Help, broken iPhone

jains712

Dec 28, 2007
Hi everyone,

I bought my iPhone a few months ago, and unlocked it to download third party applications onto it.

I accidentally downloaded an update for the phone through iTunes, which then disabled my iPhone, displaying the message: "Incorrect SIM: Insert an unlocked and valid SIM to activate phone."

I have tried to "virginize" the phone back to factory-condition, but most of the methods involve going into the Installer on the Springboard- however, I can't access the springboard because of the error message above.

I have downgraded to 1.0.2 FW i THINK. I'm pretty sure I did that successfuly, but am not sure what I need to do next to get my phone working. I am an AT&T customer in the U.S. so the only reason I unlocked it was to download all the extra applications.

Someone please help me! I've been trying for the past week to find a way to fix it.

Khris

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Breathe deeply, and then search the forums. If you've really wasted a week on this, then you don't know how to read or follow instructions.

jains712

Dec 28, 2007
Breathe deeply, and then search the forums. If you've really wasted a week on this, then you don't know how to read or follow instructions.

i have read the instructions. ive downloaded so many files, gone through so many steps, and i still cant figure it out.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
If you are on 1.0.2, then you should be good to go with the next steps.
Locate and download the 1.1.1.ipsw file ( the name is longer, but says 1.1.1 in it)
restore your phone to that. (hold down the shift key and click restore- should prompt you to locate the restore file) If it works, and you get your profile restored back on the phone, then the only thing wrong with it will be that it's not activated through AT&T. No worries. Connect to a WiFI signal and go to www.jailbreakme.com and install the installer. Once you are finished, look for OkToPrep and install it.
Got that? great, now go ahead and let iTunes update your firmware to 1.1.2.
While that's going on, you need to look for the 1.1.2 jailbreak.zip file. There is a link to it on here somewhere.... Download it and unzip it. keep the folder with the unziped files open.
Hopefully your iPhone is finished updating to 1.1.2. Reboot the phone and close iTunes.
In the folder I had you leave open, locate the windows.bat file ( I am assuming you are on windows) and double-click it. This will open a window telling you that you are about to jailbreak the iPhone. there is a checkbox t check if you want to install SSH. If you don't know what it is or don't want to use it, leave it unchecked. Start the jailbreak and a DOS window will open and the bat file will start running. at this point, just follow the reboot prompts when they appear and in the next 10-15 minutes, you'll be on 1.1.2 and jailbroken (hacked).
Now, if you are unlocked for another carrier, then you might want to locate the revirginizer program and run that first to restore to iPhone to a out of box 1.0.2 firmware, and then you can go from there.

jains712

Dec 28, 2007
If you are on 1.0.2, then you should be good to go with the next steps.
Locate and download the 1.1.1.ipsw file ( the name is longer, but says 1.1.1 in it)
restore your phone to that. (hold down the shift key and click restore- should prompt you to locate the restore file) If it works, and you get your profile restored back on the phone, then the only thing wrong with it will be that it's not activated through AT&T. No worries. Connect to a WiFI signal and go to www.jailbreakme.com and install the installer. Once you are finished, look for OkToPrep and install it.
Got that? great, now go ahead and let iTunes update your firmware to 1.1.2.
While that's going on, you need to look for the 1.1.2 jailbreak.zip file. There is a link to it on here somewhere.... Download it and unzip it. keep the folder with the unziped files open.
Hopefully your iPhone is finished updating to 1.1.2. Reboot the phone and close iTunes.
In the folder I had you leave open, locate the windows.bat file ( I am assuming you are on windows) and double-click it. This will open a window telling you that you are about to jailbreak the iPhone. there is a checkbox t check if you want to install SSH. If you don't know what it is or don't want to use it, leave it unchecked. Start the jailbreak and a DOS window will open and the bat file will start running. at this point, just follow the reboot prompts when they appear and in the next 10-15 minutes, you'll be on 1.1.2 and jailbroken (hacked).
Now, if you are unlocked for another carrier, then you might want to locate the revirginizer program and run that first to restore to iPhone to a out of box 1.0.2 firmware, and then you can go from there.

Thanks for the reply--but when I go choose the 1.1.1 Firmware restore file it says "Unknown Error 1015" and shows the USB cable and iTunes icon on my screen...what did i do wrong?

Chris.Carter770

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
Thanks for the reply--but when I go choose the 1.1.1 Firmware restore file it says "Unknown Error 1015" and shows the USB cable and iTunes icon on my screen...what did i do wrong?
It's suppose to give that error. that's a good thing.
Can someone more iPhone savvy instruct him. When I jailbroke my iPhone yesterday, it gave that error, but it's suppose to.

jains712

Dec 28, 2007
It's suppose to give that error. that's a good thing.
Can someone more iPhone savvy instruct him. When I jailbroke my iPhone yesterday, it gave that error, but it's suppose to.

well now i cant get to the activation screen with the incorrect sim error message. the only screen i can get to is the plug with the iTunes icon..?