Help hooking up MacBook to Samsung LED TV

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
I have a MacBook running OSX 10.6.8 and a Samsung UN55ES8000 LED TV (Smart TV). I hooked up my MB using the DVI/HDMI adapter. All I get on the screen is the purple galaxy. I want to watch a movie from iTunes.

I tried Settings/Displays/Gather Displays. That didn't do anything.

Any suggestions?

I have a much smaller and older Samsung LCD TV and it works fine. I really want to watch the movie on my 55 inch instead of my smaller TV.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
if your model Samsung has dlna then you should be able to it over your internal network. you answer maybe found here>
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3011974?start=0&tstart=0
http://www.tvmobili.com/download.php
It does, but my MacBook is a mid 2007 model. Most of the apps in the app store require OS 10.7 or later, which I can't get for my "old" MacBook. I got iMediaserver, but can't figure out how to get the TV show in iTunes to play on the TV. Any advice?

Spawser

Jan 5, 2013
It does, but my MacBook is a mid 2007 model. Most of the apps in the app store require OS 10.7 or later, which I can't get for my "old" MacBook. I got iMediaserver, but can't figure out how to get the TV show in iTunes to play on the TV. Any advice?
I have also an old MacBook at work. We have installed there XBMC, and it works fine. You can install this mediaplayer and setup shared folders, and then play on tv all the shared files.

Spawser

Jan 5, 2013
Well, I ment this XBMC
XBMC is an award-winning free and open source (GPL) software media player and entertainment hub for digital media. XBMC is available for Linux, OSX, and Windows. Created in 2003 by a group of like minded programmars, XBMC is a non-profit project run and developed by volunteers located around the world. More than 50 software developers have contributed to XBMC, and 100-plus translators have worked to expand its reach, making it available in more than 30 langauges.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
Well, I ment this XBMC
XBMC is an award-winning free and open source (GPL) software media player and entertainment hub for digital media. XBMC is available for Linux, OSX, and Windows. Created in 2003 by a group of like minded programmars, XBMC is a non-profit project run and developed by volunteers located around the world. More than 50 software developers have contributed to XBMC, and 100-plus translators have worked to expand its reach, making it available in more than 30 langauges.
I know that's the one I commented above your post. It did not work.