Help me understand Location Services

craiggiarc

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 20, 2009
Can someone help me with understanding Location Services.

When I'm connected to my work wi-fi connection it locates me, all be it in St Louis, I'm in Oklahoma but our head office is in St Louis.

When I'm connected to my home wifi connection, or to my towns public wifi network it says that my location can't be determined.

Does the wi-fi have to be registered somewhere for Apple to know about it?

Thanks

Craig

talon90

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 17, 2009
The location that the IP is registered to is what will show up using wifi and location services. These accounts where this work will be using public addressable IP's. When you are on your home network it is likely using a private IPv4 IP address (192.168.xxx.xxx series for example) which are not internet routable, they are for use in network sharing. Pretty much every household with a router setup at home is using this family of addresses.

Your router will actually have a valid public IP address that it receives from your internet provider via your modem but that address is translated and shared. Once it gets to the router it sends out information to the various IP addresses that it assigns and then uses those to know which machine on the internal network that the information or request came from. When the information leaves your router it goes out to the internet with the valid IP address assigned by your provider.

If you could make your iPhone (via the router) see the actual IP address (which will be stored in the router config page) you would be able to use location services at home.

Photom

Jan 23, 2009
My address from home shows up for Massachusetts where I use to live, even though I'm now in Upstate New York?