Help choosing a Pico Projector for iPad or other iOS Devices

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Peetreedish, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Peetreedish

Peetreedish New Member

So I recently got the latest ipad as a present and have been spending way too much time watching shows and movies on it. This made a lightbulb go off in my head. *DING* why not get a pico projector to get an image a billion times bigger.
    So i started to do some research and came across AAXA Technologies. Since I never heard of the brand before I was a little unsure but I look around and saw that they are everywhere. From targets, walmarts, and radioshack, to brookstone and b&h photo. They just came out with a new a new led pico projector the P4 which they claim is the world's brightest battery powered projector. From the specs it looks pretty good and i think it will be a good accessory to go along with my ipad.

2. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

The same lightbulb went off for me when i had the iPhone 3G 2 years back. I bought the Aaxa Pico Projector (original). It was $230 when I bought it and while cool, i never found it to be practical. It was too small to stay still while a cord was attached to it going to the iPad. The lumens (12) though much less than the pico p4 (80 lumens) were not bright enough even in pitch darkness to get a decent image. I was never able to resell the device due to the moral issue of not wanting someone to be stuck with something useless as I was. I would highly recommend against this purchase.

3. Peetreedish

Peetreedish New Member

Hey citsur thx for the response. I did a quick AAXA P1 google search and there seems to be some good images of it. If this thing is really only 12 lumens and the new one is 80 lumens.. doing a little math, 12/80 you get 15%
    If the p1 is only 15% of the p4 i think im going to be blown away. 2 years is a lot of time in terms of consumer electronics. My computer i bought 2 years ago seems slow now compared to whats out with all the quad cores.. but it is what it is.

here are the random pictures i found on google images
    [​IMG][​IMG]

#3 Peetreedish, Oct 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2014
  4. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

All but the last image seem to be about what i experience. You also have to think how you are going to listen to it? If its through headphones, no problem, but through real speaker system, almost impossible. I found it to be extremely cool to hold a projector in my hand, just never could really use it well.

#4 Michael Baturin, Oct 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2014
  5. Peetreedish

Peetreedish New Member

I'm not expecting a 5.1 theater quality sound or anything. I do have some battery powered speakers if there isn't ac adapter. On the website it says it has a 3.5mm headphone jack which i should be able to plug in my computer speakers to. I guess ill have to see how loud the onboard speaker is.

I'm actually pretty set on buying this thing i just wanted to get some input and your input was greatly appreciated. Gave me a few things to think about as well as research like those p1 pictures.

6. Peetreedish

Peetreedish New Member

some reviews have started popping up. I'll also be getting mine in a few days I'll go ahead and do my own review when that time comes. in the meantime you can see it. there are other places but this is just one that i found recently.
    http://www.pocket-projector.net/?p=202

7. AlexW

AlexW New Member

Thanks for the tip on the projector. I've been considering getting one for my setup. I've been using Hulu Plus a lot lately with iMainGo XP speakers (http://amzn.to/ritvtj) and it's pretty cool. With the speaker set up, it's almost like a mini-home theater, but I'm thinking it would be cool to watch on a bigger screen as well. I'm not sure what you're using for your audio, but the iMainGo XP is a solid product. It's kind of an all-in-one accessory and is great on the go and at home. I work with a company that works them and their products are pretty impressive.

8. Peetreedish

Peetreedish New Member

that is a pretty cool speaker product. I think it may go nicely with my P4. I currently use some small usb speakers. or just the onboard speakers. I jsut got it so i haven't had that much time to look for speakers for them but i still keep that imaingo in mind if i do decide i need external speakers. Ill try to do a nice little review for you guys when i have the chance. Try to get some close up pictures!

9. AlexW

AlexW New Member

Sounds great! I look forward to seeing your setup.

Have a great weekend!

10. LesleyIlic

LesleyIlic New Member

I"m looking mini portable projector for a small budget projector mostly for playing games, so it will be connected directly to micro projector my PC or Xbox 360. Tried searching for threads here and elsewhere, but it seems not much existing info available, so I"m posting this thread.

Specs in order of importance
    Bulb: Must be LED
    Reliability: Must not mobile projector overheat, must not be very noisy, must not spoil after a few uses..