Help! My contacts are being duplicated

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by oab, Oct 5, 2007.

1. oab

oab New Member
    Bronze

Ever since I upgraded iTunes to 7.4.3.1 and installed the iPhone 1.1.1 update, whenever I sync, my contacts are duplicated both in the phone and Outlook Express. After this first happened, I deleted all of the duplicates both in the phone and Outlook Express. Just synched a while ago to update my iTunes songs and the same thing happened again. This is getting bothersome because it takes over an hour to delete all of the duplicates. Also, it's really strange because not all of the contacts are duplicated, only about 80%, and there is no pattern, rime or reason for the order of duplication. Does anyone have a solution for this problem?
    Thanks much!

2. 420greg

420greg New Member
    Silver

This was happening to me and this is how I fixed it.

Make sure your contacts on your computer are clean with no dupes.

Do not connect your iPhone yet.

Open iTunes and click preferences.
    Click the iPhone tab.
    Check 'disable auto-syncing on all iPhones'

Connect your iPhone.

Go to the info tab and scroll to the bottom.
    Check 'contacts' under 'replace information on this phone'.

Sync.

That should fix.

Remember to un-check this box before your next sync or you will lose any contacts that you added to the phone manually.

3. oab

oab New Member
    Bronze

Thanks for the help. Everything you suggested seemed logical. I deleted the duplicate contacts from Outlook Express, then checked 'replace the information on this phone' box--synched the phone and guess what? I now have triplicate entries on both the iPhone and Outlook Express. Wondering what is causing this to happen.

4. oab

oab New Member
    Bronze

Update:

I removed all of the duplicates on my iPhone then deleted all of the contacts on Outlook Express, synched and all is well. However, am reluctant to sync again to find out if I continue to have the duplication problem. In the future, I guess I could just delete all of my contacts in Outlook Express prior to synching the iPhone as I never add any entries via the PC.

5. Tom Locati

Tom Locati New Member

I have duplicates ?X%!

I'm experinacing the exact same thing - had new phones and hours with iPhone reps - no one has the answer as to why or what is causing these duplications when syncing - exrteemly frustrating......any other suggestions - how did you resolve?

6. hitrho5

hitrho5 Member
    Bronze

1.1.1 is an update? i thought it was the first software

7. oab

oab New Member
    Bronze

Have not resolved as yet. I continue to delete all of the contacts from outlook express then sync. This only works if you do not add contacts to outlook express which I don't.

8. mrmachead

mrmachead New Member

Duplicate Contacts

Couple of things to check. In Entourage preferences, there is a setting for syncing. All syncing occurs from Entourage through the sync manager to the Address book.
    In the new version of the iPhone software, (settings/email) the Outlook accounts for email have separate settings for syncing. If both of these are set to sync... Ooops. Your Exchange server is forcing sync of your contacts and your Entourage is syncing your contacts.
    This equals duplicate contacts. Turn off one or the other.
    ++ Tip: You can turn off sync in Entourage. Then delete your address book file (users/"your account"/Library/Application Support/AddressBook/AddressBook.data).
    Launch Address Book. (Creates New File)
    Quit Address Book.
    Launch Entourage
    Turn Sync back on and have Entourage over write data in Sync manager.
    Sync Phone

Hope this helps.
    Tim

9. John2009

John2009 New Member

10. Beanyboy

Beanyboy New Member

iPod Touch/ iPhone Duplicate, Triplicate Outlook Contacts

Here is a solution to the problem where contacts are duplicated or triplicated on your iPod touch (probably the same for iPhones too)

I am running iTunes 9.2 on Windows7 with an 8GB iPod touch running the latest firmware v4. All of a sudden my contacts on the iPod touch were being duplicated or triplicated. I created an empty contacts directory in Outlook and using iTunes advanced tool for replacing iPod data I synced/emptied the iPod touch of contacts. I then changed back to the main contacts directory in Outlook 2003 where there were NO duplicates or triplicates. It synched and I again had duplicates and triplicates... very frustrating.

The solution was to simply copy and paste ALL the contacts in my original main outlook contacts folder to the new empty folder and then sync to that and I was back to single instance contacts...

So my conclusion is that the relationship of iTunes to my original main contacts folder in Outlook was corrupted in some way.

And finally a piece of advice for everyone.. always keep a complete backup copy of your contacts in Outlook, ie frequently copy and paste your entire master contact list to a new contact folder called backup or similar. This way if your sync ever goes wrong and you end up with dupes and triplicates or even wiping out the whole directory of which I have seen happen.. you are protected with your backup that is not part of the sync process..
    And finally, for those of you using the basic Outlook Express... do yourselves a favour and upgrade to the full Outlook program, it is a far far better program and lends itself to managing your data properly. There is one single pst file that is easy to backup and contains ALL your emails, calendar, contacts, notes etc... unlike Outlook Express which is a nightmare to backup

11. acliff

acliff New Member

I have tried a couple of apps for cleaning up contacts, I recommend PhoneBook CleanMaster. Try it out, it is a lot simpler than other apps and helps clean out junks and duplicates. I really like it's interface, it gives you the option for reviewing the detailed information before deleting or merging. I also believe PhoneBook Plus can help clean out groups.

12. iNurse

iNurse Contributor
    Silver

Welcome acliff those posts were from a couple of years ago....

Glad you are here :) welc:)me!