Help, iPhone not charging!

1. monkeysrock0622 Zealot Gold

ok so I plugged my phone in to the dock and 5minutes later I noticed it wasn't charging. The little lightning bolt didn't show. I checked to see if everything was plugged in right and it was. Please help me find the prob. I even reset it and it still didn't work

2. veedubcos New Member Bronze

stupid question, but is your charge/doc connected properly? Do all the pins line up or is there anything in the charging port, maybe a piece of lint from your pocket?

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. rebelace New Member Bronze

I had this happen one time i just turned it off and back on and then plugged it back in and it worked. But i think it was more a spec of dust or something.

5. MTG New Member

What method are you using? USB to the computer or using the A/C power adapter?

Mine would only charge about 20% of the time on the A/C power adapter... and then a few days ago it stopped charging entirely! (the computer charging would still work, though) Anyway... I went to the Apple store and they determined my A/C adapter was dead. They gave me a new one free of charge.

SO -- maybe you have a defective adapter? I, too, was at a loss... thinking "it cant be this hard... what am I doing wrong?" ... turned out... bad part!

6. monkeysrock0622 Zealot Gold

I am using a/c adapter but I think you were right about being defective cause I tryed my old a/c charger and it worked just fine so I'll go to the Apple store and get a new adapter

7. JnC New Member Bronze

My wall wart stopped working for one day. As a test I tried to use it to charge a 4th gen iPod... no effect. I was resigned to having to take it back to Apple. Then mysteriously the next day it began working again.

8. blogmenow New Member

I needed to restore from default

Had what sounds like a similar problem with my new phone last night. Just wouldn't charge regardless of what plug I used, hard booted several times with no change. Finally just restored the device, it's now reloaded and charging is underway.

9. BigCiX Zealot Gold

Apple iPhone not recharging

My new Apple iPhone suddenly dissappears from iTunes screen after 2 minutes syncing, and stops recharging. Any idea why it does that?
    I have a 32GB 3Gs iPhone. My dock is connected to my laptop via usb. My laptop is on AC power of course, so I am really annoyed.
    It only recharging in those 2 minutes.
    The only way now is do get it out from the dock, and plug it back again, every 2 minutes. :mad:
    After 2 minutes, my iPhone still says it is syncing, but in iTunes there is no iPhone, and in real there is no syncing, no recharging!
    Any idea what is wrong?

10. BrownGem Zealot Gold

Have you tried taking the dock off and plugging directly into the phone dock port?

11. kryoken New Member

Possible solution

I've noticed that my phone is also developing an issue. It's not the cable I have multiple iPhones in the house, it's not the chargers there are also ipods that charge on the same USB or wall socket adapter.

I consider myself relatively technical... at least a mediocre hack... just replaced 3G screen on the wife's... so I know a bit about the phone and the on/off on/off made no sense but out of mild desperation; I tried it... and it coincidentally worked... which still made no sense. But then it didn't again, so I kept at it and started looking closer and closer, cause I'd open it up and replace the part if possible, and I noticed that there was lint... fine powdery lint... across my connections.

I opted to use a tooth pick and cleaned out the entire port the best I could without opening it and gently scraped the leads that the cable would connect to.

Fired right up again. Not saying this is everyone's issue, and be careful scraping the leads, i figured a toothpick prob wouldn't damage it too bad... better than the screwdriver i had at first... LOL... and hell if I couldn't charge it it was useless anyway! But a decent cleaning may be all you need.

12. GadgetRepair1 New Member

Very common problem

Hi,
    The fact that it is not charging is a very common problem with the 2G. If the iPhone was dropped or hit very hard, it may no longer charge, the Home button may not work all the time, and even the loudspeaker and microphone may not work. There is an issue with the cable that connects all these functions. It can be repaired though. Don't give up on your iPhone.

Take care,

Jim

13. SJU87 Member Bronze

Check the cables. I've had a couple that had weak points near the connections. The tip with using a toothpick was another thing that worked for me. I used the one from my Swiss Army knife and (carefuly) cleaned the speaker and microphone ports at the same time - I was having trouble connecting my car charger. After cleaning it connected and charged and I was impressed with the increase in volume from the speakers.

14. esophie New Member

Hey Jim, thats EXACTLY the problem of mine. Should I take it to Apple then or anyone can fix it? Thanks

15. Watcher Zealot Gold

I'd take it to Apple if it's still under warranty. If not, try to find a reputable iPhone repair shop online. My friend has used one successfuly twice, but I forgot the name of the website, unfortunately.

16. Steve Szmutko New Member

I am extremely frustrated. I bought an iPhone at the beginning of May. In the past two weeks, it has been replaced twice. The first phone would not take a charge. The second phone stopped working entirely in three days. I have had the third phone for six days and the charger no longer works (I have several). It doesn't work with the plug-in adapter; it doesn't work with the USB port. I am at wits end. I use my phone for businesss (phone and businesss email) and have only a small number of apps loaded. I do not leave it in heated areas or misuse it in any way. I plug it in to recharge at the end of the day when the battery is low. It is under warranty as it was just purchased, but I cannot afford to take two hours round trip each week to get a new phone -- the only response from the Apple Store clerks is that "We haven't had that happen before; here's a new one."

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is supposed to be such a terrific product, but quite frankly, to me it is crap!

Maybe Apple doesn't want to be in the iPhone businesss!

17. Barry Johannes Barnard New Member

18. Barry Johannes Barnard New Member

Hi Steve Szmutko, read this: http://willy.boerland.com/myblog/iPhone_not_charging_read_this
    it helped me with a similar problem:

1. switch the mute switch 4 times (up, down, up down)
    2. now press home and power for 6-10 seconds