Help Meeeeee....

Sep 7, 2007
Sorry for the noob question, but I guess I ought to be pardoned... I live in India and thus don't have much info on the question I am asking... So I hope someone out there is gonna help me out.

The thing is, I am planning to have my cousin buy a 8GB iPhone and send it to me here. I then plan to unlock the iPhone in India and use it with the local network.

My first question is, when you buy the iPhone from the Apple store, how much do you have to pay? Do I just pay for the iPhone i.e 399 USD (the new reduced price) or do I have to pay something for the contract with AT&T too? because, that is completely useless for me.

If I have to pay something else apart from the iPhone price, how do I escape that? Because I just want the iPhone.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
Sorry for the noob question, but I guess I ought to be pardoned... I live in India and thus don't have much info on the question I am asking... So I hope someone out there is gonna help me out.

The thing is, I am planning to have my cousin buy a 8GB iPhone and send it to me here. I then plan to unlock the iPhone in India and use it with the local network.

My first question is, when you buy the iPhone from the Apple store, how much do you have to pay? Do I just pay for the iPhone i.e 399 USD (the new reduced price) or do I have to pay something for the contract with AT&T too? because, that is completely useless for me.

If I have to pay something else apart from the iPhone price, how do I escape that? Because I just want the iPhone.

First do not post multiple topics of the same questions.

Second, you pay the MSRP plus sales tax and that is it.

Sep 7, 2007
sorry, but wasn't sure which topic is right to post my question... and thanks for your help... but I was wondering, as it is necessary to provide your SSN while buying the iPhone, do they store it? If you don't activate the iPhone through the 'legal method' and pay money to AT&T will the person buying the iPhone be into any trouble? Cant a person just buy the iPhone and decide to keep it just as it is?

htech

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
You can just go to an att store and purchase the iPhone. You don't have to sign up for a contract or give them any personal information. iTunes actually activates the phone and that's where you would put your ssn. So if you don't activate and hack it then you will be ok. You could actually buy an iPhone and never open it and you wouldn't get in trouble. I just bought one through Apple.com and I didn't have to give anything other than my credit card.

sorry, but wasn't sure which topic is right to post my question... and thanks for your help... but I was wondering, as it is necessary to provide your SSN while buying the iPhone, do they store it? If you don't activate the iPhone through the 'legal method' and pay money to AT&T will the person buying the iPhone be into any trouble? Cant a person just buy the iPhone and decide to keep it just as it is?

Sep 7, 2007
hey htech... first real helpful reply... thank you buddy... gonna buy one for me right away... this site should probabaly have a forum for discussing iPhone hacks.. gizmodo just released a video of the iPhonesimfree software unlock. they are starting to ship out the software to resellers. can you please let me know where is it available in america?

htech

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Your welcome! The iPhonesimfree site doesn't have any reseller info yet and a quick google search I couldn't find any authorized resellers. However, I'm sure in the coming days there will be a lot more info on this and resellers advertising. You might want to check out ebay...there could be some on there just need to be careful so you don't get ripped off. hacktheiPhone.com if you haven't been there has a lot of walk throughs.

hey htech... first real helpful reply... thank you buddy... gonna buy one for me right away... this site should probabaly have a forum for discussing iPhone hacks.. gizmodo just released a video of the iPhonesimfree software unlock. they are starting to ship out the software to resellers. can you please let me know where is it available in america?