help, lock button broke but want to keep jailbreak

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by dubgixxer02, Jun 2, 2013.

1. dubgixxer02

dubgixxer02 New Member

my lock button is acting up, don't work properly and is getting annoying. I am jail-broken and love it don't want to lose it, my ? is if i take it to Apple and they exchange it the possibility of it not being jail-breakable occurs, I have been tempted to try and repair it myself but then i could screw the phone up. any suggestions thanks

2. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Most town have small businesss "wireless" accessory type store. Lots of them do repairs or mods. If u can find one locally, ask about a repair. Just be aware that it will void Apple warranty.

3. dubgixxer02

dubgixxer02 New Member

Thanks, but I really don't want to spend the money! And actually in my local mall there is a mobile phone repair kiosk smack dab infront of a Apple store.

Anyone think Apple would do the repair under warranty if the jail break was unknown about? Any way to be jail broken and look stock with out being in safe mode?

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Apple will swap it out for a new model/refurb rather than repairing it. It is highly unlikely that the new one will have a jailbreakable firmware. Your options are to trade your jailbreak for a working home button, attempt to repair it yourself/have someone else do it, or use a jailbreak tweak (SpotLock) that serves the same purpose as the lock button. I'd choose the latter and have Apple replace the phone on the last day of the warranty period (assuming a new jailbreak doesn't come out before that). You can use SBSettings or Activator to power down.

SpotLock:
    1.jpg

5. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Check out my post/thread here regarding my recent experience taking my JB'd device to an Apple store.

I would not worry about being jail broken and taking it into store for hardware issue.
    Unlikely they will care, or try to blame issue on JB.
    Problem you have, and are aware of, is if they want to swap out under warranty.
    Now if they can fix it in store...

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They don't fix lock buttons; they replace the phone. And if he takes it in jailbroken, he won't be able to use 'Erase All Content And Settings' before handing it over (since that feature is disabled on jailbroken phones). He'll need to restore before taking it in if he chooses that option. Installing SpotLock is a better option, IMO.

7. snowtrooper1966

Gold

I started composing my post before your reply, but you type faster than me....
    As usual, your advice is spot on :D

8. fijiman

fijiman Contributor
    Silver

Try reading the post marked as "Semi Restore" in this section if you still want to restore iPhone but keep jailbreak....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

9. dubgixxer02

dubgixxer02 New Member

Downloaded spot lock this should hold me over still might try to do the repair idk but thanks for the help

10. dubgixxer02

dubgixxer02 New Member

Figured out I can assign locking tasks via activator now double tapping home locks device short hold brings app switcher/auxio up pretty neat I don't have to be on my home screen to lock device was finding that rather annoying again thanks for the help guys/girls