Help me "restore" my iPhone please...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
iPhone not syncing with iTunes.

ok, so here's my problem. iTunes does not recognize my iPhone while it is connected to my computer. It charges, but iTunes does not autostart, and if i open iTunes, the phone does not appear.

Things i have tried:
-I restored my phone (had been running a few mods) - no luck
-tried every usb port on my computer (3 of them) - no luck
-went to the Apple store and it was recognized on two of their iMacs AND their windows PC without a problem. I even tried this with my own cable to check if it was bad - no luck
-Installed AND reinstalled latest version of iTunes

Also, as someone has already mentioned in this thread, i will try installing an older version of iTunes... but where can i get one of these? Also, if this is the solution, i don't want to get stuck using an out-of-date version.

Anyway, are there any more suggestions out there?

Thanks for any help.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Restore it!

edit do a hard reset, sometimes you need to sht down the computer and restart, and sync again.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i was under the impression that i have to restore it from iTunes... but my phone is not being recognized by iTunes...

maybe i'm just being a noob...

EDIT: Sorry, i thought you meant hard "restore"... I have tried resetting it a few times... no luck. I have also tried restarting my computer and using different USB ports.

micirv7899

Bronze
Sep 19, 2007
Newcastle, UK
Try uninstalling iTunes and installing an earlier version, thats what i did and it picked it up and restored it straight away. Hold down the power button and the home button together at the start up the grey Apple and you shold get the yellow triangle asking you to connect to iTunes. Connect it and select restore in iTunes. It should restore it fully. If it has been unlocked it should remain unlocked, although you may have to activate it again.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
ok, so i tried reinstalling iTunes (same version... i don't have an older one). Didn't change anything, so i took it to the Apple store and my phone worked with my chord on two of their iMacs AND the Windows laptop they had there. While it was connected to their iTunes i figured i might as well restore it to see if that helped, but it didn't.

So... the chord is fine... and none of my mods are messing it up because i restored it...

where can i get an older version of iTunes?

Sep 15, 2007
Here's a suggestion

did you CHECK the box that says "Automatically sync when this iPhone is connected"

i don't it might sound like "DUH" but.. just a suggestion
cause you didn't mention anything about that in your first post.

EDIT:
and if i open iTunes, the phone does not appear.
oh. well that changes everything...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yeah, i'm at my wit's end... i am currently re-downloading the latest iTunes... we'll see how that goes.

yeah, i'm at my wit's end... i am currently re-downloading the latest iTunes... we'll see how that goes.
Are you, by chance, running Vista?

If so.. Here's a few things I did to get things going.

1) Open iTunes and connect iPhone.

2) Right click on the taskbar and open up task manager. Go to the services tab. Highlight "Applemobileservice" and "ipod helper" and click "end process"

3) Undock phone, count to three and plug it back in. See if it shows up now.

If it doesn't....

Go back into task manager and find Applemobileservice again. Right click on it this time and find the "compatibility" tab. Click the dropdown box and click the "Use Windows XP compatibility mode" choice. Click ok, get out of task manager, shut down iTunes, and try the whole thing again.

That seemed to work for me. Of course, if you're on a Mac... None of this means squat to ya. In that case, I would suggest a hissy fit, follwed by some colorful langauge. ;)

Good luck!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Are you, by chance, running Vista?

If so.. Here's a few things I did to get things going.

1) Open iTunes and connect iPhone.

2) Right click on the taskbar and open up task manager. Go to the services tab. Highlight "Applemobileservice" and "ipod helper" and click "end process"

3) Undock phone, count to three and plug it back in. See if it shows up now.

If it doesn't....

Go back into task manager and find Applemobileservice again. Right click on it this time and find the "compatibility" tab. Click the dropdown box and click the "Use Windows XP compatibility mode" choice. Click ok, get out of task manager, shut down iTunes, and try the whole thing again.

That seemed to work for me. Of course, if you're on a Mac... None of this means squat to ya. In that case, I would suggest a hissy fit, follwed by some colorful langauge. ;)

Good luck!
I'm on xp... thanks for the suggestions, though. I tried ending all of the Apple related processes, but still no luck.

The new iTunes didn't help either.

I am now getting REALLY annoyed.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
pardon the internet lingo, but...

OMG I GOT IT TO WORK!

After all that, i finally visited the Apple support forum, and ran across someone there who was having a similar problem, and one of the things he tried was running services.msc and checking the status of the "Apple mobile device" process. Mine was somehow set to be disabled on startup... so i enabled it, and my phone is syncing as i am typing this. I'll let you guys know if i have any problems.

**wipes brow** Phew!

EDIT:

so things are working normally again, if anyone finds this thread in the future, here is how i fixed the problem:

1) open "run" from the start menu, and run "services.msc".
2) find "Apple Mobile Device".
3) In the "status" column it will tell you if the process is started or not, and the "startup type" column will tell you if the process will start automatically when windows starts. The goal here is to set the status to "started" and the startup type to "automatic".
4)To do this right click on this process, and then click on "Properties"
5) In the "general" tab find the "startup type" drop-down arrow menu and make sure "automatic" is selected. Select it if it is not.
6) Also in the general tab check the "service status". If it does not say "started" then click the start button.
7) at the bottom of the properties window click "apply"
That did it for me, and i hope it helps someone else out!

cccablecompany

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
No luck for me. iTunes still freeze when iPhone is connected.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
sorry, man. I hope you figure it out.