HELP - I need to reset iPhone daily, why?

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
So every day, usually in the evening or night, I can't access the Internet, send/receive emails, or do anything data related. I need to reset the iPhone. I've been soft resetting and it works. But, why do I have to do this? Is my iPhone corrupted? Should I restore/update and than re-jailbreak?

Any insight would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
WiFi and 3G? Reset your network settings. If it's just WiFi, try toggling WiFi off and then back on each time it does it. I occasionally have to do this.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I was having a problem of my TrendNet wifi router dropping it's connection to my cable modem. I ended up updating the router firmware and it seems to have fixed the problem.
Now, if you are losing ALL connectivity (wifi and cellular) then it sounds like there might be a problem with your firmware- or even worse, hardware.
A hard reset (holding the home and sleep buttons till the Apple logo appears) is one way to fix, but you should only have to do this once.
If this is what you've been doing, then the next step is to go to settings, general, and reset and choose reset network settings.
If that doesn't work, then you probably need to restore the phone and re-jailbreak. You will need TinyUmbrella for this.

moonfish

Bronze
Feb 17, 2011
That's what I used to do until I realized toggling WiFi had the same effect and was faster. I still power-cycle my router monthly, though.
No seriously, I've tried my resetting my iPhones wifi settings many times, and it didn't want to know. Turning router on/off is only thing that works.
It might just be the case I have too many idevices connecting. But this info isn't gonna help the OP.

I'd say restore again. When I updated to 4.3.3 my iPhone was sluggish and basically a horrible phone to use. When I restored again, it cleared up all the bugs and was good again :)

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
No seriously, I've tried my resetting my iPhones wifi settings many times, and it didn't want to know. Turning router on/off is only thing that works.
It might just be the case I have too many idevices connecting. But this info isn't gonna help the OP.

I'd say restore again. When I updated to 4.3.3 my iPhone was sluggish and basically a horrible phone to use. When I restored again, it cleared up all the bugs and was good again :)
Moonfish, That is exactly the same problem I was having except I only have the iPhone and my Laptop. A firmware update on the router fixed the problem.

moonfish

Bronze
Feb 17, 2011
Moonfish, That is exactly the same problem I was having except I only have the iPhone and my Laptop. A firmware update on the router fixed the problem.
Cheers Hawk, have tried many times to update my router, just none would ever take, so gave up. When it gets to be a real problem, I'll get rid of my buffalo and get a linksys or netgear ;)

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Remember that when updating the firmware, you have to have a wired connection and in many cases, set a static IP address for that connection on your PC before doing anything. That might be why you haven't been able to update. I always forget, get pissed and then remember or google and remember and then everything is fine.

moonfish

Bronze
Feb 17, 2011
Remember that when updating the firmware, you have to have a wired connection and in many cases, set a static IP address for that connection on your PC before doing anything. That might be why you haven't been able to update. I always forget, get pissed and then remember or google and remember and then everything is fine.
Yeah, did it hard wired :p just didn't want to know. Even tried a tomato firmware, but still no go. Will get a new one at some point :)

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Youmight want to look at geeks.com or tigerdirect.com Either one generally has some great deals.
If you want a "higher-end" model, you can also go to pricewatch.com and search for what you are looking for. They list 90% of all internet pricing and you can generally score some decent deals.

moonfish

Bronze
Feb 17, 2011
Youmight want to look at geeks.com or tigerdirect.com Either one generally has some great deals.
If you want a "higher-end" model, you can also go to pricewatch.com and search for what you are looking for. They list 90% of all internet pricing and you can generally score some decent deals.
Thanks for your words. Will look into it ;)

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
moonfish, my Linksys WRT54G has worked pretty much flawlessly since 2001, when Cox aren't being a bunch of... well you know. It's only Wireless G instead of N but it's done it's job well for 10 years. There's a reason it has hundreds of positive reviews on Amazon and still sells for more than even some newer N model routers.

moonfish

Bronze
Feb 17, 2011
Wow! Two good routers :D
Cheers guys, but I better leave this post, as I seem to have totally hijacked it.
Sorry EverythingApple