Help Jailbreaking with ZiPhone

GADeputy

Bronze
Jan 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
I decided to finally jailbreak my iPhone today. Before I do I want to make absolutely sure that I do everything in the correct order.
My iPhone is a 1.1.2 otb that I upgraded to 1.1.3 with iTunes the day the upgrade was released. Other than the standard e-mail setup, favorites added, and a bunch of weblinks added to my homescreen nothing else has been done to it.

I guess my biggest concern is which version of ZiPhone I should use. I know I'm going to use the GUI version but should I use 2.3 or 2.4? I read that 2.4 downgrades the baseband.
What I want to do is have to ability to completely set my phone back to original 1.1.3 if I have to so I'm not sure if 2.4 is the way to go. Opinions?

Now, is the first thing that I need to do is to run iTunes Restore or what? I thought I read somewhere about doing a backup but I can't find a backup section in iTunes. How's that done?

If someone could give me a short little description of what to do in the proper order I'm sure I could muddle my way through.

Thanks. I'm anxiously awaiting someones instructions.

Also, how do I find out what my current baseband is? (whatever that is)

Keagle

Bronze
Feb 2, 2008
Can I add a question? :p If you decide you don't like being jailbroken, will doing a restore turn it completely back to normal or will it brick your iPhone? I've asked this before, but better safe than sorry.

EDIT: About the backup, mine backups automatically every so often when I plug it in. Not sure if its every time, haven't checked, but "Backing Up" appears at the top of iTunes occasionally when I have looked.

GADeputy

Bronze
Jan 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
EDIT: About the backup, mine backups automatically every so often when I plug it in. Not sure if its every time, haven't checked, but "Backing Up" appears at the top of iTunes occasionally when I have looked.
I guess you're right. I just looked in iTunes Preferences and noticed that mine was backed up the last time I ran iTunes. It must do it automatically during a sync.

Now, what exactly does iTunes backup? Does it backup all the web icons/shortcuts I have on my homescreen too?

Keagle

Bronze
Feb 2, 2008
I'd assume everything. But I'll go find out for you - give me two ticks.

EDIT:

I can't actually find anything whatsoever :(. I'm assuming your web clips, notes, photos and music, videos, stuff like that, and perhaps your homescreen arrangement?

Can't promise anything though :(

cpolaris502

Bronze
Nov 15, 2007
Rogers, MN
as far as i know when you restore in iTunes it will bring everything back to normal and working. when i was downgrading after i went to 1.1.3 i had to go back to 1.1.1 and during one of the steps the phone couldnt recognize the sim. i messed up on some part and had to start over again on 1.1.3 and it brought everything back jut fine.

yes, iTunes backs up all of your settings like the contacts, photos, and other things you can customize.

GADeputy

Bronze
Jan 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Well, I went ahead and took the plunge. I used the GUI version of ZiPhone 2.3 and everything went smooth. Actually, I didn't have any problems at all. Every thing works great. I installed BSD, SSH, iAno, Pocket Guitar, Screenshot, Camera Pro, Tap Tap Revolution, Pool, Labyrinth, and a couple of farting and burping apps and everything seems to work fine.

Thanks to everyone here for helping. I doubt it would have been so easy unless I read the many, many useful tips here on this site.

Now to get some sleep so I can load some more stuff while I'm at work tomorrow.;)

You guys rock!

Goallie11

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
did you still have all your info like contacts and stuff after you upgraded or did you have to re-enter them?

GADeputy

Bronze
Jan 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
did you still have all your info like contacts and stuff after you upgraded or did you have to re-enter them?
What I did was use iTunes to do a Restore. This way I had a clean 1.1.3 to start off with. After that I restored all of my original (pre-restore) stuff using iTunes and the backup that it made during the Restore process.
At that point I had all of my contacts, favorites, and everything back again just like they were before I did the Restore.
I'm really not sure if those first 2 steps were needed but I did them anyway. The good thing was that it cleaned out some of the "Other" that iTunes shows.

At that point I closed out iTunes and ran ZiPhone 2.3
It only took 45 seconds for ZiPhone to do it's thing and once it finished my iPhone rebooted and looked exactly the same as it always did except now it had the Installer icon and the Zibri's Blog icon.

It was very simple to do.

The reason I used version 2.3 was that I read that I could use iTunes to do a Restore any time I wanted to and take my phone back to the exact way it was before I jailbroke... with the same baseband, bootloader.... whatever all that crap is.:eek:

***EDIT*** I forgot to mention that after I performed the jailbreak I did have to re-sync with iTunes to get back all of my music, pictures, and movies/videos.

Keagle

Bronze
Feb 2, 2008
Okay so restoring wont matter if you're phone is jailbroken? Because if a new update comes out and it's got stuff I'd like I would like to restore and then update.

GADeputy

Bronze
Jan 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Okay so restoring wont matter if you're phone is jailbroken? Because if a new update comes out and it's got stuff I'd like I would like to restore and then update.
Restoring sets your phone back to factory default. Just like it was when you took it out of the box. If you jailbreak and a new Apple firmware gets released you should do a Restore to set it back to factory defaults BEFORE you upgrade to the new firmware. Then, once someone creates a new jailbreak that will work with the new firmware you can jailbreak it again.... OR you can choose not to upgrade to the new firmware and just leave your phone jailbroke... jailbreaked... jailbroken... whatever.:eek:

yuuphone

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
I just tried to jailbreak using ZiPhone but it did not do anything. I used the Mac version but I only have a Mac OS X Tiger and not Leopard. I restored back to 1.1.3 then used the ZiPhone jailbreaking method but the Installer app is not on my iPhone.

Any help?