Help Making A Decision

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Oct 14, 2007
hi there...i'm new to the forum and was wondering if someone can give me advice. i really want to buy an iPhone, however, my contract with AT&T is up in January. i don't have a problem resigning with them for another two years, but i was wondering if anyone knew if AT&T gives any sort of a break on purchasing the iPhone to keep you as a customer. or will there be a new version (2nd generation) out by then. thanks much.

firefighterjmar

Bronze
Jul 20, 2007
hi there...i'm new to the forum and was wondering if someone can give me advice. i really want to buy an iPhone, however, my contract with AT&T is up in January. i don't have a problem resigning with them for another two years, but i was wondering if anyone knew if AT&T gives any sort of a break on purchasing the iPhone to keep you as a customer. or will there be a new version (2nd generation) out by then. thanks much.
i was in the same situation about a month and a half ago. as far as i know AT&T does not give any breaks on the iPhone yet. all they do is let you keep your current plan, but you still have to purchase an internet plan. not sure when the 2nd gen iPhone is coming out. there really is no way to tell. you can read on the forums, but its all just rumors. good luck.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
You might want to wait and see what happens with the "unlocking" lawsuit against Apple. I am sure if Apple is forced to reveal the unlock code. AT&T will then have to start making deals on the iPhone to keep customers, just as with any other phone. A lot of people don't agree with the lawsuit. I believe it is great, not for the dollar amount, but to return the consumer's freedom of choice..M

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
IMO, that "unlocking lawsuit" is going to go nowhere. What other manufacture has been sued for not unlocking phones for one carrier to be used on another?

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
IMO, that "unlocking lawsuit" is going to go nowhere. What other manufacture has been sued for not unlocking phones for one carrier to be used on another?
How do you know the lawsuit is not going anywhere, are you the judge presiding over the case? You are right, no other company has been sued over the unlocking issue. You forgot to mention, that no other company has so vigorously (to the point of bricking phones) tried to keep their phones from being unlocked. Apple has a lot of nerve coming into the cellphone market, and trying to change the game. I would bet you any amount of money that you are willing to lose, that Apple WILL be forced to give up the unlock code. Apple has gone to far and the court system is going to stop them, those greedy Bast**ds...M

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
so, other than this "supposed" lawsuit there is nothing holding me back from buying one today?
I can think of something. If you wait until January and you are untitled to a discounted new phone, then you can get the most discounted phone you can get from AT&T, sell it on eBay, make $200 and then use that money towards your iPhone. I made $250 that way selling a Blackberry.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
so, other than this "supposed" lawsuit there is nothing holding me back from buying one today?
No, but there are no discounts, the cost of an 8GB phone and service for two years is going to cost you 2559.76, give or take a few dollars. I guess you have to decide is it worth it. I would choose not to if I had to do it all over again. The phone lacks several features found on even the most basic PDA phones. Also Apple wants to TOTALLY control the user experience, but offers nothing usable in the way of applications. My decision would be to wait and see if some of these issues are straightened out..Just my opinion...M

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
How do you know the lawsuit is not going anywhere, are you the judge presiding over the case? You are right, no other company has been sued over the unlocking issue. You forgot to mention, that no other company has so vigorously (to the point of bricking phones) tried to keep their phones from being unlocked. Apple has a lot of nerve coming into the cellphone market, and trying to change the game. I would bet you any amount of money that you are willing to lose, that Apple WILL be forced to give up the unlock code. Apple has gone to far and the court system is going to stop them, those greedy Bast**ds...M
I don't know- I said "it is my opinion."

And I'm sorry, but I see this differently. Apples firmware update wasn't designed to keep your phone unlocked. In fact, whoever decided to use the update did so at their own risk.

You want Apple to be held responsible because people changed the way the phone operates? Thats like everyone else shouldnt expect to have their unmodified phones updated because those that did will be hurt in the long run.

I could see if the update didn't come with all kinds of warnings prior to hitting "OK!" But it did! Apple didn't brick modified phones; people bought this on themselves.

And since you feel Apple is so at fault, what about the people who provided the method for unlocking in the first place. Why not go after them too; I mean, after all, if it wasn't for them, unlocking the iPhone wouldn't have happened! What responsibility do they carry in the unlocking process? How come the unlock wasn't guaranteed by them to stick?

You have your opinion and I have mine.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
As been mentioned, they don't give any type of discounts for the iPhone for existing customers or to new customers.

I say buy it now- you have 14 days to decide whether or not to keep it. As far as waiting for 2nd generation- if we waited for what we thought or hoped was around the corner, we wouldn't have anything- still waiting.....

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I don't know- I said "it is my opinion."

And I'm sorry, but I see this differently. Apples firmware update wasn't designed to keep your phone unlocked. In fact, whoever decided to use the update did so at their own risk.

You want Apple to be held responsible because people changed the way the phone operates? Thats like everyone else shouldnt expect to have their unmodified phones updated because those that did will be hurt in the long run.

I could see if the update didn't come with all kinds of warnings prior to hitting "OK!" But it did! Apple didn't brick modified phones; people bought this on themselves.

And since you feel Apple is so at fault, what about the people who provided the method for unlocking in the first place. Why not go after them too; I mean, after all, if it wasn't for them, unlocking the iPhone wouldn't have happened! What responsibility do they carry in the unlocking process? How come the unlock wasn't guaranteed by them to stick?

You have your opinion and I have mine.
I am not going to debate this point not one more time. You want Apple to CONTROL YOUR PHONE, I DO NOT. I am sick of explaining this. The OP didn't ask for a debate. I told him what I thought of the phone, hopefully to help his decision. I did not post to debate you or anyone else for the millionth time. I can't believe that people so readily are willing to turn over control of even the smallest things in their life to corporations. You may need someone to think and make decisions for you. I don't! Good Day..M

BTW: The hackers unlock did not brick phones, The update did!

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
I am not going to debate this point not one more time. You want Apple to CONTROL YOUR PHONE, I DO NOT. I am sick of explaining this. The OP didn't ask for a debate. I told him what I thought of the phone, hopefully to help his decision. I did not post to debate you or anyone else for the millionth time. I can't believe that people so readily are willing to turn over control of even the smallest things in their life to corporations. You may need someone to think and make decisions for you. I don't! Good Day..M

BTW: The hackers unlock did not brick phones, The update did!
Not unless you can have the last word. I think you got it twisted; I don't need Apple or you for that matter to make a decision for me!

You sound off on anyone whose opinion in the matter is different than yours. Personally, I didn't ask you to explain a damned thing to me. And I didn't ask you to debate me; you did all that on your own!

So somehow in your quest to defend a lawsuit, I should think and feel as you do? Imagine that......And because I don't, I need someone else to make decisions for me?

You sir turned this into an unnecessary battle. I stick by my opinion as you do yours; but please keep in mind.... I didn't ask you for yours. I stated mine which you seem hell bent on beating up.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Not unless you can have the last word. I think you got it twisted; I don't need Apple or you for that matter to make a decision for me!

You sound off on anyone whose opinion in the matter is different than yours. Personally, I didn't ask you to explain a damned thing to me. And I didn't ask you to debate me; you did all that on your own!

So somehow in your quest to defend a lawsuit, I should think and feel as you do? Imagine that......And because I don't, I need someone else to make decisions for me?

You sir turned this into an unnecessary battle. I stick by my opinion as you do yours; but please keep in mind.... I didn't ask you for yours. I stated mine which you seem hell bent on beating up.
Why didn't you just answer the question of the OP?, instead of your quote and reply to my post. Your reading comprehension leaves something to be desired. I do not attack people who do not think like me. I state my points, you decided to challenge what I said. I clearly stated, just my opinion. If you want to walk around with a boring unmodded phone then that's your decision. Don't try to get me to believe all the bricked phones are the hackers fault. I really like the way you get all angry and start cursing, that really shows maturity. In the future, if you are so sensitive, that you can't stand the reply, then DON'T GET IT STARTED!

Doby45

Silver
Aug 21, 2007
Powder Springs, GA
Why didn't you just answer the question of the OP?, instead of your quote and reply to my post. Your reading comprehension leaves something to be desired. I do not attack people who do not think like me. I state my points, you decided to challenge what I said. I clearly stated, just my opinion. If you want to walk around with a boring unmodded phone then that's your decision. Don't try to get me to believe all the bricked phones are the hackers fault. I really like the way you get all angry and start cursing, that really shows maturity. In the future, if you are so sensitive, that you can't stand the reply, then DON'T GET IT STARTED!
You appear to have a propensity for anger. Much like a school yard bully. I have noticed this in many of your posts. Just an observation and my opinion.