Help me decide....

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
2,839
104
63
So Cal
#1
Ok, I am really considering selling my 4gb on ebay. I am not sure I should but I really would like more space. I love my iPhone and the v2 isn't offering a lot but it would be nice to have extra space. As it is I have to delete movies, etc. to put newer ones on. What do you guys think? Should I?
I also have a crap load of cases I would probably include. I suppose the old cases won't work on the new phone?
What do you think?:eek::confused::(
 
Jul 6, 2007
1,832
7
38
26
Marietta, GA
about.me
#2
Well, I would say you sell it on ebay and get the new one (but don't sell it till after you buy the 3G). I don't know how much it will go for, but its still money. If you cant stand having so little space, then you should upgrade (only if you can afford it obviously) but if its just a tad annoying, I would wait to upgrade.

EDIT: and no the cases wont fit unfortunately =[ but at least it will raise the ebay price =]
 

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
4,571
3
38
Irvine, Ca.
#4
Connie. I'd say sell. Try it on craigslist first, since there are no fees. In my opinion, I'd try to get $250 - $300 for it. Why? Take a look at the prices for iPhones, you don't qualify for an upgrade. To renew, $400 and $500 (still subsidized a little). NO subsidization - $600 and $700. That's madness. I know some people will be dumping for very little, but before you commit to eBay, try craigs. If no one bites, I'd wait for prices to rise a little bit again...
 

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
2,839
104
63
So Cal
#5
Actually I do get to upgrade at the lower price because I bought my phone before July 11, 07. So on my AT&T account it says I am eligible for upgrade.
I have never sold anything on Craig's List maybe I'll try that but I am still undecided. I am giving myself until this weekend to decide.
 

Marianne

Zealot
Moderator
Jul 16, 2007
2,326
29
48
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
#6
i may be biased here since my plan is to do exactly what you're proposing, but i say go for it! i have an 8gb and it's usually enough for me (i like to load movies and tv shows to watch during my commute on the train to and from work) but i know i'm going to really get into the new applications that will be available and 8gb will not be enough. after i get a 16gb iPhone, my 8gb is going up for sale on craigslist first, then ebay if it doesn't sell locally...
 

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
4,571
3
38
Irvine, Ca.
#7
Actually I do get to upgrade at the lower price because I bought my phone before July 11, 07. So on my AT&T account it says I am eligible for upgrade.
I have never sold anything on Craig's List maybe I'll try that but I am still undecided. I am giving myself until this weekend to decide.
No, I know that. I'm saying people who are buying. Not everyone will qualify - making your phone worth more to them.... :cool:
 

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
2,839
104
63
So Cal
#8
Also, just to let you guys know why I'm on the fence about this, is I feel that the v2 is getting the short end of the stick as far as quality of the phone. We paid more for the v1 but we also got a metal back and maybe a better screen than the v2. I have not actually seen or held the v2 in my hands to really judge it but from what we know about the new one is it's cheaper priced and possibly cheaper quality? Plastic, different screen, etc. So this is why I'm not sure. I guess I should probably wait and look at it personally before deciding. But for me quality counts for something. I am not thrilled on having the plastic phone.
 

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
2,839
104
63
So Cal
#9
No, I know that. I'm saying people who are buying. Not everyone will qualify - making your phone worth more to them.... :cool:
Gotcha Ok, sorry, I mis-read. Yes, your right I didn't think about that.
 

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
4,571
3
38
Irvine, Ca.
#10
Also, just to let you guys know why I'm on the fence about this, is I feel that the v2 is getting the short end of the stick as far as quality of the phone. We paid more for the v1 but we also got a metal back and maybe a better screen than the v2. I have not actually seen or held the v2 in my hands to really judge it but from what we know about the new one is it's cheaper priced and possibly cheaper quality? Plastic, different screen, etc. So this is why I'm not sure. I guess I should probably wait and look at it personally before deciding. But for me quality counts for something. I am not thrilled on having the plastic phone.
just wanted to point out that we are getting it subsided. If we were buying a new phone like let year, we'd be paying $100 more.
 

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
5,725
12
38
Louisville, Ky.
#11
If you want a lot more space, I would wait till closer to Christmas. Got a feeling a 32gig is coming out.
But for me, I am holding out til next year when you will see an iPhone like we can't imagine.:cool:
 

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
15,384
1,089
113
DC
#12
i'm in your position too. what i am trying to finagle is to somehow get a 16GB v1, because i am not interested in paying $10/month more for the 3G. My problem is i have Apple care for another year on this one, so i don't think i can just buy one off ebay and transfer the Applecare to it...
 

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
5,725
12
38
Louisville, Ky.
#13
i'm in your position too. what i am trying to finagle is to somehow get a 16GB v1, because i am not interested in paying $10/month more for the 3G. My problem is i have Apple care for another year on this one, so i don't think i can just buy one off ebay and transfer the Applecare to it...
The way I understand Apple care is you can transfer to another devise if AC has not be activated. But once activated, it stays with that device.
 

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
5,725
12
38
Louisville, Ky.
#15
Also, just to let you guys know why I'm on the fence about this, is I feel that the v2 is getting the short end of the stick as far as quality of the phone. We paid more for the v1 but we also got a metal back and maybe a better screen than the v2. I have not actually seen or held the v2 in my hands to really judge it but from what we know about the new one is it's cheaper priced and possibly cheaper quality? Plastic, different screen, etc. So this is why I'm not sure. I guess I should probably wait and look at it personally before deciding. But for me quality counts for something. I am not thrilled on having the plastic phone.
Keep in mind too that the V2 is a subsidized phone. This means that if another phone comes out next year and it is also subsidized(which I'm sure it will be), you may not be eligible for the subsidized price because of the contract of the V2.
 

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
4,571
3
38
Irvine, Ca.
#16
Keep in mind too that the V2 is a subsidized phone. This means that if another phone comes out next year and it is also subsidized(which I'm sure it will be), you may not be eligible for the subsidized price because of the contract of the V2.
Unless they do the same thing as they are doing now.... right?
 

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
15,384
1,089
113
DC
#17
yeah, the problem is my dumb ass activated it last year... i guess it's worth a shot to go to an Apple store before the 11th to ask them about it...
 

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
5,725
12
38
Louisville, Ky.
#18
Unless they do the same thing as they are doing now.... right?
Not sure I understand. The V1 was not subsidized so ATT is letting all V1 owners upgrade regardless of length of contract. Normally you have to be 18 mos. into a contract to upgrade to another subsidized phone.
 

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
4,571
3
38
Irvine, Ca.
#19
Not sure I understand. The V1 was not subsidized so ATT is letting all V1 owners upgrade regardless of length of contract. Normally you have to be 18 mos. into a contract to upgrade to another subsidized phone.
yes. I guess that's true. Oh well. Such is life.
 

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
15,384
1,089
113
DC
#20
^^^ and yet another reason why i feel good about not upgrading.