Help my phone keeps locking up.

DGopher

Nov 23, 2007
I loved my phone since day one, but since I upgraded to 1.1.4 I've hated it. The phone will just lock up at random times forcing me to do a hard reset. This solution does not last very long. There have been numerous times I've had to repeat this process more than 5 times in 10 minutes. I've noticed that although the phone has no problem locking up on its own, I can touch the settings icon, and lock it up on demand. I'm not a real big fan of having a cell phone that only works when it wants to and people not being able to get ahold of me. Is there any way I can go back to 1.1.3, or am I just missing something with 1.1.4? Any other ideas would be appreciatted as well.

P.S. The phone has never been jailbroken.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
That's strange. Have you completely rebooted the phone? Hold the Lock button down on the top until you get the Slide to Power Off screen. Power the phone completely off and see if that helps.

You might already be doing this, but many times we find that people only "put their phone to sleep" by clicking the lock button and never, ever shut the phone down completely.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I loved my phone since day one, but since I upgraded to 1.1.4 I've hated it. The phone will just lock up at random times forcing me to do a hard reset. This solution does not last very long. There have been numerous times I've had to repeat this process more than 5 times in 10 minutes. I've noticed that although the phone has no problem locking up on its own, I can touch the settings icon, and lock it up on demand. I'm not a real big fan of having a cell phone that only works when it wants to and people not being able to get ahold of me. Is there any way I can go back to 1.1.3, or am I just missing something with 1.1.4? Any other ideas would be appreciatted as well.

P.S. The phone has never been jailbroken.
There's a download link for 1.1.3 both on here and on modmyifone.com. I would downgrade if you can't solve the problem. Also, have you tried doing a restore and setting up your iPhone as a new phone? I had to do that once, it was my only solution.

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
There's a download link for 1.1.3 both on here and on modmyifone.com. I would downgrade if you can't solve the problem. Also, have you tried doing a restore and setting up your iPhone as a new phone? I had to do that once, it was my only solution.
This is what my wifes phone was doing. Took it to the Apple store yesterday, they told me that its a software problem and told me to uninstall iTunes and reinstall then set up the phone as a new phone.

Rockky

Bronze
Aug 8, 2007
do youngave the catepillar app installed?

Rockky

Bronze
Aug 8, 2007
Gottcha!
yeah, weird.
But all problems with my iPod and iPhone have never failed to correct with restores...iPhone first....restoring as a new phone if need be (had a syncing recurring problem finally correct itself with a 'new' phone restore)..then , if need be, uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes if need be.
A pain I know!

Their phone is not jailbroken, so they cannot possibly have that app.

Apple124

Bronze
Mar 11, 2008
yes usually restore corrects anything.

DGopher

Nov 23, 2007
Thanks for all your help. Happily the problem seems to have resolve itself...sort of. The only thing that I have done to the phone since the original post is take off the protective case. I know this seems weird, but bare with me on this one. I dropped my phone a few months ago. As a result the left side of the backing no longer sits flush. For the past several weeks I have been rocking my phone naked. Last Thursday O decided to put the case back on. After that all the problems started. As of Sunday morning I have once again been rocking the phone naked again and have been experiencing no issues at all. I think the case may have been squeezing the side together in a manner that is causing the metal backing to interfere with some of the electrical circuits. I know this is a stretch, esspecially since I had no issues with the case between the actually phone dropping and going naked. The only other variable is the 1.1.4 update that came out after the phone went naked. Like I said it's a strech, but this odd bit of info may help someone later.