help iPhone turned off while texting and wont turn back on

fletcher11

Bronze
Dec 21, 2008
hey guys well i was out walking my dog this morning and started texting a friend my iPhone shut off as i was wrighting the text, it wont turn back on i plug it in to pc and it shows a lightning bolt and a tiny amount of batter charge i have been charging it for about 1 hour now and its not moved, i tried to put it in to dfu mode to restore it but when i click restore it shuts down again, its jailbroken so i cant take it to the shop what can i do i have tried holding home and power buttong for a couple of mins and the screen just flashes once and goes back to battery and lightning bolt.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Connect it to your computer with the USB cord and then reboot the computer with it connected. If that doesn't work, try a new USB cord.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
WOW! This same thing happened to me yesterday. I was walking home from the train. I was texting and it shut off. There was nothing but an Apple on the screen. I held down the home key and the power key to do a hard restart and it did not respond. I had adequate battery life, about 83% so that wasn't it. I don't know why it did that. I just kept holding down the hard reboot switches until it did something. It eventually came back on after about three or four minutes of holding the hard reboots.

I think the phone had a little hiccup. I don't know why. It's very frustrating. I noticed after the phone came back to life, some of my icons decided to swap faces. That too is annoying as hell! I had to keep deleting the offending Apps in an effort to get the correct badges back to where they belong. Then I had to reinstall the apps. The first time i saw that the deleting and reinstalling didn't work i did a round of syncing after deleting and that helped except for one app which i had to reboot my computer and then reopen iTunes and then reinstall that app.

That little glitch, hiccup, whatever you want to call it was frustrating as hell!

I am not jailbroken so i know that the problem had nothing to do with jailbreaking.

I think continuously holding down the hard restart keys until the screen turns Apple might help. But it does sound like a power problem for the OP.

After a good charge it might act right. I think the other thing you could do is to actually charge the phone from a wall socket and not the computer. I know its not supposed to matter but a straight jolt of power from the socket might actually help.

Hopefully by now, your phone has charged up and it's working correctly. This is just a frustrating thing all the way around.

Good Luck!

fletcher11

Bronze
Dec 21, 2008
hi thanks for the replys but nothing has worked when ever its plugged in tocharge i get the battery picture with 1 mm of red, and below is a lightning bolt when ever i try and reset it the screen flashes then goes back to battery and lightning bolt at bottom showing the batter is nearly flat, i knwo its not as i charged it the night before it went wrong, somehow earlier i managed to get the phone in dfu mode witht he picture showing connect to iTunes, and restored it, it worked and then i clicked on facebook and it did this all over again, i have only had this iPhone 3gs for about 2 months.

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
You might want to plug it into a wall outlet and hold the power and home buttons one more time while it is plugged in.

fletcher11

Bronze
Dec 21, 2008
i have tried this and nothing, i rang Apple up this morning and they think its a hardware issue, they are going to send me a bag in the post for me to send my phone back to them for a replacement. they were very helpful. apart from when he asked me to take my phone to exeter which is my nearest Apple store which is over 1 hour away from me, but he understood i could not do that and gave me lots of other options. thanks for all your help.

Aug 26, 2009
A very similar thing happened to me yesterday. Monday night I plugged my phone into the charger, which is plugged to the wall, before I went to bed. The phone had over 40% battery when I plugged it in.

Yesterday morning I get up and the only thing I see on the phone is the battery symbol with a small sliver of red, and a lightning bolt under.

When I unplug the phone it shuts off completely, no symbol or anything.

I spent all day yesterday and all day today trying to figure our my problem, with no solutions working. I have found this problem pop up all over the net with many different suggestions to fix it, nothing worked.

Some of the things I tried were the hard reset, plugging it in and restarting the computer. I tried plugging it into a MAC, 2 different PC's. I tried using two different USB cords as well as my car charger. I left it plugged in again all last night too... Nothing has worked.

I tried the above suggestion for hold the rest buttons for five minutes, still no go.

When I plug it in to the PC iTunes nor my computer recognizes it, although the battery symbol does show up. I was able to get it into DFU mode, there iTunes does recognize it and offers to restore the iPhone. However, every tiime I try it attempts to restore then gives me a 1601 error. I tried the restore on a 2nd PC and it too gave the same error.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

If not, and I call Apple to swap this out, am I screwed because it is Jailbroken? Will they even know? Will they send me the replacement before I send this one out, or will they receive it then send out the phone?

By the way it is 3GS with the 3.0.1 OS, and I have had it for 6 weeks.

Help is much appreciated.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
A very similar thing happened to me yesterday. Monday night I plugged my phone into the charger, which is plugged to the wall, before I went to bed. The phone had over 40% battery when I plugged it in.

Yesterday morning I get up and the only thing I see on the phone is the battery symbol with a small sliver of red, and a lightning bolt under.

When I unplug the phone it shuts off completely, no symbol or anything.

I spent all day yesterday and all day today trying to figure our my problem, with no solutions working. I have found this problem pop up all over the net with many different suggestions to fix it, nothing worked.

Some of the things I tried were the hard reset, plugging it in and restarting the computer. I tried plugging it into a MAC, 2 different PC's. I tried using two different USB cords as well as my car charger. I left it plugged in again all last night too... Nothing has worked.

I tried the above suggestion for hold the rest buttons for five minutes, still no go.

When I plug it in to the PC iTunes nor my computer recognizes it, although the battery symbol does show up. I was able to get it into DFU mode, there iTunes does recognize it and offers to restore the iPhone. However, every tiime I try it attempts to restore then gives me a 1601 error. I tried the restore on a 2nd PC and it too gave the same error.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

If not, and I call Apple to swap this out, am I screwed because it is Jailbroken? Will they even know? Will they send me the replacement before I send this one out, or will they receive it then send out the phone?

By the way it is 3GS with the 3.0.1 OS, and I have had it for 6 weeks.

Help is much appreciated.
I'm just gonna say it! What the F*&K is going on with these friggin phones? This is not an isolated incodent at all. It happened to me and you and so many others as you have done your research and found on the net. Are we using our phones too much? Are we loving them too much? I reach for it every morning when I wake up t its lovely alarm chimes. Is this too much?! Dag on it!

If I were you I would call Apple and tell them about the problem you're having. You have 90 days for telephone support and then if you want that to continue you have to buy it. $69 I would not worry about my jailbroken phone because this is just BS!

They have got to start, if they have not already, logging in these complaints and come up with a solution ASAP! Call them and tell them what is going on and that basically you have a brick. I know, over the phone, they hate hearing that! I called with my problem a few weeks ago and the rep on the phone was very concerned when I told her I now had a brick and there was nothing I was doing that was helping and I was about to just turn the thing in and leave AT&T. She offered to send me a new phone in the mail, of course I had to secure a $500 hold on my CC but she assured me I would get a brand new phone not a refurb.

Anyway, call, don't tell them about the JB because the JB did not cause your problem. If the phone is not coming on then what can they do to proove you have JB'd the phone? I don't know. If you send it in there is a possibiilty they can find out if they get it to come on. So in the meantime, just get a rep on the phone and at least have this on your file with a case number that you are having these issues.

Don't be afraid to call and get a case number set up at least. If you have a store near you, the phone rep can help you book an appointment. If your phone is not coming on and you go in and they look your case number up, they should just go ahead and swap it out for a replacement phone what they call "Service Stock". They claim they don't know if it is a referb phone or a brand new one. A rep told me over the phone that the 3Gs is so new now that many stores do not have a stock of "Service Stock" that are referb phones so they just use new ones when people come in with problems that they can not fix. This has a ring of truth to it because I notice that the reps try hard to solve the problem you have with your current phone more readily than just swaping the phone out. But with your situation and your phone, it doesn't come on so they can't get anything out of it. They will probably hook it up to their diagnostic software, they did this to me, and see what from a phone with no power, IDK. Probably nothing. They will use an instrument to look in the headphone jack to see if there is water damage and maybe something with the other end to check for water damage as well. That's what they did to my phone when I went in.

I know I rambled on. I am just so sick of these little friggin issues. I am currently having a new issue with my iTunes and my phone. I almost don't wanna call them about it because I have the oldest PC in the world and I think that has a lot do do with the issue.

Whew! Anyway, Good Luck to you. Don't be afraid to call them and get a case started. You paid for a working phone not a brick.

fletcher11

Bronze
Dec 21, 2008
i phoned them up about mine and they were very helpful they sent me out a pack and i got it this morning, i phoned the company who collect the phone and they could of got it today but i had to leave for work, so they will be picking it up tomorrow, not sure how long all this will take I'm lost without my iPhone hopefully it will only be a couple of days, has anyone ever sent there iPhone off that could tell me roughly how long it all takes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 26, 2009
was your phone jailbroken before you sent it out? I am curious if you will have any hassles due to it. I called today and they were good too, but if I want a replacement phone first they will have to charge me $600 temporarily which unfortunately I do not have... So I am going to have to said my phone out for repairs, which I am hesitant to do as its jailbroken...

Last edited by a moderator:

fletcher11

Bronze
Dec 21, 2008
they are picking my phone up tomorrow, it was jailbroken but somehow not sure how i managed to get it to restore and then it crashed again so no its not jailbroken now, he said something like that to me about leaving a deposite for a new phone is that for a temp iPhone? but i just guessed they would take my phone and not be able fix it and give me a new one the bloke on the phone seemed to think that it was a hardware problem and they wont be able to fix it. im not sure what will happen with a jailbroken iPhone someone more experienced might be able to help you.