Help me understand WinterBoard

Discussion in 'Cydia Apps' started by Zanthe, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

So I got my phone jail broken...

Now I got Winterboard on it.

So when I go to Select Themes in WinteBoard there are all sorts of things there. Like, White Icon Labels, User Wallpaper, Transparent Dock etc. --- Already there.

If I check one and then respring it doesn't seem to do anytihng. What should I be looking for...how do these things that are already there in WinterBoard work?

#Lost

2. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Winterboard has a few built in tweaks. You can see I use two...
    Some of them don't really matter anymore, like user lock background. Old iOS did not allow that, but its been stock for a while (4.0?) to let you have separate photos for lock/home.
    Once you install Cydia tweaks that are applied through Winterboard, they will appear and be selectable:

u7y3yne6.jpg

agusamab.jpg

Check off items you want to enable, respring and presto, they are enabled.
    One caveat: I have in recent past had items that show up, but do not enable even if checked.
    Read yesterday here that may have something to do with the "sort order". You can create a hierarchy by dragging items to the top, but I have not verified.....

3. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Thanks. that makes some sense now.

Do some of the stock tweaks only work on new themes? Like, for instance, the Transparent Dock? I checked that and didn't see any difference on my dock but it is stock right now.

4. snowtrooper1966

Gold

It should work without any themes applied.
    That has been an issue in my experience with Winterboard, kind of hit or miss, but it could have something to do with the hierarchical nature of Winerboard I was reminded of yesterday.
    Until very recently, IIRC, Winterboard had not been updated in a while so I attributed those anomalies to that.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Apple often changes the file names and location with each new big firmware update (5.0, 6.0 etc.). Because of this, a transparent dock that was made for 4.x might only work on 4.x. To further complicate things, the developers doen't always add the compatible firmware version their tweaks file name because compatibility with future firmware isn't a concern when they make them. Long story short - all of the default listings in WinterBoard do not work. For example, last year we had to use "No Icon Labels for iOS 5" from Cydia because the hidden icon labels that came with WinterBoard didn't work since they were made for 4.x. Of course, you can also hide them with Springtomize or Shrink, but my point is that all the default options in WinterBoard don't work on every firmware.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Mindi >>> Guru

Thank you.

7. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Winterboard has also just been updated to fix the vnode bug which was causing a few issues for themers and what not.

8. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

I've found that some themes/tweaks in Winterboard do need to be at the top of the list. You can change the order by dragging the far right "list-like" thingy up and down to position it. Then like Europa said, just check it and respring.
    (I just did the whole update to 6.1.2, then restored from the backup I did just before. I then re-jailbroke my phone and loaded Pkgbackup and did a restore from my backup in dropbox. Worked like a charm. Everything is right back where it belonged) I did have an issue with a email account that kept giving me "wrong password" problems but I deleted the account and re-added it, now it works fine. So much fun :)

9. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

The OP has discontinued jailbreaking, but the info is still good.

10. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

The OP is dumb as a box of rocks. #bummer

11. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

Nah. It's not for everybody. You have to enjoy tinkering. Otherwise, no point.