Help please!1

Jun 15, 2008
I need help making a decision. I have the v1 iPhone and my warranty is ending this June. Does anyone think I should just get Apple care for the v1 instead of getting the 3g? I am debating on whether or not to get it?! ANY? also. It's legit to sell it on Ebay or somewhere, is that correct? Will I need it in getting the 3g?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I need help making a decision. I have the v1 iPhone and my warranty is ending this June. Does anyone think I should just get Apple care for the v1 instead of getting the 3g? I am debating on whether or not to get it?! ANY? also. It's legit to sell it on Ebay or somewhere, is that correct? Will I need it in getting the 3g?
IMO, I think you shouldnt get AppleCare and just buy the new one. Yes, it is legit to sell on eBay...I don't recommend selling on craigslist however...and no you wont need the V1 iPhone to buy the new one.

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
There are a couple of things to think about. Do you want 3G? Do you get 3G where you spend the most of your time? Do you mind spending $30/month for data? Are you willing to spend more money on text messaging? This isn't for sure, but it seems like the data plan isn't going to include text messaging like the v1 plan did.

If you're going to keep the original iPhone, I would seriously consider AppleCare.

Joe

Nikki205

Bronze
Oct 8, 2007
Applecare vs 3G phone

Things To Consider:

Cost for Applecare is $69 for extra year of coverage past first year. Not sure but it seems like it would include replacement of battery.

New 3G phone would cost $199 (8Mb) or $130 assuming one does not have to get Applecare for the first year. This would include one year of warranty coverage.
However extra cost of $10/mth more for 3G and $5 for text messages(200) would add $180 ($15x12mths) to cost of ownership for the first year.

I would assume that when current contracts expire for initial buyers of V1, we will be forced to pay new rates for basic message service ($5 for 200 units ?)
I live in an area where 3G is operational. Still don't know what I'll do. Any suggestions how to decide.

juzcallmeg0d

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
Things To Consider:

Cost for Applecare is $69 for extra year of coverage past first year. Not sure but it seems like it would include replacement of battery.

New 3G phone would cost $199 (8Mb) or $130 assuming one does not have to get Applecare for the first year. This would include one year of warranty coverage.
However extra cost of $10/mth more for 3G and $5 for text messages(200) would add $180 ($15x12mths) to cost of ownership for the first year.

I would assume that when current contracts expire for initial buyers of V1, we will be forced to pay new rates for basic message service ($5 for 200 units ?)
I live in an area where 3G is operational. Still don't know what I'll do. Any suggestions how to decide.
you shouldnt need to pay new rates when your contract expires. just because your contract expires doesn't mean your plan does. when your contract expires, all it means is you are free to cut off the service without a termination fee. If you do nothing, service continues just as it did while you were in contract. even if u upgrade, your prices and services should not change. if they do, question it because as far as i know (things may have changed since i was selling AT&T) nothing should change.

iconone

Zealot
Gold
Apr 8, 2008
Clear Lake Texas
IMO, I think you shouldnt get AppleCare and just buy the new one. Yes, it is legit to sell on eBay...I don't recommend selling on craigslist however...and no you wont need the V1 iPhone to buy the new one.
Why don't you recommend selling it on craigslist?