Help needed with restore from backup

dennisd

Bronze
Nov 23, 2008
I had to reformat my PC's hard drive and had made a copy of the "mobile sync" backup folder.

I reinstalled iTunes on the new system and replaced the mobile sync folder with the copy from the old drive.

The problem is that I don't see in iTunes all the apps and the music I have purchased. If I have to reset my phone, how will I reacquire the apps and music?

How do I remove selected apps from the home pages now that they are not available in iTunes to uncheck?

Thanks,
dennisd

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
You would have needed to back up (move to a disk or whatever) your music and apps before you reformatted your hard drive. Than after you completed your reformatt you would have pasted them back in iTunes. Much like you did with your backup files. The backup files you saved and restored only contain basic iPhone information EX: email settings, customn settings on your phone, customn ring tones for users etc. Music, apps, pictures etc are not part of the backup. If you did not store them to another device before you reformatted I am afraid they are gone.

dennisd

Bronze
Nov 23, 2008
For the future, where would I find the Apps and Purchased Music folders?

Thanks
dennisd

dennisd

Bronze
Nov 23, 2008
Actually, I found the answer to my question. When the iPhone is connected to iTunes, under the File Menu, there is an item to transfer purchases from the device. If necessary you might have to re-authorize the computer. I saw this option in the store menu and selected it, but I don't know if I had to do that at all. I suggest trying the transfer first as Apple only allows 5 opportunities to authorize a computer.

dennisd