Help! Dropped my iPhone in the toilet

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by justinr66, Jul 12, 2007.

1. justinr66

justinr66 New Member

I dropped my iPhone in the toillet last night and now it wont turn on or anything. I really have no idea what to do. Any suggestions would be very helpful!

2. robhon

robhon New Member
    Silver

Don't try to turn it on. Let it just dry out for a couple days.

Water and electronics. BAD.

3. Quake97

Quake97 New Member
    Silver

I assume it was on at the time. You might be screwed. Try giving it some time to dry out. Leave it alone for a few days and put it in the dry place. You might get lucky. I guess this will teach you to keep technology out of the bathroom. :)

Joe

4. wjp09

wjp09 Zealot
    Gold

ok heres the deal. What shorts the board is the electricity traveling through the water all over, leave it off. don't TURN IT ON. let it air dry then take a blow drier to it.

5. TrippalHealicks

TrippalHealicks New Member
    Gold

Yeah, don't turn it on for a few days.
    I don't do this one, either. lol

6. brinox

brinox New Member
    Bronze

pour a ton of rice onto it in a bowl, and let it sit for a few days

7. DRabbit

DRabbit New Member
    Bronze

1) Don't flush.
    2) Remove from Toilet
    3) Brush off your bruised pride.
    4) Let it dry for a few days, turned off.
    5) Pray
    6) Prep credit card for the probability of replacement.

8. veedubcos

veedubcos New Member
    Bronze

Blow dryer is a very very bad idea... I would recommend the bowl of rice.. (uncooked of course)

#8 veedubcos, Jul 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2014
  9. AngelJO008

AngelJO008 New Member
    Bronze

To clarify....use UNcooked rice

10. wjp09

wjp09 Zealot
    Gold

idk ive heard blowdrier works. Rice does too. don't BE TEMPTED.don't EATYOUR iPhone.

11. ColsTiger

ColsTiger Zealot
    Gold

I've got my fingers crossed for you, but it doesn't sound very promising. Hope I'm wrong.

12. tharmsen

tharmsen New Member
    Silver

Oh crap! I just cooked my rice with my iPhone in the bowl and now it won't work! HELP!

:p

13. tharmsen

tharmsen New Member
    Silver

I've spilled water on a Blackberry 7250 and it killed the phone. I took the battery out and let it sit for about 3 days and it came back to life, but two buttons were dead. I returned it to Verizon and they sent me a new one.

What sucks about the iPhone is that we don't have insurance... this is a serious oversight on AT&T's part.

Does anyone know of an insurance company that you can contact to insure a cell phone? I would put my phone on my home owners, but my deductible is such that it would be cheaper to just buy a new phone.

14. minivini

minivini Member
    Bronze

This is probably one of the best arguments for having a removable battery. About a year ago, I spilled a giant cup of coffee all over my laptop and HTC Wizard - they were syncing at the time. I immediately yanked out both batteries, and took them to the kitchen sink and turned the sprayer on both - liberally (all the while muttering some interesting profanities). I took them outside, opened everything up as much as possible and let the sun do it's work. It was July, so it was nice and warm. About 6 hrs later, I put the battery back into the Wizard, not expecting anything good to happen, and it cranked right up. Encouraged, I did the same thing with the laptop - bingo!

I fully believe that the ability to quickly get the batteries out saved both devices. Hopefully, the iPhone is equipped with some sort of water sensing shut off mechanism. Good luck! Get the next one on your home owner's insurance policy!

re. tharmsen...
    Just need to reduce your deductible. It usually doesn't make a huge difference in your premium to drop from $1000 to $500, and the drop to $250 is even smaller (with most policies). The key here is to get replacement cost coverage. I carry a $25,000 photographic equipment policy and the replacement rider is only about $50 a year. Makes a HUGE difference when you need to replace something expensive like a $3000 lens!

15. IceTrAiN

IceTrAiN New Member
    Bronze

Wow. That really sucks dude. I hope it works out for you. I have all the empathy in the world for you because I would cry if my iPhone went awal, but to be perfectly honest... I almost spit food on my monitor when I saw the title of the tread.. lol

16. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

Yo

Yo man that does sucks. I hope it comes back. Keep us updated regardless. If nothing else comes out of this at least we will know how the phone stands up to water. Your iPhone took one for the team. Best of luck.

17. justinr66

justinr66 New Member

thanks guys but i really think it may be shot because after it happened initially it was doing all kinds of weird things on the screen and then eventually it just shut off. Ever since it has shown no hope of reviving itself. Do you guys think I should attempt to go to the Apple store and say its broken?

18. cdodkin

cdodkin New Member
    Bronze

It's worth a shot - however, all cell phones have a nice little moisture detector these days, so they can tell if it's been for a swim!

If you get an Apple employee who's not up to speed on the cellphone side, you have a fighting chance I guess.

19. justinr66

justinr66 New Member

well after reading the posts, i now have it sitting nicely in a bowl of uncooked rice. Do you think the fact that ive already tryed to turn it on burned it out anyways.

20. tharmsen

tharmsen New Member
    Silver

There is a good chance the damage is done.

Let it completely dry out then take it to Apple and tell them it shut off and won't power up. They may exchange it... but if they send it in for service the techs will know what happened.