Help! Huge Help! Contacts Gone!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Aug 16, 2007
This is incredibly awful. I connected my iPhone to my computer for it's nightly charge and as I went to my contacts, they are 100% empty! I had everyones address, pictures, numbers, etc! They are also gone on my computer! Am I screwed?

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
My contacts have never been on the PC, they've always been on the iPhone. If I went back 24 hours, wouldn't I still have 0 contacts?
If you've synced before, then the contacts were on the PC at some point.
If you've never synced your contacts with the PC, you're screwed, forgive the expression.

Aug 16, 2007
Man that sucks! I'd be so pissed! Maybe aple can help you out! Call'em up!
Yeah I figured it out. All contacts were on the iPhone. I then checked "sync with windows contacts" (which had 0 contacts) then iTunes asked me to merge, or replace, and I clicked replaced. Instead of the iPhone replacing the contacts, Windows Contacts replaced the iPhone to 0 contacts.

JACathcart

Jul 6, 2007
The first rule of handheld computers

As a longtime PDA user (starting with the first Palm Pilot by US Robotics), I have become an adamant believer in the first rule of handheld computers. Always, always, always back them up to a computer (every day...without fail...no exceptions).

Consider your loss of contacts a lesson well learned. If you don't backup your data, you will lose it permanently, it is simply a matter of time. If your phone doesn't glitch on you (as yours did), you will one day drop it in the toilet. If that doesn't happen, you will leave it in the airport, locker room, bathroom, etc. If that doesn't happen, it will get stolen. Sooner or later, you are going to permanently lose everything (unless it's backed up).

All is not lost...you will manually recover your data over the next few days. You will then backup your iPhone and never have to do it again.

Good luck!

Aug 16, 2007
As a longtime PDA user (starting with the first Palm Pilot by US Robotics), I have become an adamant believer in the first rule of handheld computers. Always, always, always back them up to a computer (every day...without fail...no exceptions).

Consider your loss of contacts a lesson well learned. If you don't backup your data, you will lose it permanently, it is simply a matter of time. If your phone doesn't glitch on you (as yours did), you will one day drop it in the toilet. If that doesn't happen, you will leave it in the airport, locker room, bathroom, etc. If that doesn't happen, it will get stolen. Sooner or later, you are going to permanently lose everything (unless it's backed up).

All is not lost...you will manually recover your data over the next few days. You will then backup your iPhone and never have to do it again.

Good luck!
Actually, I lost all my contacts because I backed them up on my computer.