help! iPhone deactivated/ iTunes demanding original SIM

merilee

Apr 14, 2009
On bad advice, I restored factory settings to my second hand 3G iPhone and now iTunes wants the original sim. I now have no access to any tool icons or phone functionality. I think it is actually deactivated. I bought a turbo sim which seems to work in that it shows that the phone is connected to the network, but the phone is still deactivated and stuck on the “connect to iTunes” logo and iTunes just wants the original sim. What can I do?
(The phone was running 2.2.1 firmware with 02.30.03 baseband when I got it.)
I've tried to use pwnage, but it fails.

fc97accord

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
Vancouver
You will have to get one of the phones carrier sims to put in and activate, I don't think there is another way.

merilee

Apr 14, 2009
fooling iTunes

Thanks. I was afraid of that. not as easy as it sounds though as I am in India and the phone is from Canada. I can send it there with somebody in a month or so, if that is what is necessary.
But what would happen if I plugged my iPhone into iTunes with the turbo sim installed. could I fool iTunes?
or what if I reinstalled firmware from my friend's airtel iPhone here in India. would that make a difference? (How does the iPhone know which "registered provider" to tweek to - through firmware or hardware?)