Help, my screen has completely faded

<3MyiPhone

Bronze
Sep 8, 2007
Misplaced Southern Californian
I was in the middle of watching something on my iPhone and all of a sudden the screen became completely bright and faded. I tried to restart the phone and it restarted all faded with absolutely no dark hues anymore. Anyone have any ideas? :(

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Try a resotre through iTunes, if that doesn't work then take it to a genius!

MrEous

Silver
Dec 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
Try going to settings-->brightness--> turn 'off' auto brightness.

If that doesn't work then something else is screwy...take it to an Apple Genius for a replacement.

(this is only my guess...I've never heard of that happening)

mstone

May 7, 2009
Atlanta, Ga.
Agreed, try a restore first, if that doesn't work, take it to a genius.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
MrEous - sounds like the screen is that screwed up, they cant see it to go into settings!

<3MyiPhone

Bronze
Sep 8, 2007
Called Apple yesterday. Went through 2 full restores and nothing worked. Told him I even took a screenshot of my home screen and emailed it to myself and the pictures came out fine. It all boiled down to a hardware failure. Thank goodness it is still under warranty. I guess I'll have to wait for them to send me a shipping box and wait for a replacement.

All I can say is, I'm glad I never got rid of my original iPhone, which my son has been using for games. At least I can still have an iPhone (minus 3G) while I wait for mine to get fixed. Thanks for all your input.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I've heard they are very fast. My co-worker had his hard drive crash on his new (refurbished) MacBook Pro, Apple overnighted him a shipping box and he had the computer back to him in just a few days.

Always good to have a back up. I'm thinking about keeping my 3G for a back up rather than selling it this summer when the new one comes out.

MrEous

Silver
Dec 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
MrEous - sounds like the screen is that screwed up, they cant see it to go into settings!
No offense but 'faded' to me didn't sound like 'no display'.

Hardware issue though so everything's fine.

css7493

May 8, 2009
mine just did that today, Its gotta be hardware.

I took a screenshot as well and it came out fine.

<3MyiPhone

Bronze
Sep 8, 2007
I am so furious. :mad: I received an email yesterday from Apple saying that my iPhone was being returned "as is" because of accidental damage or abuse. This phone has never been dropped, had never been without a case and has always had a zagg invisible shield as soon as I bought it.

Has anyone ever fought Apple about repairs? I am missing my iPhone 3G so badly and I don't know what I can do. What are my options?

mitchellm4

Bronze
Jan 21, 2009
Greensboro, NC
^ has it ever gotten wet? it the moisture sensors are tripped, they wont replace the phone.

<3MyiPhone

Bronze
Sep 8, 2007
They said it was water damage and I have no clue how that happened. In any case, I can't fight it so they gave me an option to service it for $199 (16gb) and they'll give me a refurbished one or I can go get a new one with a new contract for $299 or get a new one without a contract for $499.

I'm still waiting for my insurance company to see if they can do anything for me. Right now I guess I'll have to lean towards getting it serviced. I'm sure that's the cheapest route. I just don't know if I can wait for the June 8th announcement of the new iPhones but I doubt they'll be cheap either.

Plastikfear

Bronze
Jan 15, 2009
Somewhere over the rainbow
Called Apple yesterday. Went through 2 full restores and nothing worked. Told him I even took a screenshot of my home screen and emailed it to myself and the pictures came out fine. It all boiled down to a hardware failure. Thank goodness it is still under warranty. I guess I'll have to wait for them to send me a shipping box and wait for a replacement.

All I can say is, I'm glad I never got rid of my original iPhone, which my son has been using for games. At least I can still have an iPhone (minus 3G) while I wait for mine to get fixed. Thanks for all your input.
Can't you just take it to a store? When I had called Apple to see about an exchange they said to take it in to a store and they will either fix it or give me a different one.. I'd rather do that then wait a few days for a return kit, then be without a phone for a few more days... :eek:

<3MyiPhone

Bronze
Sep 8, 2007
Actually since I'm about 2.5 hours away from the nearest Apple Store, I'd just rather wait and mail it in, if that's what ends up happening. I have filed a claim with my insurance company and waiting to see when they can send someone to take a look at it.