Help me choose. Please.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

masoud90

Bronze
Jun 1, 2007
Hey everybody! I am having a crisis. I knew I wanted an iPhone when it first came out, but then I stopped drooling because i got busy and then there was the mighty iPod Touch. Then I read some negative aspects of the iPod Touch...so now i am stuck between the iPhone and the iPod Touch. I have ALOT of video...but not enough for like iPod Classic, so 16 gigs is perfect...an d since 399.99 can buy you 16gigs of iPod...but only 8Gigs of iPhone, I am a bit throwed away by that...I know that 8 gigs is not going to be enough for me. Having T-Mobile, I am NOT switching to AT&T...but I know there are free iPhone unlocking stuff out there. But what I don't get it, in order to unlock it, do I need to sign up for AT&T to start the phone...and then unlock it? Or can I just do it without ever activating it with AT&T. Also is it a big hassle? I also like the whole email thingy/Camera on the iPhone because I need to check my email often...but I can still do that through regular email. But I also heard with the unlocked iPhone, you can not get Yahoo! Mail Push...is that true because some people are saying it is and others are saying no. The other thing that has threw me off a bit about the iPod Touch is the whole deal with the blacks...I looked at the colors and things, and I do not really care much since it isn't too bad...and some people have said that theirs is not like that (so I might be able to fix it through Apple Service Genius). I also was ticked off by the whole metalic back of the iPod like the older versions...but I am going to get a case anyway so it became less of a big deal. My 2 main turn offs of the iPod is the color problem(which can be fixed most likely), and the back part of it. The iPhone however, the whole unlocking this is a bit turning me off of it because I am not going to have its full features and also that the size is definitely not enough for me. So what should i do? I do not really care about the phone part because I am not too big with high tech phones and such since I believe phones were made to talk to others...But the whole Push mail(which might be available later with applications) thingy is really nice. So what should i do? Please do not respond if you have something against the either of the products. I want an answer from both sides. Thanks everybody!

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Get the iPod Touch.

I think you really answered your own question here:

I do not really care about the phone part because I am not too big with high tech phones and such since I believe phones were made to talk to others...
If you're not willing to switch to AT&T, definitely get the Touch. The whole iPhone unlock thing is going to be cat and mouse game the way I see it especially if you want your phone service to "just work". And even then on T-Mobile you still don't get the killer Visual Voicemail (one of my favorites). There's so many unknowns about the unlock in my opinion... how well it will be supported, whether it will brick your phone after a software update from Apple, etc.

Plus, the touch gives you more capacity for music, videos, etc. If you don't mind carrying 2 devices around (one of the big features for me was having both phone and ipod in one convergence device), that's another factor to consider.

But the whole Push mail(which might be available later with applications) thingy is really nice.
I'd imagine it won't be long until the iPod touch is hacked and the mail/maps/etc parts of the iPhone are dumped over or clones are written for the iPod Touch to do some of same things. IMO whole push e-mail thing is totally overrated anyway unless you really depend upon it for a job or are used to having it with a Blackberry or similar.