Help, my 3GS is stuck on zoom!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Aug 22, 2007
DFW, TEXAS
This started earlier today. It appears that some how the zoom is stuck on my 3gs. Now everything is zoomed in. I can only see the top upper right half of the page. It does scroll to the left if i touch and hold the left side of the screen, same as touching the bottom and top of the screen. i tried the holding down the power button to restart. i also tried the the holding down of the power button and the home button to no avail. i tried to take pictures of what's on my screen, but the picture turn out fine. Any suggestion is much appreciated. FYI i haven't downloaded the new update yet.

Thanks again,

ernie

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
Only reason I discovered it right away is because I was looking for a way to enlarge the dang SMS text. I can hardly read it without my glasses so the zoom comes in handy on the fly.

martha783

Nov 16, 2009
stuck in zoom solution

Thought I'd offer an alternative solution for others who stumble upon this thread when their iPhone randomly activates zoom for everything (and triple tapping does NOT work). Trying to navigate the menu is zoom is VERY difficult.

I connected my iPhone, went into iTunes and on the main tab for my iPhone clicked "Universal settings." Disabled zoom there and...voila, no more automatic zoom on the iPhone. Why in the HECK would anyone want their iPhone constantly zoomed? It's useless!

rojocrandall

Bronze
Mar 2, 2009
Thought I'd offer an alternative solution for others who stumble upon this thread when their iPhone randomly activates zoom for everything (and triple tapping does NOT work). Trying to navigate the menu is zoom is VERY difficult.

I connected my iPhone, went into iTunes and on the main tab for my iPhone clicked "Universal settings." Disabled zoom there and...voila, no more automatic zoom on the iPhone. Why in the HECK would anyone want their iPhone constantly zoomed? It's useless!
Are iPhones actually randomly zooming? Or are people inadvertently triple-tapping? Mine has never zoomed without me explicitly triggering it.

martha783

Nov 16, 2009
iPhone Zoom

Yes, I can assure you, we are not just idiots...there is actually a type of "crash" where the iPhone gets stuck in "universal zoom" and can only be taken out by the fixes described above. Mine started completely randomly when the alarm went off this morning. Restarting the iPhone only causes it to jump bag into zoom as soon as the bootup is finished. Tapping is not the cause nor the solution. I have seen multiple cases of this described throughout various forums. It never happened on my 3G and this is the first occurrence on my 3GS so perhaps it is somewhat rare.

hobagasus

Apr 2, 2010
Thank You sooo very much! I can't tell you how much time I've wasted (and my husband tried too) trying to undo the zoom of doom on my iPhone. You saved me several hours in advance! I'm just not sure who could really use that feature, and I'm a handicapped person, but seems useless to me!

Happy Easter and thanks again!

rojocrandall

Bronze
Mar 2, 2009
I use this feature daily. For those of us who do not have eagle vision, it is very helpful to be able to zoom in at those times I happen to not have my glasses on hand.

Kathie63

Bronze
Mar 15, 2009
Wisconsin
That happened to me too and I could do nothing with it! I got home and went to restore and iTunes updated it so there went my jailbreak! I was really ticked off! Now I have NO jb and it sucks! Hopefully somehow someone comes up with a jb for 3.1.3 05.12.01, I am going to sell it when the new iPhone comes out in June and would get more if it is jb and unlocked.

rojocrandall

Bronze
Mar 2, 2009
Kathie63 - that utterly sucks.
People can't be so quick to restore without first searching for solutions.
In the future, hit this forum first before doing anything...it has saved me many times...