Help deciphering my AT&T Bill and how to proceed

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by RxMan, Sep 11, 2014.

1. RxMan

RxMan New Member

I have AT&T with 4 iphones on the account.
    The main part of the account is:
    'FamilyTalk Nation 700 with Rollover' for $60
    'Family Messaging Unlimited with Mobile to Any Mobile Calling' for $30
    The main phone has the $60 FamilyTalk listed, each of the other phones pay $9.99 a month.
    2 of the phones have Unlimited data for $30 a month, the other 2 phones have 3gb data a month also for $30.
    Surcharges and Fees and Taxes = ~$30

So I'm seeing a bill in the $275 range.

I am thinking about changing to a shared data plan and giving up the 2 unlimited data plans. As a family we have had as little as 7gb a month up to 13.5gb a month over the last 6 months.

My question as it relates to the iPhone is this. If I change to a shared plan, it shows $15 per phone. If I choose to use an eligibility upgrade I'm assuming that line goes to $40? If I sign up with Next then it goes up to whatever the Next fee for the phone is?

I also have a iPad on a small data plan but even that is $10/month. I'm assuming I could drop this and use my phone as a personal hotspot with the new plan? I am on wifi 95% of the time anyways.

I was always told to never, ever give up my unlimited data plan, but I'm not sure that's the wisest choice considering my data usage and the amount I'm paying.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

2. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

You can save money going to Mobile Share Value Plan 10gb for only $160/month. This also gives you unlimited talk and text. If you upgrade a line using a subsidized 2 year agreement, that line will go back up to $40 every month. If you pay full price for the new device or upgrade using AT&T NEXT, you can keep that line at $15/month.

3. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

sounds like he needs more than 10GB/month since his peak was ~13GB. But yeah, you will still be saving a ton.

4. RxMan

RxMan New Member

So let me ask ya this. I have 2 iPhone 5S that are currently 'on contract' i.e. not eligible for upgrade until 9/20/15. It looks like it will allow me to switch the plan now and have those go to $15. Does that sound right?
    What if I buy a phone tonight (iPhone 6) using a line that is eligible for 2 year subsidized contract price. Could I then simply switch plans in a week or so and get this $15? Does that make sense?

5. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

yep, that's what I did with my line just yesterday.

No, because you're signing a 2-year contract. To get out of the contract, you would need to pay the early termination fee.

6. RxMan

RxMan New Member

I also signed a 2 year contract on the iPhone 5S's right?

7. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

AT&T is forgiving current customers on current 2 year agreements to switch to the new Mobile Share Value Plan without any penalties because this new plan started after a 2 year agreement with the iPhone 5s last year. You may have to do this before entering into another 2 year agreement.

#7 ZR_Yancy, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  8. RxMan

RxMan New Member

Thanks! I really appreciate your help. I think I will make the change.
    Now I have to decide on Next or subsidized. Ugh

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I have to make the same decision before tonight as well. One thing I know for sure is I'm ditching unlimited messaging and my expensive data plan and going to the mobile share plan.