Help Me! Selling iPhone tonight

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
Hey folks, i know i should know better, but i don't...basically, i'm selling my iPhone 3G tonight and won't have an opportunity to sync again to my laptop. i did a full sync last night when i updated to 3.0. important to mention that i'll be using my old V1 while i wait to buy the 3G S...

can I:

1. remove the sim card from my 3G.
2. clear all data through settings menu - erase all content and settings.
3. be confident that it's clear of all info.
4. sync my old V1 to iTunes and retrieve all phone numbers and email addresses?

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
1. remove the sim card from my 3G.
Yes. Do not ship your sim card with the phone.

2. clear all data through settings menu - erase all content and settings.
3. be confident that it's clear of all info.
Yes, but you can also do a restore to a 'New Phone'.

4. sync my old V1 to iTunes and retrieve all phone numbers and email addresses?
Yes.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Sounds like the right plan. Basically what I did when I sold a pair of V1's last year. When you "erase all content and settings", it puts a fresh firmware on the phone. All info should be clear.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Hey Coasts - probably much more than you (or most of us) want to know - but a restore does not securely wipe an iPhone of all data.

As in - a casual / typical iPhone user will not be able to find any of your old data - but a skilled hacker / person who knows about iPhone forensics would.

An acceptable risk for the vast majority of us probably. If you want to scare yourself on this sort of subject, take a look at this dude's site - he's one of the leading sources of info about the iPhone and security:

http://www.zdziarski.com/

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
Help Me: Part II or Nothing is Easy...

so, did the deal...my 3G is on a flight to Surabaya. came home to activate my V1 and, when i got to the "change data plan" screen, i hesitated...if i continue, i will have effectively changed my contract, thus restarting my 2 years...what happens next week when i go to buy 3GS? iPhone support couldn't answer my question and ATT support is shut down for the night...

damn. i'm without telephone.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Help Me: Part II or Nothing is Easy...

so, did the deal...my 3G is on a flight to Surabaya. came home to activate my V1 and, when i got to the "change data plan" screen, i hesitated...if i continue, i will have effectively changed my contract, thus restarting my 2 years...what happens next week when i go to buy 3GS? iPhone support couldn't answer my question and ATT support is shut down for the night...

damn. i'm without telephone.
Oh, ouch - I could be wrong, but I think hold up, don't do anything that affects contact until it is coupled with a 3GS purchase. It would be such an awful shame to find you're eligible for whatever upgrade price and then have it blown away by something you do tonight.

I'd wait until you can be placing your 3GS order before altering anything contractual ...