Help! Dropped my iPhone in the toilet

Apple iAddicted

Contributor
Bronze
Feb 20, 2012
Before the rice, and I still need to get one, order a tool kit off ebay or you may have them alteady (small torqux <the star screw driver> small phillips, small flat head, and a guitar pick) take the back off and disconnect the battery you will need some 3M double sided tape when putting it back together. That way the rice gets all the moisture out then clean with alcohol let dry for a day put it back together and power up this way drys faster only one day in rice and a day after cleaning with alcohol. How I do all my water damaged phones, never lost one to water just drops lol

Sent from my 32GB 4G iPhone 4s on iOS 5.1!
Only thing iPhone is missing is an expandable memory port! Come on Apple give us a microSD port already!

uRabbit

Bronze
Jul 13, 2009
If it is still under warranty, send it in. Before they came out with the new AppleCare+, Apple sent me a new 3GS even though it was clearly water-damaged. :)

fearofnormalcy

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 8, 2010
New Port Richey, FL
www.facebook.com
While I didn't drop my iPhone in the toilet, I did get my 3GS wet at work, and had the same problem as the OP the last few weeks I owned it.

I found that switching to speaker during a call allowed me to at least hear and be heard. For some reason my 3GS thought that headphones were connected even when they weren't (the camera wouldn't open either).

Not a permanent fix, but at least you should be able to make and receive phone calls in a pinch.

Natalie89

Nov 13, 2013
Hi guys, I dropped my iPhone In the toilet this morning :( I tried to towel dry it as much as I could, it was working perfectly when I got it out but about 5 mins later I tried to play music n speakers weren't working it was going crazy for a sec with red hot chilli peppers,Siri and my news feed coming up all at once! I locked it and placed it in a bowl with rice Whilst I got ready for work after 40 mins I checked it but the touch screen didn't seem to be working, it won't slide to unlock! I switched it off n on by doing a soft reboot but still nothing everything else seems to work by what I can see without being able to unlock the screen I called and It rings. I switched it off n took it to work in a sandwhich bag with rice. I tried switching it on twice since and still works but I still can't unlock the screen I have switched it off and I'm going to leave it overnight in a bowl of rice. my question is does anyone know what is actually going on with the screen? as in what has it affected? and if there's anything else I can do? Would it be a good idea to open it up by someone who knows how to ?

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Best thing to do when this happens is immediately power the phone off and leave it in a bowl of rice for several days. You have to give it a chance to dry out before you can test it to see the extent of the damage. Constantly fiddling with it will only make it worse.

Natalie89

Nov 13, 2013
Yes Iv only just realised that once I got home from work and did some research :/ I haven't switched it on since but thanks guys !

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
Chris--

One correction and one suggestion on your guide you reference:

Correction: You recommend that they put it in a big of rice. I'm not sure what a big of rice is. Maybe you should recommend a BAG of rice.

Suggestion: let people know that while standard warranty doesn't cover water damage, AppleCare+ does. And if they are within the first 30 days of ownership, it may not be too late to add it.

Sent using iCafe app from the Golden iPhone

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Chris--

One correction and one suggestion on your guide you reference:

Correction: You recommend that they put it in a big of rice. I'm not sure what a big of rice is. Maybe you should recommend a BAG of rice.

Suggestion: let people know that while standard warranty doesn't cover water damage, AppleCare+ does. And if they are within the first 30 days of ownership, it may not be too late to add it.

Sent using iCafe app from the Golden iPhone
Got the typo fixed. I'll add the other bit as well. Thanks!(y)

brdmsd

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
My iPhone 5s was in my jacket pocket and as I WS flushing the toilet it fell Out and into the toilet bowl (clean water). I immediately retrieved it and dried it off.

It is now working fine but I'm not getting any clicking sound on the keyboard or the sound the phone makes when you open and close it. What do I do to restore these features?

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I'd keep the phone off for a few days and dry it off. People have reported success using rice with the phone in a ziplock bag.