help my friend out

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
he got a broken iPhone(for free because this girl is R I C H) and now he needs help. he is trying to jailbreak it then unlock it so he can use it with t-mobile. i don't really have time to help but maybe you guys can see the problem quickly.

this is what he sent me on facebook.

ok so i started off with the wrong firmware
(i knew this because when i put the phone in recovery mode it showed an ipod plug and the iTunes symbol not the yellow triangle)
so i did a tutorial on how to downgrade firmware and get back to original firmware
that worked and i got the yellow triangle in the recovery mode
then i used iTunes to load the 1.0.2 firmware on the phone
still no problems
then i close iTunes and run apptap
it downloaded the stuff it has to download and gets all the way to the end (where a black screen pops up to let you know what the program is doing with your iPhone) and when it gets to that part it says "SEND TO iPhone FAILED" and it stops letting me do anything
all i can do is exit out of all the windows

i've tried it a few times but every time it fails on the first step of "sending to iPhone"

so that's it from first to last

this picture doesn't do it justice but this is how broke it is lol.

pic taken with iPhone XD and yes that is actually glass missing from the screen AND the touchscreen works perfect.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
he got a broken iPhone(for free because this girl is R I C H) and now he needs help. he is trying to jailbreak it then unlock it so he can use it with t-mobile. i don't really have time to help but maybe you guys can see the problem quickly.

this is what he sent me on facebook.

ok so i started off with the wrong firmware
(i knew this because when i put the phone in recovery mode it showed an ipod plug and the iTunes symbol not the yellow triangle)
so i did a tutorial on how to downgrade firmware and get back to original firmware
that worked and i got the yellow triangle in the recovery mode
then i used iTunes to load the 1.0.2 firmware on the phone
still no problems
then i close iTunes and run apptap
it downloaded the stuff it has to download and gets all the way to the end (where a black screen pops up to let you know what the program is doing with your iPhone) and when it gets to that part it says "SEND TO iPhone FAILED" and it stops letting me do anything
all i can do is exit out of all the windows

i've tried it a few times but every time it fails on the first step of "sending to iPhone"

so that's it from first to last

this picture doesn't do it justice but this is how broke it is lol.

pic taken with iPhone XD and yes that is actually glass missing from the screen AND the touchscreen works perfect.
If your friend had 1.1.1 on his/her phone, then downgraded to 1.0.2 the baseband stays in upgraded status. The unlocking procedure has now bricked the phone. Upgrading to 1.1.1 would brick the phone, was widely publicized . The best your friend can do now is Google, How To Unbrick an iPhone, and follow the procedures on one of the many sites, that offer a solution to unbricking. Good Luck, I can't believe anyone would try to unlock a 1.1.1 phone, after all that has been written about the bricking thing...M

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
If your friend had 1.1.1 on his/her phone, then downgraded to 1.0.2 the baseband stays in upgraded status. The unlocking procedure has now bricked the phone. Upgrading to 1.1.1 would brick the phone, was widely publicized . The best your friend can do now is Google, How To Unbrick an iPhone, and follow the procedures on one of the many sites, that offer a solution to unbricking. Good Luck, I can't believe anyone would try to unlock a 1.1.1 phone, after all that has been written about the bricking thing...M
well he hasn't been keeping up with the iPhone news as everyone else has, so it's more than likely bound to happen.

and unfortunately i have to do all of this without the iPhone so i'm not exactly sure what is going on. :\

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
well he hasn't been keeping up with the iPhone news as everyone else has, so it's more than likely bound to happen.

and unfortunately i have to do all of this without the iPhone so i'm not exactly sure what is going on. :\
The phone is not bricked. Assuming the phone has never been unlocked before, then this should be fairly easy. Plug the phone into the USB port, open iTunes, hold sleep+home on iPhone for exactly 10 seconds, then let go of the sleep button and continue holding the home button till iTunes prompts you to restore the phone. Restore it and update it to version 1.1.1. After that, follow these instructions and your friend should be good to go.

iPhonian: He's said nothing about the phone being previously unlocked, so why are you telling him to downgrade the baseband/revirginize the phone? This is very unnecessary.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
The phone is not bricked. Assuming the phone has never been unlocked before, then this should be fairly easy. Plug the phone into the USB port, open iTunes, hold sleep+home on iPhone for exactly 10 seconds, then let go of the sleep button and continue holding the home button till iTunes prompts you to restore the phone. Restore it and update it to version 1.1.1. After that, follow these instructions and your friend should be good to go.
Sorry, my fault. I thought he said his friends phone was unlocked, then upgraded to 1.1.1 then downgraded to 1.0.2...Sorry for the misunderstanding...M

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston

iPhonian: He's said nothing about the phone being previously unlocked, so why are you telling him to downgrade the baseband/revirginize the phone? This is very unnecessary.
thanks a lot man.
i should have just PM'd you lol, i know you knew the answer XD