Help! iPhone 3GS unlock query

Discussion in 'iPhone Unlock' started by wozmcnoz, Jul 11, 2012.

1. wozmcnoz

wozmcnoz New Member

I have searched in a lot of places and cant find an answer. Any help would be much appreciated.

I have been given an iPhone 3gs and i am trying to unlock it. i understand that with this band width it is not possible even after a jailbreak.

So i have followed instructions to convert to 6.15.0 then downgrade to another band following the instructions from the following site: http://www.iPhonejailbreak.me/how-to-downgrade-iphone-3gs-baseband-5-16-02-5-16-05-5-15-04-or-5-14-02-to-5-13-04-for-unlocking/

When i get to stage 8 tinyumbrella will not allow me to exit recovery because it is greyed out. is there another way to bypass error 1015? I have tried using recboot, but this did not help.

Any ideas/instructions would be much appreciated either when to bypass 1015 or to unlock the phone for use on any network.

If i have missed any instructions, please let me know.

2. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Try closing iTunes before running TinyUmbrella or RecBoot to get around error 1015

Other than that, only thing I can think of is start over and try DFUing 4.1 again

What are the first 5 digits of the serial number? (seen on the SIM card tray)

You need to know that to be sure whether you can even use 6.15.00 baseband

3. wozmcnoz

wozmcnoz New Member

Have tried with iTunes off... no luck. Tinyumbrella has all options greyed out. Recboot says failed to start because libusb0.dll was not found.

4. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

You can find LibUSB here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/libusb-win32/files/

Just out of curiosity, is the phone stuck at the recovery mode screen (iTunes logo, USB cable), or is the screen completely off (i.e. still in DFU mode)?

Try rebooting it yourself, by holding the home and power button for about 5 seconds or until the screen shuts off, then press the power button for about a second

5. wozmcnoz

wozmcnoz New Member

It is in recovery mode. I have downloaded the illusb file from, then placed it in the recboot folder as the readme file says, but it still comes up with the same error message.

Cheers for trying to help with this, much appreciated!

6. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

LibUSB is pretty tricky. Sometimes it wants to run in the Windows system folder, and other times, it's content to load it from the folder you're running RecBoot in. What version of RecBoot do you have?

Also, what version of Windows are you on, and is it 32 or 64 bit? (You can tell by holding in the Windows key and pressing Pause/Break. Somewhere, it will say the version of Windows, and "64-bit Operating System" or "x64 edition" will appear)

7. wozmcnoz

wozmcnoz New Member

Recboot: v1.3

Windows vista home basic 32 bit!

8. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Hmm.. Run everything as administrator, if you're not doing that already.

9. wozmcnoz

wozmcnoz New Member

10. wozmcnoz

wozmcnoz New Member

yes tried that...

11. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

I'm a little stumped now. Have you tried putting libusb0.dll and libusb0.sys in \windows\system32\?

12. wozmcnoz

wozmcnoz New Member

Hey thanks for your help. I bit the bullet and took it to someone to sort out for me... Was getting a bit out of my depth!

Cheers anyway!

13. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

I'm happy to help, or at least try wink2.gif

Did they say what was wrong with it, or what they did to fix it? Might be handy to know for future reference in case I run into this kind of thing again