Help new iPhone owner please

53AN

Dec 9, 2008
hello all I am new to the iPhone I just bought the 8gig 3g yesterday and love it it is awesome. but I am having problems getting it to hook into my iTunes. ok first off I had an old versoin of iTunes and through google I found out I needed to download a newer version so.... I downloaded iTunes version 8.x.x.x (whatever the new one is) and deleted my old iTunes off my computer. then I installed the new iTunes and it wouldn't open I kept getting an error message so I did more searching and found that I needed to do the regedit and erase all my iTunes (not the songs) and quicktime did that uninstalled quick time and every thing then I realized I need quick time to run iTunes (that is just what I thought no one told me) so I downloaded the new version of qicktime installed that the iTunes finally worked (woohoo!) now when I hook up my iPhone it does recognize it but it says

"This iPhone cannot be used because the required software is not installed. Run iTunes installer to remove iTunes ,then install iTunes again"

now I have done that several times and also did the same with quicktime but it still says the same thing and I have searched all over the place and found no one with the same problem. do I need to install safari? because I don't have any type of safari

also I am using a pc running windows xp with the 2nd pack or whatever it is called idk.

I would appreciate some help from you guys thanks for reading

one more thing I have done all this with a 56k connect that moves at more like 3k it took me 4 hours to download iTunes and 2hours to download quicktime

ihack

Bronze
Nov 7, 2008
Orange Park, FL
From my experience. I had to go the Apple site. It has instictions on how to delete everything that is installed with iTunes. I had to delete and uninstall a bunch of crap. Afterwords was all good.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Have you rebooted your computer iPhone still attached via USB since taking all the steps you took. Also do you have your music backed up on an external hard drive or other form of media. When uninstalling and downloading a fresh version of iTunes. Before installing the new version and after uninstalling the old version you may have to (on Windows) go to My Computer>Right click on C drive> click explore> open program files>delete any iTunes, Quicktime or Apple files ONLY DO THIS IF YOUR iTunes MUSIC IS BACKED UP to EXTERNAL MEDIA! As this method will delete any old iTunes files left behind. INCLUDING YOUR iTUNES MUSIC FOLDER!

Try rebooting first before the drastic method of deleteing the files in PRogram Files... Mark

53AN

Dec 9, 2008
I deleted every single thing with Apple or quicktime in it's name at all, restarted my computer installed iTunes and quicktime again and still have the same problem. I don't have any idea what to do now I will continue to look for more info

thanks for the help Swagger

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
I deleted every single thing with Apple or quicktime in it's name at all, restarted my computer installed iTunes and quicktime again and still have the same problem. I don't have any idea what to do now I will continue to look for more info

thanks for the help Swagger
I had a problem somewhat like this one time and called Apple They told me it had to be removed in a specific order to remove all the parts so you would have no conflicts . I just don't know what you do if you have alredy removed it all

ystress

Dec 9, 2008
Mpls, MN
If you Music is backed up, disconnect you iPhone and try using the following tool:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx

This is a tool from Microsoft to clean up your registry. Look for anything related to iTunes and remove it. Then install the latest iTunes again and follow the instructions to install your iPhone.

53AN

Dec 9, 2008
ok I am down loading the microsoft thing right now. I have another problem every time I get into the app store My iPhone seems to think it is in another country! I try to download an app I use my iTunes id and pass it seems to start downloading then it says my iTunes account is only good for us iTunes store then I go back to the apps store and i am in the us app store. BUT... even when I am on my friends wifi connection at his house it will not even let me in the iTunes store WTF!. I do not know how i am going to the wrong countries store or how to get back to the us store. is there somthing wrong with my iPhone or is it because I have not sync'd it with my pc?