Help, I've lost all my Contacts,

JFN

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
Nor Cal
Or I've lost all my pictures ETC, I don't know why I get immediately upset when I see these posts taking up bandwidth, People Please backup your phones, how hard can it be just plug your computer, start iTunes and it's automatic if you desire, if JB get Pkgbackup and do it from your phone. I'm sorry but if you are too lazy to backup then you ought to consider returning your phone and get a day planner. Rant off.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
I don't wear contacts

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
iOS 5 will fix this problem by storing pictures and contacts in the cloud. I see your point and I often point out the importance of this myself, but I wouldn't take it as far as saying they are wasting bandwidth by posting their questions. I feel bad for the people that lose important/vacation pictures because their phone crashes before they get home and get a chance to sync. I always email myself important pictures if I'm not going to be able sync right away. Keeping them stored on only a mobile phone is too risky. Also, although iTunes backups include contacts, backing them up in an email account is not automatic. It can be done through iTunes, but it has to be set up and it doesn't prompt you so I don't feel like it's obvious to everyone. Having them in the iTunes backup is nice, but simply syncing them back on is easier than restoring from backup just to get contacts back.

JFN

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
Nor Cal
iOS 5 will fix this problem by storing pictures and contacts in the cloud. I see your point and I often point out the importance of this myself, but I wouldn't take it as far as saying they are wasting bandwidth by posting their questions. I feel bad for the people that lose important/vacation pictures because their phone crashes before they get home and get a chance to sync. I always email myself important pictures if I'm not going to be able sync right away. Keeping them stored on only a mobile phone is too risky. Also, although iTunes backups include contacts, backing them up in an email account is not automatic. It can be done through iTunes, but it has to be set up and it doesn't prompt you so I don't feel like it's obvious to everyone. Having them in the iTunes backup is nice, but simply syncing them back on is easier than restoring from backup just to get contacts back.
OK you are correct, but maybe a sticky primer on backups would be in order, I would think that anyone with an iPhone would have a laptop or iPad to back up important pictures, so I'll take back the bandwidth part after all that's the purpose of the site.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Probably not worth the trouble now since iOS 5 is right around the corner and this will soon be a non-issue.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Do we have any data on that?
Well, judging from developers who don't read the developer rules and the number of members who need to have forum policy spelled out for them, I'd say it's a pretty good bet that most members will charge in and ask a question before searching for a "sticky."

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Probably not worth the trouble now since iOS 5 is right around the corner and this will soon be a non-issue.
A non-issue for those that update to IOS 5 maybe, but there is still quite a large contingent of users that won't upgrade/update. There are quite a few that aren't even on 4.3.3 or .4 yet. Myself being one of them.
I don't know about making a backup 'sticky' post as like Naps said I also have a feeling that most people won't take the time to read it. They have a problem and they want an instant answer. Don't have the time to research it, etc... It's still gonna be up to the great users here to hold them by the hand and give them the answer(s) they need/want.
My $.02 worth :D

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I know this sounds patronizing, but people generally like to be spoon-fed answers. They don't want to take the time to search or do their own research. It's a major irritant to me, but I realize that's how it is in this day and age of instant gratification.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
A non-issue for those that update to IOS 5 maybe, but there is still quite a large contingent of users that won't upgrade/update. There are quite a few that aren't even on 4.3.3 or .4 yet. Myself being one of them.
I don't know about making a backup 'sticky' post as like Naps said I also have a feeling that most people won't take the time to read it. They have a problem and they want an instant answer. Don't have the time to research it, etc... It's still gonna be up to the great users here to hold them by the hand and give them the answer(s) they need/want.
My $.02 worth :D
Most people will update to 5.x. This isn't a minor 4.3.4-type update. People will want this one. I don't feel like taking the time to make a tutorial for those who refuse to update. Most of them wouldn't read it anyway. I'll just individually spoon-feed them as they arrive. :p

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Well, judging from developers who don't read the developer rules and the number of members who need to have forum policy spelled out for them, I'd say it's a pretty good bet that most members will charge in and ask a question before searching for a "sticky."
Yeah, and just look at all the threads started because one speaker wasn't working on their iPhone. A quick and simple search would have told them the real deal.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Most people will update to 5.x. This isn't a minor 4.3.4-type update. People will want this one. I don't feel like taking the time to make a tutorial for those who refuse to update. Most of them wouldn't read it anyway. I'll just individually spoon-feed them as they arrive. :p
Such is the cross you'll have to bear. ;)

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
I know this sounds patronizing, but people generally like to be spoon-fed answers. They don't want to take the time to search or do their own research. It's a major irritant to me, but I realize that's how it is in this day and age of instant gratification.
Ah, this post has me reminiscing about the horrible old days in 08, 09 and up until March of 10 when it would take me 13 to 15 hours to Restore my iPhone 3G & 3GS when there were iPhone 3G & 3GS problems and a good 3 to 5 hours to do a sync and back up. My PC was an 11 year old relic and it had so many problems but I powered through. If I had problems I would call Apple right away.

I understand your irritation, but don't be too hard on folks, if you can help it. ;) Sometimes if you can get an answer online its GR8! However, I do understand how important it is to do things on your own and find out answers to solutions through the Impecable Customer Service that Apple provides.

Intant Gratification can sometimes = the inability to acquire the skill set of research.
However, Instant Gratification just feels damn good though! :pLOL!

Oct 2, 2009
New Jersey
www.abelgancsos.com
see, i think for phone os's, cloud computer seems ideal for data because usually you have internet access, but it all depends on if it's where all the data is initially or if it acts as a backup. it would be hard to find data on the iPhone if the data is in the cloud and you don't have service. but that's just me.