Help...Cannot uninstall app!

reebs

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
I installed the new version of PYSL (protect your secret life) 0.32 and nothing showed up on the homescreen. When I tried to uninstall in uninstall tab (yes for some reason it's there) it says "main script execution failed." Can anyone help me out? I tried to SSH on phone and PYSL in NOT there, also tried restarting several times so don't know what's going on...:mad:

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
if you really wana get rid of it that bad you can put the phone into dfu mode and restart the whole process. But that really not worth it to me. Either way good.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I installed the new version of PYSL (protect your secret life) 0.32 and nothing showed up on the homescreen. When I tried to uninstall in uninstall tab (yes for some reason it's there) it says "main script execution failed." Can anyone help me out? I tried to SSH on phone and PYSL in NOT there, also tried restarting several times so don't know what's going on...:mad:
Its stuck in your LocalPackages.plist file as an installed entry. This entry has the script for uinstallation, as well as where it actually istalled to. When it runs the uninstall routine, its erroring out because its not finding the data its supposed to remove.

This is remedied by using Installer's local commands like "RemovePath" rather than using a terminal command like "rm /Applications/yourapp.app". When a terminal command fails because it can't find the file its looking for, it errors out Installer and you receive a "Mains Script Execution Failed" warning. Using a "RemovePath" in this case ignores the error and moves on to the next phase of the uninstall routine until it completes the script and finally removes it's entry from your Uninstall pane.

If you'd like to browse your LocalPackages.plist file and edit out the entry yourself, look in /var/mobile/Library/Installer/LocalPackages.plist.

You need some basic knowledge of opening and closing tags, because basically you're looking for the bundle identifier, then removing everything related to it including the <dict> tags that wrap around the entry.

<dict>
<bundle identifier>
install scripts
</dict>

reebs

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
Its stuck in your LocalPackages.plist file as an installed entry. This entry has the script for uinstallation, as well as where it actually istalled to. When it runs the uninstall routine, its erroring out because its not finding the data its supposed to remove.

This is remedied by using Installer's local commands like "RemovePath" rather than using a terminal command like "rm /Applications/yourapp.app". When a terminal command fails because it can't find the file its looking for, it errors out Installer and you receive a "Mains Script Execution Failed" warning. Using a "RemovePath" in this case ignores the error and moves on to the next phase of the uninstall routine until it completes the script and finally removes it's entry from your Uninstall pane.

If you'd like to browse your LocalPackages.plist file and edit out the entry yourself, look in /var/mobile/Library/Installer/LocalPackages.plist.

You need some basic knowledge of opening and closing tags, because basically you're looking for the bundle identifier, then removing everything related to it including the <dict> tags that wrap around the entry.

<dict>
<bundle identifier>
install scripts
</dict>

wow seems complicated. do i need terminal for this? when I SSH, I see LocalPackages.plist but can't open it