Help on Baseband/JBing :(

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by iphoneCrazy, Apr 6, 2012.

1. iphoneCrazy

iphoneCrazy New Member

Sorry if its a repost... Guyz..I am totally new to JBing (new to this site as well )....but this baseband issue is really confusing me and scaring me from JBing my iPhone 4. I have few queries. IF you experts can help me out..really appreciate it

1> I have an iPhone4 its a Factory Unlocked phone. (i am assuming it so, because I bought it as a factory unlocked, and I have updated it multiple times via iTunes, I even three diff. sims into the phone it worked fine), Also, there is no sign of any Cydia or JB related stuff inside the phone. IS there anything else to confirm its a FU phone? Model: MC603HN

2> Now I was looking for JBing tools and help all over the net and found this site helpful, but as I mentioned I have no idea about wat and how a baseband effects my phone by updating via iTunes or JBing..some queries on BAseband:

a> What is it exactly?
    b> How does it change (as in how does it update to some version, 4.Xx.xx or watever etc etc.. is it through each OS /Delta update from Apple ? )
    c> Each and every phone is having a diff. baseband (as per info on the net, wat does tat mean?)
    d> So if my iPhone is FU and if JB using say redsn0w, will my baseband update ?
    d.1> - if my baseband updates on JBing , does it update to some dev. made firmware update or an official Apple update?
    d.2> - After update and JBing, say in the future if I want to come back to stock OS, and I happen to update via iTunes (losing JB), will my baseband change back to the Apple's baseband or will it fail and if it fails, wat will happen to my phone?
    e> I have been advised by many to PRESERVE BASEBAND using redSnOw and go ahead. So wat will be the case for d.2> (above query) now?

btw my baseband now is: 4 12 1

3> Right now I have upgraded to 5.1. So I see there are no untethered JBs for 5.1 yet. So if I wan to go back to 5.0.1 and try. is it possible?

Please bear with me and try to answer my queries. As I am the guy who likes to keep the Stock features of the phone intact at the same time try to fiddle with other options like JBing. Too much greed :/

thanks in advance for your patience guyz...

#1 iphoneCrazy, Apr 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2013
  2. snowtrooper1966

Gold

I'm no expert by any stretch, but I will say that there is no way to revert down to 5.0.1
    Good news since your using a 4, from the dev team blog:

"This is a *tethered* 5.1 jailbreak for non-A5 devices. You’ll need to use redsn0w to “Just Boot” your device every time it power cycles, otherwise jailbreak apps won’t work (neither will Safari)."

I don't think jailbreak will negatively affect your factory unlock. I'm sure others will chime in....

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. iphoneCrazy

iphoneCrazy New Member

Thanks snowtrooper, one of the queries is answered :). But I wanted to know about the basebands in details (see queries). lets hope they too get answered.

4. snowtrooper1966

Gold

A quick google search tells me baseband change does not effect factory unlock.

5. fijiman

fijiman Contributor
    Silver

FYI..... Only A4(iPhone4) and lower devices can downgrade firmware if the SHSH files are saved....

If your on the latest baseband(04.12.01) on your iPhone4 and use 3 different sims it's safe to say you have a factory unlocked iPhone....
    When jailbreaking no need to preserve baseband as this is NOT required...

I've been using the Tethered jailbreak for 5.1 since release, on my iPhone4 and had no problems living with it....
    You need to understand the difference between a Tethered and UnTethered jailbreak:)

Ask questions when it does hit the fan...;)

6. iphoneCrazy

iphoneCrazy New Member

Wow, thats a relief! Ya, Tethered I understand, u need to make sure your battery stays alive. :) hopefully, there will be an Untethered JB soon.

Now, Few more questions :) :
    1> You said latest baseband 4.12.01..how did u know that its the latest baseband and how did u tell that its a baseband for FU iPhones?

2> Say I go crazy and Preserve baseband, what exactly am I doing here.
    (i know if this baseband is supported for unlock, i can unlock the phone easily)
    Though I will not be doing any Unlock operation after jailbreaking, in general for non FU iPhones, what happens with the baseband does it change? so if it changes is it changed after the unlock operation? And if I update tomorrow to say 5.2 (stock), what will happen ?

Please bear with me:confused: . I want to be very sure what I am doing or NOT doing :cautious:

Thanks in advance :)

7. fijiman

fijiman Contributor
    Silver

Modem firmware 04.12.01(baseband) relates to the software version you have installed, this controls the phone part of your iPhone. It's installed independently of ios firmware being installed. iTunes will always install the newest baseband(iPhone specific) unless prevented. Myself I have no need to unlock and on the latest baseband 04.12.01.

You only ever need to preserve baseband if your intending to Restore your iPhone through iTune. In your case not really needed. You can contact Apple to confirm your factory unlock status.

8. iphoneCrazy

iphoneCrazy New Member

You only ever need to preserve baseband if your intending to Restore your iPhone through iTune.
    What I infer from above is that, if at any point I want to come out of my JB and restore my iPhone as if its out from an Apple store. And hence updating my IOS / basebands from iTunes (official).

In your case not really needed. You can contact Apple to confirm your factory unlock status.
    And if my iPhone is FU, it does not really matter what baseband my phone will have, and if I restore using iTunes, it does not matter, it will still update my basebands as it was doing earlier before JB.