HELP! iPhone e-Mail Stinks Because...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Oct 3, 2007
Perhaps I am doing it wrong (I hope so) but I find receiving e-mail on my iPhone to be inelegantly designed.

I use a Verizon POP3 e-mail account. The iPhone and my PC each independently draw down messages from the Verizon server. Some of the messages I read on the PC and some I read on the iPhone. I would have hoped that when the PC and iPhone sync, any messages read on one device would be marked as read on the other. This does not happen so that I am forced to read (or at least open) all messages twice....once on the iPhone and once on the PC.

Is there a better way to do this?

Oct 3, 2007
What Do You Do?

yes when synched you shouldn't have that problem. It is true that the iPhone email is touchy and requires a little TLC.
Also, get rid of the verizon account.
Are you saying that e-mail read on your iPhone is automically marked as read on your PC and vice versa when they synch? What do you use as an e-mail client (I use OutLook)) What e-mail provider?

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
Sorry I was looking around the site... ...i use gmail. Outlook was giving me trouble with hotmail which cannot be done without paying for it. Gmail works great or you could search the web for a service that will get your mail and then send it on to you as a work around. I'm hearing yahoo mail works pretty decent, too. Give your topic a few hours and as folks get moving today this thread should really fill up with suggestions

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Just so you know, with pop accounts it CAN be an issue and it's not isolated to the iPhone... I have similar problems with laptops (both Mac and Windows).

Best thing you can do for mobile mail is go for an IMAP setup... once you go IMAP you'll realize it's truly the best way. All mail messages stay on the server until you delete them, and if you delete them they are truly gone (no matter where you delete them from). I've recently gone IMAP with all my accounts and it's the best thing I ever did.

.mac accounts use IMAP. I think you can get Yahoo IMAP if you pay. Not sure about GMail. Ask Verizon... they may offer IMAP accounts (not sure).

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
like DRabbit said, it's a POP v iMAP issue and it's NOT a fault in the iPhone's mail handling capabilities.

when the iPhone syncs with your computer, it's only syncing the email account settings, not the email messages themselves, and this is normal.

i have a .mac account which is IMAP - any messages i read/delete/reply to on my iPhone show up in the last state i left them in Mail on my mac when i get home - i don't have to go through messages i've already dealt with again. and it works the other way around as well - anything i handle on my mac at home shows up accordingly on my iPhone. that "syncing" is automatic on the server end of the account, not on my iPhone or mac - this is the hallmark of an IMAP account.

looking into an IMAP email account is your best bet to get the email handling you want - just don't blame your iPhone for what's going on with your POP account now! ;)

Oct 3, 2007
like DRabbit said, it's a POP v iMAP issue and it's NOT a fault in the iPhone's mail handling capabilities.

when the iPhone syncs with your computer, it's only syncing the email account settings, not the email messages themselves, and this is normal.

i have a .mac account which is IMAP - any messages i read/delete/reply to on my iPhone show up in the last state i left them in Mail on my mac when i get home - i don't have to go through messages i've already dealt with again. and it works the other way around as well - anything i handle on my mac at home shows up accordingly on my iPhone. that "syncing" is automatic on the server end of the account, not on my iPhone or mac - this is hallmark of an IMAP account.

looking into an IMAP email account is your best bet to get the email handling you want - just don't blame your iPhone for what's going on with your POP account now! ;)
Any suggestions for a free IMAP account? I could set-up my verizon account to forward to the IMAP and set up PC/iPhone to look to the IMAP account.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Any suggestions for a free IMAP account? I could set-up my verizon account to forward to the IMAP and set up PC/iPhone to look to the IMAP account.
a free IMAP account? i would love to find one of those myself! ;)

i think i have heard of one on another forum (though i think there are more message size and storage limits than normal), actually, but i can't remember any details about it. i'll try to hunt that down...

Prelector

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
I've never found a free imap account yet, and spent ALOT of time looking. There are some cheap ones, under $10us per month, if you search a bit.