Help me fix my assorted WiFi issues

HUNTER1

Bronze
May 28, 2009
When I turn on my phone sometimes it shows a wi-fi option to connect or join, I guess the names are wi-fi signals. I'm very stupid with this thing. When I hit connect it ask for a password but I don't want to hit the JOIN button, not sure what it is. I just press cancel and I'm connected anyway. What is that mean, and should I join? thanks

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Basically when you it prompts you for the password, you obviously add the correct PW then when you tap JOIN, it connects you to that individual wifi network.

Which will give you the ability to access to the intenet (as long as it's got a valid internet connection)

Tapping join will not do anything to your phone. If it worries you, turn it off in settings.

HUNTER1

Bronze
May 28, 2009
Do you join them or just turn off the settings?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
You can do a couple of things to avoid this. There is an option to "ask before joining" and you can toggle that on or off. You can also just turn the WiFi off so you don't have to worry about declining the network each time there is one within range. I just keep WiFi off until I need it but I still have "ask to join" enabled so I can choose the connection I want.

HUNTER1

Bronze
May 28, 2009
Is it beneficial to join them?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008

It's totally your decision. Joining a wireless network through your phone allows you to surf the web a lot more quickly (faster internet connection), you can download apps over 10mb from the app store. Your phone updates things like the weather/stocks etc more quickly.

Google it..

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
If you have a WiFi network at home, work, etc, then yes it's beneficial to join it because you'll get faster speeds on WiFi than you will on 3G. If your neighbors networks are popping up, and they are password protected, you can't join them.

HUNTER1

Bronze
May 28, 2009
I guess I will join the one's that will allow me. I think I have wi-fi at home because my TV app works and it's wi-fi.

HUNTER1

Bronze
May 28, 2009
I see that wi-fi here sign mostly on sidewalk cafe. I guess I can do what you said, thanks

HUNTER1

Bronze
May 28, 2009
I normally have wi fi at home and somehow this morning it connects then goes away. What would cause that? And also, is it better to have it on edge network than 3G to save baterry? Thanks

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
The Wifi I can't explain, what Firmware are you on?

You will reduce your battery usage by turning 3G off on your phone. There are other things you can turn off as well to help with battery usage. Turn off Auto-Brightness and Location Services (unless you need them of course).

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I normally have wi fi at home and somehow this morning it connects then goes away. What would cause that? And also, is it better to have it on edge network than 3G to save baterry? Thanks
Things to try:
1)connect, and in WiFi Settings, click the little blue arrow to the right of the connection and select "Forget this Network". Reboot the phone and try again.
2) Go into Settings, General, Reset, and select reset network Settings and try again.
3) Reboot the WiFi Router/access point.

And yes, edge is better than 3G for battery conservation

primsa

Bronze
Dec 12, 2007
Rockford Il.
My WiFi did the same after installing 3.1.2.
I changed my wireless router to display my SSID and now it works fine.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
The only reason I asked what FW you were on as I know there were big issues with wifi connection stability when 3.0 first came out.

Do as Hawk suggested, that seems like the only viable route at present.

@ juls1585- EDGE is no stronger than what it always has been. It's exactly the same ;) It may just appear to be better. I think your obsessed with battery usage.

HUNTER1

Bronze
May 28, 2009
I did the reset on the phone and on the router and it works now. I also switched to EDGE and turned off 3G, thanks guys

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Julie, you need a battery backup. I recommend the IMP500. About $60 on Amazon.
It's big and clunky, but can charge your phone about 4 times before you need to recharge the backup.
I carry one in my backpack at all times.