Help - iPhone now a brick

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jan 11, 2007
Cary, NC
I have no idea what I've done but my iPhone is now a brick. It is doing nothing and not responding to any key presses. I can see the screen and it is very dim with a little circle in the middle that is spinning. I had previously modded my phone with jailbreakme.com. I was having problems with Youtube, so did a restore. I then attempted re-mod using the same jailbreakme.com process. It looked like it worked fine but when I went into Installer, and tried to load Summerboard this started. I've tried holding down the power button but nothing happens. Just a dim screen that I can't turn off, turn on or doing nothing. If I can get this unlocked and restored, I will never mess with modding again. It is just too risky, especially when you have no idea what you're doing.

Late update - I've finally got it restoring. I had to hold down the center button and the power button at the same time and was finally able to get it to power down. Now the restore is working.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I have no idea what I've done but my iPhone is now a brick. It is doing nothing and not responding to any key presses. I can see the screen and it is very dim with a little circle in the middle that is spinning. I had previously modded my phone with jailbreakme.com. I was having problems with Youtube, so did a restore. I then attempted re-mod using the same jailbreakme.com process. It looked like it worked fine but when I went into Installer, and tried to load Summerboard this started. I've tried holding down the power button but nothing happens. Just a dim screen that I can't turn off, turn on or doing nothing. If I can get this unlocked and restored, I will never mess with modding again. It is just too risky, especially when you have no idea what you're doing.

Late update - I've finally got it restoring. I had to hold down the center button and the power button at the same time and was finally able to get it to power down. Now the restore is working.
Once you jailbreak the phone, it is now supposed to close the TIFF exploit, which is the entry point for the jailbreak. I don't know if that was the problem, but maybe.

I have noticed that my phone is very unstable since the jail break. I think, I like you, am going to restore my phone, and leave it in stock condition. Most of the 3P Apps aren't working correctly on 1.1.1. The 3P Apps worked great on 1.0.2 not true for 1.1.1 though. I'm through with the whole modding thing, to much of a hassle. I do commend and thank the Hackers/Modders that made it all possible and free. I just want a stable phone, that is more important than the Apps right now. It's a shame that Apple is waiting so long to release the SDK. Heck, by the time it comes out and software is developed the iPhone will be old. I guess for now I will just look forward to what iPhone v2 has to offer. I will now have a moment of silence for my 3P Apps before I commence the full restore. Good bye 3P Apps, forever! M

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
interesting that you're turning back. I'm still on 1.0.2 with a completely modded phone but I'm curious about the 1.1.1 update and then the Appsnap things that just came out... You think I should just stay at 1.0.2 or make the jump to 1.1.1? Obviously you don't advise modding the 1.1.1 version, though... Would you go back to 1.0.2 ?

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
interesting that you're turning back. I'm still on 1.0.2 with a completely modded phone but I'm curious about the 1.1.1 update and then the Appsnap things that just came out... You think I should just stay at 1.0.2 or make the jump to 1.1.1? Obviously you don't advise modding the 1.1.1 version, though... Would you go back to 1.0.2 ?
Yes I would go back, I'm just not sure with the new Jailbreak plus 1.1.1 would it be smart to go back. The new jailbreak method and Apps are very, very unstable on 1.1.1.. I would stay at 1.0.2 if I were you...M

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
iPhonian, sorry to read that you're having issues with the modding. I recall when you were having problems with the whole jailbreak process. I cant say that I agree 1.0.2 being better than 1.1.1 because I only had the previous version for 2 days before I decided to mod.

Did you use jailbreak.com or the previous 1 touch method to jailbreak?

(knock on wood) so far I am happy with my modded 1.1.1

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
yes I'm kinda spooked about whole thing right now... My phone seems super solid and super original right now. And with the loud-mod it made a tremendous difference. Too loud, actually. I guess there's really no good reason to upgrade... I'd love to hear one, though...

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
iPhonian, sorry to read that you're having issues with the modding. I recall when you were having problems with the whole jailbreak process. I cant say that I agree 1.0.2 being better than 1.1.1 because I only had the previous version for 2 days before I decided to mod.

Did you use jailbreak.com or the previous 1 touch method to jailbreak?

(knock on wood) so far I am happy with my modded 1.1.1
Thanks for your concern. I used the jailbreak.com method. I noticed lots of problems shortly afterwards. Safari crashes constantly, the Edge is very slow now (used to be fast for me), My volume is much lower, Customize App doesn't work, my phone reboots by itself, the keyboard is either slow or freezes and some other problems I don't remember right now...M

Update: Also Youtube and the stocks stopped working after the Jailbreak..

reas0n

Silver
Jul 1, 2007
Stamford, CT
www.ohitsjustpete.com
im am also happy with my 1.1.1 jailbroken 3p app running iPhone lol..if you do it right i don't think there should be any problems and with all the 1 touch apps out there NOBODY should be using a very unstable Web-based jail break lol thats why we hacked these things in the first place we didn't want to use the crappy web based apps lol any way OJsakilla (witty username btw) i don't think staying at 1.0.2 is neccissary anymore i too once shunned 1.1.1 then after finally giving in i haven't regreted it once

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
im am also happy with my 1.1.1 jailbroken 3p app running iPhone lol..if you do it right i don't think there should be any problems and with all the 1 touch apps out there NOBODY should be using a very unstable Web-based jail break lol thats why we hacked these things in the first place we didn't want to use the crappy web based apps lol any way OJsakilla (witty username btw) i don't think staying at 1.0.2 is neccissary anymore i too once shunned 1.1.1 then after finally giving in i haven't regreted it once
Didn't you read that I did use the 1 Touch method. What could have been messed up then, by a one touch method. I wish I had of went the long way, it probably would have been more stable...M