Help - How can I copy an avi file to iTunes

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

dude859

Nov 28, 2007
Hi - I have a movie thats mpeg4 (avi) file that I wish to transfer to iTunes to play on my iPhone - when I try to import file from my folder on my pc to iTunes I don't see where my file has been located within iTunes - am I doing anything wrong - is this the correct format etc - many thanks ro

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Hi - I have a movie thats mpeg4 (avi) file that I wish to transfer to iTunes to play on my iPhone - when I try to import file from my folder on my pc to iTunes I don't see where my file has been located within iTunes - am I doing anything wrong - is this the correct format etc - many thanks ro
If it is the correct format for the iPhone the movie will show up in iTunes under the Movie heading on the left menu. If it is not showing up there then the format may be incorrect. Videora is a free converter program for movies and you might want to download that and convert a video then import it just to make sure that the problem is not with your copy of iTunes.

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
If it is the correct format for the iPhone the movie will show up in iTunes under the Movie heading on the left menu. If it is not showing up there then the format may be incorrect. Videora is a free converter program for movies and you might want to download that and convert a video then import it just to make sure that the problem is not with your copy of iTunes.

thanks for that info i also had been looking for something to convert my stuff with out having to pay for a program thanks much

wellemily

Nov 8, 2011
According to Apple official website, iTunes only works with QuickTime and MPEG-4 Movie files that end in ".mov", ".m4v", or ".mp4" and are playable in QuickTime Player. Therefore, if you try to import .avi movie to iTunes for syncing, it will end in fail in importing AVI video to iTunes let alone transfer this AVI file to iPad, iPhone, iPod.

In order to successfuly import AVI files to iTunes, we have to convert this AVI video to iTunes compatible video format like MP4.

Just google search Step by Step Guide on How to Convert and Import AVI to iTunes/iPad/iPhone/iPod/Apple TV?

you will find a step by step guide on how to import avi to iTunes as well as import avi to iPhone, ipad, ipod, and Apple tv

Njshoremom4gurlz

Contributor
Silver
Sep 13, 2011
I am glad u asked this!
I personally LOVE Avi movie files they are fast to load and take up so little space!

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Navaskdl

Bronze
Dec 27, 2010
Install vlc player and use app file sharing in iTunes. Just copy the file to vlc app sharing folder and it can be played by vlc

K

Kenneth Wilson

SoundTaxi may help you - one of those converting tools. they have separate settings for ipod and iPhone. (not free)

Oct 14, 2013

Chaoidlg

May 15, 2014
Two ways:

Handbrake: this software is free and can convert AVI to iTunes MP4. But it doesn't convert AVI to MOV. Besides it's so complicate to handle.

Third party software: I'm using Faasoft Video Converter. This kind of software is easy to use but they are not free.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Since this was bumped, let me offer up the correct answer. Sure you can convert AVI to MP4, but you don't need to do that. There are plenty of apps in the App Store that will play AVI files. For example, VLC for iOS. Search 'AVI' in the App Store and there are a ton of options.