Help Me Crack The Code On The Apple Television

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by chris, Dec 10, 2011.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Both Marianne and I have been talking about this rumored Apple Television for weeks now on the podcast. Loving television as much as I do, I'm intrigued by the Steve Jobs quote that he's finally cracked the code as it relates to TV. There has been plenty of speculation, most of which doesn't seem to be anything resembling the code cracking.
    • AppleTV integrated into a TV
    • Programs as apps
    • iTunes Pass
    • Siri
    I'm sure pieces of these things will be part of this mythical Apple Television, but it hardly seems like a revolutionary product. Unless Apple offers something completely radical, I don't see them entering such a competitive market. People will buy and Apple TV for $99. What does it take to have someone buy a $1999 Apple Television.
    How does this work with DVR's, Blu Ray players, Apple TV, the cloud, my computer, TiVo, Hulu, YouTube? What makes it revolutionary?
    Here's the first thing. Facetime. Hardly revolutionary (see Xbox, Logitech, etc.), but having a built in camera for video conferencing via Facetime is a feature that must be part of an Apple Television.
    What else? What would make you camp out and drop $2000 on an Apple Television?

#1 chris, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  2. IllusionEntity

IllusionEntity Evangelist
    Gold

As we all know, Apple will not release a new product unless they "perfect" it. If they do release one people will flock to it because Apple is regarded as "the best". I don't think Apple will fit a camera in the first generation and that will be a second generation feature. If you think about it, the cell phone market is very competitive. But somehow Apple seem to remain top dog. I think that I would get one just to have an all in one deal. I think it will be very sleek, polished and shiny :p Apple have released products into a few markets and sat comfortably on the top of the podium ever since. An iTV would just be their attempt to tackle the TV market.

White iPhone 4S 32GB.
    2011 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz 8GB 15".
    White iPad 2 32GB.
    iPod Nano 16GB 2010.

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.

3. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

-Offers literally everything cable does.
    -universal remote included (to control receivers, other media players, etc). This has to be something more substantial than the current ATV remote. Maybe a dedicated iPod touch with special app and accessory will work.
    -ability to run games, apps, etc.
    -guaranteed product support (i.e. software updates) of at least 6 or 7 years
    -exceptional picture quality.

Those are the first things that come to mind. Personally, I don't see it happening.

4. IllusionEntity

Gold

Can you imagine 2330 PPI? Scrumptious!

White iPhone 4S 32GB.
    White iPad 2 32GB.
    iPod Nano 16GB 2010.

5. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

It would have to be a stellar experience, include Hulu plus, Netflix, podcasts without having to use AirPlay. It would also have to be around $1500-2000 in price because I don't think an Apple tv would be worth a premium price. And even given that I already own a roku for one tv, and have a vizio tv, that i bought last january, which has access to all my video content needs very easily. I wouldn't likely buy one because TVs are expensive and the ones I have work just fine and overall Apple if they release this tv in 2012 I think it's late to the game, and I don't consider myself an early adopter.

6. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

On MacBreak Weekly, it's been suggested that Steve's revelation had to do with replacing the conventional remote with a Siri inspired/powered device or control system.
    YMMV

Any impatience you show will only create more stress.

7. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

• Its integrated DVR can share programs you record through iCloud with your other iDevices. (you select the programs you want to share)
    • I know Apple hates Blu-ray, but... it has a built-in Blu-ray player
    • Built-in Safari and full-featured Internet browsing (this is a given, right?)
    • Something akin to Sony's MotionFlow
    • FaceTime as Chris mentioned above... A must-have feature
    • Stream TV shows to your Macs on the same home network? This would be nice...
    • Shows you caller ID information from iPhones on the same home network when someone calls (automatically pauses the show you're watching..., scene fades out as Caller ID screen fades in)... with on-screen options to ignore call, send to voicemail... (Every aspect of this feature is toggle-able)

:)

8. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

An iPhone/iPod would be the remote/game controller.
    iTunes to rent movies/TV shows cheap/free.
    iCloud upgrade to 50GB free storage for movies, pay to enlarge. OR
    Built-in 300GB storage that serves as a NAS, storage extension to you iCloud capacity.
    Runs iOS.
    Eliminates the need for an amp/receiver.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

9. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

See I just don't see that happening. That would be like expecting an iPod to eliminqte the need for decent headphones.

10. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

I agree but trying to make the case for paying Apple a premium over existing TVs.

Also keep in mind that they won't be making any of the critical components if not any altogether. So a compelling feature set has to be there.

Maybe it'll be like the original Coke, putting something addictive in the air or maybe subliminal messaging to really lock the consumer in.

11. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

The other issue I see here is logistics. Apple stores are designed to sell computers and iPods; the biggest thing they sell is a 27" iMac, and their inventory is probably already packed to the brim. How the heck are they going to stock HDTVs? Delivery from warehouse only?

12. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Our stores are about the size of the Sony stores plus they have space in the back. Plus how many sizes do you expect, maybe 3-5. Apple doesn't have a large SKU count but they do eat a lot of floor space to display 3 products; iPod/iPhone, MBP/MBA, iMac. I think they can find space easily.

13. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

The different sizes aren't the issue, especially for displays if that's what you mean. I'm sure they can display them just fine. I'm talking about keeping them in stock in the back. I doubt they have enough space to stock at least a few dozen 32"+ HDtVs.

14. IllusionEntity

Gold

I agree completely. I have seen "out the back" of my local Apple store. And that was packed to the brim with all iDevices and Macs. A TV is a big item, in a very big box for protection. I think it would be an order in-store for pickup or an order online situation.

White iPhone 4S 32GB.
    White iPad 2 32GB.
    iPod Nano 16GB 2010.

15. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Sounds reasonable. Let's hope we start seeing the Apple store pickup the space beside their locations as a clue to a new product release.