HELP! I'm going to get the phone in an hour and i need this questioned answered

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
Sorry for the urgency...I wanted to know if there is any difference between going to Apple or going to AT&T?

First i will be going to Verizon to have my account cancelled and i assume i have to ask them to port my number?

The does it matter if i go to Apple or AT&T? Did someone say that AT&T doesn't replace hardware so you should go to Apple? Can you do all the porting of numbers if you just buy a phone from Apple go on iTunes?

Lastly, you don't have to set up the account for your phone at AT&T right? I can go on iTunes right? and create a plan for it?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Welcome to the forums!

Honestly, it does not really matter which store you go to. I would prefer to go to the Apple store, because I tend to have better experiences there. However, I believe the only difference between the two is that AT&T asks you for your Social Security Number during the purchase, while Apple does not.

You can do the entire activation process via iTunes. Plugging the phone into your computer will prompt iTunes, and there you will set up the phone. It took me approximately 10 minutes to do.

Have fun!

- John

gerstyd

Bronze
Sep 17, 2007
Sorry for the urgency...I wanted to know if there is any difference between going to Apple or going to AT&T?

First i will be going to Verizon to have my account cancelled and i assume i have to ask them to port my number?

The does it matter if i go to Apple or AT&T? Did someone say that AT&T doesn't replace hardware so you should go to Apple? Can you do all the porting of numbers if you just buy a phone from Apple go on iTunes?

Lastly, you don't have to set up the account for your phone at AT&T right? I can go on iTunes right? and create a plan for it?
Also, if you have just ok credit, go to the ATT store, they can get you approved more easily than activating the phone through iTunes. (-:

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
Thanks for the quick response, i really appreciate it. As far as porting your number that can be done through iTunes as well? How does that work? i tell verizon i want to port my number and so its saved and then i go on iTunes and there is an option for using an existing number?

dobymax

Bronze
Oct 19, 2007
I ported my number from Verizon also. You don't need to go to Verizon. When you activate your iPhone through iTunes, it will close your Verizon account for you and port your number at the same time, but leave the Verizion number active while porting.

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
also? if i buy it from Apple does it mean whenever i have a problem i go only to Apple at that point? or i can go to either AT&T or Apple whenever i have a problem...regardless of where i bought it

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
I just want to make sure that when i go to verizon (which i have to do for unexplained reasons) to cancel my service, and my brother needs to upgrade his phone...if i tell them i wanna port the number, i'll be able to get the number through iTunes

gerstyd

Bronze
Sep 17, 2007
I just want to make sure that when i go to verizon (which i have to do for unexplained reasons) to cancel my service, and my brother needs to upgrade his phone...if i tell them i wanna port the number, i'll be able to get the number through iTunes
Go to the att store. THey will be able to answer these questions, and help port your number better. Seriously. GO to the ATT store. If you mess it up in iTunes, you will be boned.

gerstyd

Bronze
Sep 17, 2007
I wouldn't say the folks at ATT are less educated. Maybe they don't know the ins and outs of iPhones as well as Apple, but they know more about specific network questions. The guys at my ATT store rock. And who cares if they ask for your SSN? You have to give it up at the activation anyway. You will still have your credit checked when you go to activate it online. So whats the difference? I found it much easier to do my businesss with a live person than a machine that cant answer my specific questions.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I wouldn't say the folks at ATT are less educated. Maybe they don't know the ins and outs of iPhones as well as Apple, but they know more about specific network questions. The guys at my ATT store rock. And who cares if they ask for your SSN? You have to give it up at the activation anyway. You will still have your credit checked when you go to activate it online. So whats the difference? I found it much easier to do my businesss with a live person than a machine that cant answer my specific questions.
I wasn't saying that you didn't give your SSN at all when you buy from Apple. I'm just saying you aren't asked for it at the Apple store.

- John

Boosted_Brian

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
DO NOT CANCEL YOUR ACCOUNT WITH VERIZON!

If you want to port your number you must not cancel your account first. If you cancel your account before your pick up the iPhone you will not be able to get your number.

Purchase the iPhone, activate it via iTunes. All you need is a copy of your account number that should be on any Verizon billing statement. Once the port has gone through. (Mine took 72 hours before everything started working correctly. I got my phone calls immediately, but text messaging was not 100% for a couple days) Once the port has gone through, Verizon will know that you cancelled your account. There is no need for you to call them.

I used to work for a wireless company and dealt with this all the time. If you were to cancel your account before you port the number, you will not be able to port the number over because it will not be able to find the number from an account you cancelled.

Hope this helps you.

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
If you cancel your service with Verizon before porting you will lose your number.

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
And who cares if they ask for your SSN? You have to give it up at the activation anyway. You will still have your credit checked when you go to activate it online. So whats the difference?
Here's the difference,

I first brought my little brother to the At&t store to get an iPhone,
everything was fine until we got to the counter, they ran a credit check and his credit score is low so it did not pass
i explained i knew this already and just want to do it prepaid once i activate it with iTunes
they go on to tell me there is no pre paid plan for the iPhone yada yada yada
obviously they did not know what they were talking about.
Once i realized i was dealing with a bunch of smucks i said okay fine
let me just buy the phone and i will set it up at home
the AT&T rep explained to me that that was not an option
he said i can either put my brothers phone under my name and sign up for a plan (no thank you) or my brother can put down a 300 dollar deposit which he will get back at the end of the year if he pays his bill on time ( no thank you again)
my brother did not even want a calling plan he just preferred the iPhone over the ipod touch because the camera and the speaker
anyway.....
So i told this "rep" to go take a long walk off of a short cliff
and i left.

i drove to the Apple store about 15 minutes away ...
went in walked up to the counter asked for the iPhone, they pulled one out
i swiped my card..bada bing bada boom me n my lil bro went home with an iPhone in 5 minutes

p.s. before i got helped in AT&T store i signed my name in the book and had to wait for a "rep" and it took like 20 minutes
i was in the store a total of 45 minutes

p.p.s. Now you can see why i say Apple store is hassle free
and the AT&T staff are a bunch of swines

dooki

Sep 21, 2007
CA
AT&T reps tried to rip me off

This is kind of O/T, but after I got my iPhone I had to get my dad a new AT&T cellphone. So I opt out for a razr. I asked how much it would cost, the rep told me "free" except tax.

I go to pay for the tax and he threw in all these accessories (case and bluetooth headset). I thought, man, this is all free? Dope! Then he says, your total is $100. I was like what? That doesn't sound like just tax. And then he says, it's $30 for the tax and $70 for the accessories. I said, take the accessories out, I don't need em. Then he says, if you don't get the accessories, it's $70 for the razr. Wtf? I thought it was free! Fricken lying rep.

So I went online with my iPhone and the AT&T website says the razr is absofrickenlutely free. I tell the rep I'm going to buy from the AT&T website instead and then he squirmed but did a price match and gave me the razr free plus tax.

In conclusion, avoid AT&T reps at all costs... go to the Apple store.

That's 1 point for the iPhone :p

sl0ppyshat

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Get it from the Apple store! AT&T will not exchage your phone out if you are having problems with it within the 14 day period without charging you a fee.

Apple will set you up with a new one right away within the 14 day period.

My bro bought his from ATT and was having terrible issues and they sent him to Apple, where he got a refurb one.

Bought mine from Apple and from day one had a bad attenna(no service ever!) and didn't have to wait for a genius or anything. New one within 10 min!

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I will tell you something that I thought was funny when I went to the AT&T store to look at the bluetooth devises. I asked the AT&T sales staff why they don't have iPhones themselves. He said it is the agreement that AT&T have with Apple, the staff cannot have them. AT&T pays for the staff phones, but the staff can own an iPhone on their own, but not use on the premises. That is a fact. Funny