Help! Dropped my iPhone in the toilet

bigviking

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Why was it in the bathroom ?

I know that the iPhone screen is really beautiful. Just what website were you on when you "dropped it in the toilet".

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
yeah but

I know that many of us would like this to work... but it is very dishonest. What happened to owning up to one's mistakes? I know that we could rationalize it by saying that Apple can afford it, but the bottom line is that a) cost has to be absorbed somewhere and b) he would be getting something he is not owed. I try to live my life without ever taking anything that is not really mine.

I would look at existing insurance or credit card coverage. These are all legal and honest outs. If not, I'd tell them the truth and see what they offer you... maybe they would repair it a cost. In any case, any of these options would (I hope) make you sleep better at night.
What you say is true but besides honesty, there is also such a thing as charity and kindness. If I (along with many others at Rutgers Dance Marathon) can raise over $250,000 annually for children with blood disorders, why can't a Multi Billion Dollar Corporation shell out an extra product (or possibly a few hundred) to those who have bought, and accidentally broken their product.

While honosty might be the right thing to do, I can almost guarentee the best thing your gonna get is "Im sorry, but theres nothing we can do" tangled in with some sad faces and a real bad day. Apple can afford to help you out, let them, just don't let them know they are.

ATT*Mark

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
so your comparing a foundation for helping less fortunate people , or raising money to help people with terminal illnesses, to helping a dumbass who dropped his phone in the toilet?

Jun 7, 2007
Queens, NY
I dropped my iPhone in the toillet last night and now it wont turn on or anything. I really have no idea what to do. Any suggestions would be very helpful!

Get a bowl with a lid. A tight sealing lid. Put some rice in the bowl. Put iPhone in bowl. Seal . Leave it for a few days. The rice helps absorb moisture.

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
so your comparing a foundation for helping less fortunate people , or raising money to help people with terminal illnesses, to helping a dumbass who dropped his phone in the toilet?
Children are less fortunate to me (and Rutgers) as the "dumbass" is to Apple. Just like the children didn't ask for the disorder, the "dumbass" didn't ask for his cellphone to go on a cruise with terds.

You would'ent be saying that if it was your phone. Clumsiness has nothing to do with being a dumbass.

But I do not know you, and I do not know him. All I know is I was trying to be nice and give some friendly advice of what I would do in the situation.

ATT*Mark

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
are you kidding me , he "chose" to bring it into the bathroom . don't compare a dieing children to a phone junkie who dropped it into the toilet , come on......

id never blame Apple for my mistake . i deal with idiotic customers like that DAILY at AT&T "i ran over my phone i want a free one" give me a damn break.....

if its not caused by a manufacturer defect or error its not Apples responsability , bottom line.

you think i haven't trashed phones in my day? if i dropped mine in the toilet i wouldn't be looking to Apple for a handout. im not a FREELOADER like that.

daviddogma

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
What you say is true but besides honesty, there is also such a thing as charity and kindness. If I (along with many others at Rutgers Dance Marathon) can raise over $250,000 annually for children with blood disorders, why can't a Multi Billion Dollar Corporation shell out an extra product (or possibly a few hundred) to those who have bought, and accidentally broken their product.

While honosty might be the right thing to do, I can almost guarentee the best thing your gonna get is "Im sorry, but theres nothing we can do" tangled in with some sad faces and a real bad day. Apple can afford to help you out, let them, just don't let them know they are.

This reminds me of Kohlberg's stages of moral development. The following is a classic scenario, it has little to do with iPhone, but a lot to do with this forum:

A woman was near death from a special kind of cancer. There was one drug that the doctors thought might save her. It was a form of radium that a druggist in the same town had recently discovered. The drug was expensive to make, but the druggist was charging ten times what the drug cost him to produce. He paid $200 for the radium and charged $2,000 for a small dose of the drug. The sick woman's husband, Heinz, went to everyone he knew to borrow the money, but he could only get together about $ 1,000, which is half of what it cost. He told the druggist that his wife was dying and asked him to sell it cheaper or let him pay later. But the druggist said, "No, I discovered the drug and I'm going to make money from it." So Heinz got desperate and broke into the man's store to steal the drug for his wife.

Should Heinz have broken into the laboratory to steal the drug for his wife? Why or why not?
From a theoretical point of view, it is not important what the participant thinks that Heinz should do. Kohlberg's theory holds that the justification the participant offers is what is significant, the form of their response. Below are some of many examples of possible arguments that belong to the six stages:
Stage one (obedience): Heinz should not steal the medicine because he will consequently be put in prison which will mean he is a bad person. Or: Heinz should steal the medicine because it is only worth $200 and not how much the druggist wanted for it; Heinz had even offered to pay for it and was not stealing anything else.
Stage two (self-interest): Heinz should steal the medicine because he will be much happier if he saves his wife, even if he will have to serve a prison sentence. Or: Heinz should not steal the medicine because prison is an awful place, and he would probably languish over a jail cell more than his wife's death.
Stage three (conformity): Heinz should steal the medicine because his wife expects it; he wants to be a good husband. Or: Heinz should not steal the drug because stealing is bad and he is not a criminal; he tried to do everything he could without breaking the law, you cannot blame him.
Stage four (law-and-order): Heinz should not steal the medicine because the law prohibits stealing, making it illegal. Or: Heinz should steal the drug for his wife but also take the prescribed punishment for the crime as well as paying the druggist what he is owed. Criminals cannot just run around without regard for the law; actions have consequences.
Stage five (human rights): Heinz should steal the medicine because everyone has a right to choose life, regardless of the law. Or: Heinz should not steal the medicine because the scientist has a right to fair compensation. Even if his wife is sick, it does not make his actions right.
Stage six (universal human ethics): Heinz should steal the medicine, because saving a human life is a more fundamental value than the property rights of another person. Or: Heinz should not steal the medicine, because others may need the medicine just as badly, and their lives are equally significant.

spyrwebs

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Travelin man, SOCAL
Think about it, if you dropped your phone in the toilet it would be a different speech. its because it's not your phone and it's someone eles problem. Would you say to yourself : "gee i destroyed my iPhone, oh well, im not gonna take it to Apple tho, its my fault. At least i have the coolest looking paper weight in the office. Now I can explain to people what my iPhone could have done if it worked."

The cost factor of the product has already been added whether is an actual defect or consumer error. They know people are going to try and return things for warranty because it got dropped. I've been the the Genius Bar. Wanna know what they said. "As long as it dosen't show signs of abuse "dents or scrapes" Apple dosen't care, its under warranty." Its not dishonesty, its using what you already paid for, one year warranty.

I know that many of us would like this to work... but it is very dishonest. What happened to owning up to one's mistakes? I know that we could rationalize it by saying that Apple can afford it, but the bottom line is that a) cost has to be absorbed somewhere and b) he would be getting something he is not owed. I try to live my life without ever taking anything that is not really mine.

I would look at existing insurance or credit card coverage. These are all legal and honest outs. If not, I'd tell them the truth and see what they offer you... maybe they would repair it a cost. In any case, any of these options would (I hope) make you sleep better at night.

ATT*Mark

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
im all for the OP to take it back and get a new one . but for somebody to accuse Apple of oweing us anything is insane. its not our right to own an iPhone we had to pay for it . thats like walking up to donald trump and saying he owes us money because he has more....

J-Sauce

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
If you go into the store where you bought it and tell them what happened, chances are you will not have your phone replaced.

But if you go in and just say it stopped working, they will most likely get a new unit before they realize it was water-damaged.

The question is, can you live with yourself knowing you did something that dishonest for such a large amount of money?

I personally would try drying it out. If all the features did not return, I would list it on ebay. Making sure to note in detail what happened and that the phone is most likely repairable. Take that money and put it towards a new one. You shouldnt have to put in more than another couple hundred out of pocket. And you wont have to worry about any warranty refusals, battery replacements, or the phone just crapping-out on you in the future.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
I blame AT&T for not selling us insurance. I've tried contacting various insurance companies and they won't insure the phone. Had AT&T offered insurance and had this guy opted to take it, this would be a moot point. Stick it to AT&T... :)

My Moto Q came out of it's factory holster 2 months into owning it and fell flat on it's screen. The glass was broken.

I always take insurance on PDA phones and I did this time. It paid off. $50 is all it cost for me to replace my $400 phone. Pretty darn good.

I would take insurance on my iPhone too... it's total BS I can't even opt to get it.

ATT*Mark

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
i read somewhere of a company called like, cellinsure or something that does it . i cant remember the name exactly but its kinda upsetting to have the most expensive phone and not have it insured. but its not cost effective enough for AT&T.

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Think about it, if you dropped your phone in the toilet it would be a different speech. its because it's not your phone and it's someone eles problem. Would you say to yourself : "gee i destroyed my iPhone, oh well, im not gonna take it to Apple tho, its my fault. At least i have the coolest looking paper weight in the office. Now I can explain to people what my iPhone could have done if it worked."

The cost factor of the product has already been added whether is an actual defect or consumer error. They know people are going to try and return things for warranty because it got dropped. I've been the the Genius Bar. Wanna know what they said. "As long as it dosen't show signs of abuse "dents or scrapes" Apple dosen't care, its under warranty." Its not dishonesty, its using what you already paid for, one year warranty.
I thought about it before I wrote this. As I said, I would be tempted, but it would not make a difference. It would really suck, but I will sleep better knowing that I didn't take what I'm not owed.

It is dishonest to tell them that you don't know what happened to cause it to stop working.

Imagine asking this question to a bunch of normal folks who own Apple stock in their retirement and investment portfolios. What do you think they'll say? "Sure, give him a new one"? I don't think so. Would you accept this as a small businesss owner? I don't think so. Morality shouldn't change based on the size of the corporation.

What is wrong with paying to fix it when you make a mistake?

JnC

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
My Moto Q came out of it's factory holster 2 months into owning it and fell flat on it's screen. The glass was broken.
If a Motorola phone falls out of its OEM Motorola holster, I would consider that a design flaw.

J-Sauce

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
If a Motorola phone falls out of its OEM Motorola holster, I would consider that a design flaw.
Depending on the circumstances.

Chances are that the person didn't buckle or correctly, or were doing some excessive moving.