 1.1.1, using iphuc and other things but I have heard that it is also possible to do it with an iPhone, as if you jailbreak, there are now options to downgrade your bb from 1.1.3 to 1.0.2's baseband, after which you restore to 1.1.1.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
No!

If you have an iPhone that was 1.1.1 or earlier when new you can most definitely downgrade from 1.1.3

Here's a tutorial:
http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25695

But before you get to that you need to escape from the mess you are in right now. No matter how bad it looks, it should be fixable.

The first step might be to just restore back to 1.1.3. Keep trying till you can get into DFU mode... you'll get there.

If you were unlocked under 1.0.2 you'll have to restore the baseband so that you can use the phone features under 1.1.2 or earlier (you will have to unlock again).

If you were only jailbroken and not unlocked you can either stay at 1.1.3 or move back to 1.1.2 or earlier and then jailbreak.

--
Mike

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Sorry, I have no idea. I'm actually a little in the dark about the pitfalls and rays of sunshine (jailbreaking) associated with 1.1.3
I read something similar this morning to what you just mentioned, but I think everything is still too early to tell anything just yet.

This guy updated his phone and it bricked, which indicated (although I don't see if he stated it or not) he was unlocked. He also made a leap from 1.0.2 to 1.1.3. That's a huge leap, unlocked or not. If he is unlocked, then he just might me screwed... But he should try restoring anyway

mj2320

Bronze
Jan 19, 2008
i heard that tut at modmyifone.com does not work